+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Jack Charlton.

Many people will have forgotten or not realise that he managed Sheffield Wednesday.

Nevertheless a sad loss and a wonderful player in his day

A great character from the 'good old days'. Very sad.

Condolences to family and friends.

In fact Jackie was the Manager when Joe McBride scored one of our most iconic goals

Just spent 40 minutes listening to his views on football and life, recorded around 1996 I think. Worth listening to if you have the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0093n6w

Over the years I have grown to like him but my personal abiding memory is in the FA Cup when after a 0:0 at Millmoor we went to Elland Road and were 2:1 up when JC comitted the most outrageous foul on our defender to get them back in the game and we lost 3:2. I believe however justice was done in the next round when Colchester dumped them out.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Many people will have forgotten or not realise that he managed Sheffield Wednesday.

Nevertheless a sad loss and a wonderful player in his day
    Would have thought the majority of people who post on here are aware of the fact he managed our neighbours, however the fact hardly anyone has mentioned it shows the high regard and respect they have for the man's achievements in the game

RIP Jack Charlton

Quote Originally Posted by miller172 View Post
    Would have thought the majority of people who post on here are aware of the fact he managed our neighbours, however the fact hardly anyone has mentioned it shows the high regard and respect they have for the man's achievements in the game

RIP Jack Charlton

Yes, one of their more successful managers, there for about 6 years, which is somewhat of an achievement by today’s standards.

One of the few managers that Wednesday didn’t sack as he left the club after resigning from the job.

RIP Jack, a proper character for sure. Can you imagine him in today's game lol. Alan Knill always reminded me of him in his playing days.

His brother Tom is urging the government to award Jack a posthumous knighthood. Although I am no great fan of our honours system it is disgraceful that all our 1966 cup winners have not received this honour when you think how they throw knighthoods about like confetti these days.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    In fact Jackie was the Manager when Joe McBride scored one of our most iconic goals
    Big Jack was also wednesday manager when Tony Towner did an Iconic dive, hence the chant 'Dive of the Tiger' the dive is iconic simply because of the opposition.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast