+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wor Jack...

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    This sucks so badly, woke up to the news and honestly it's like the whole of Ireland has gone into mourning, he gave us guys and gals over here some of the most amazing memories growing up, a gentleman off the pitch also, a true legend gone too soon
    I'm English and I wasn't even born in 1966 but I loved watching the achievements of that Irish Republic team in the early 1990s. Great memories from my youth. RIP Jack.

Jack Charlton may have actually had a huge and detrimental impact on our history. He decided to quit Sheffield Wednesday in May 1983 despite pleas from the directors for him to stay. His replacement, Howard Wilkinson.

Anybody remember seeing Big Jack play at Meadow Lane for Leeds in the early-mid 1950s (I'm assuming he must have done). He twice came to ML as a visiting manager (Middlesbrough 1973/74 and Sheffield Wednesday 1980/81).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm English and I wasn't even born in 1966 but I loved watching the achievements of that Irish Republic team in the early 1990s. Great memories from my youth. RIP Jack.
    Great message man, simply the best time to he an Irish fan, I was very young but Italia 90 was my first proper introduction to football... he took us from laughing stocks to World Cup quarter finalists... he will never be replaced as Ireland's greatest ever manager.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Great message man, simply the best time to he an Irish fan, I was very young but Italia 90 was my first proper introduction to football... he took us from laughing stocks to World Cup quarter finalists... he will never be replaced as Ireland's greatest ever manager.
    Assuming there will be a funeral in Northumberland and cameras are able to record the coffin being carried into the church, it would make for a very powerful image if his coffin were to be draped with the flags of both England and Ireland.

Really hope my memory is not playing tricks on me but I seem to recall Jack being interviewed on radio Nott’m many, many years ago when he was asked about refereeing standards in his day. He recounted a story where some little striker had committed a leg breaking challenge on Jack who had then chased the culprit down the pitch and lifted him up by the hair. The ref who had managed to keep up with proceedings booked Charlton saying something along the lines “Charlton I should send you off for that offence but the little bu**er deserved it”.

RIP Jack Charlton.

Name:  JACK.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  34.3 KB

Don't know whether he was defending a Free Kick at the time . " King of Cool" , and hard as nails. Great man

Apparently a relative was saying, everywhere he went over here for a drink or a bite to eat he was told "on the house" but always insisted on paying but always by cheque. Still didn't cost him anything as all the places wanted to frame the cheque as it had his name on it

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Apparently a relative was saying, everywhere he went over here for a drink or a bite to eat he was told "on the house" but always insisted on paying but always by cheque. Still didn't cost him anything as all the places wanted to frame the cheque as it had his name on it
    Its absolutely true Pete, I know 2 bars that have a signed pic of Jack and the cheque is also in the picture frame... what a brilliant man he was

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Assuming there will be a funeral in Northumberland and cameras are able to record the coffin being carried into the church, it would make for a very powerful image if his coffin were to be draped with the flags of both England and Ireland.
    Dude it sounds great it really does, unfortunately there will be some people who would have a problem with this idea... I would love it if i'm honest, he was a proud Englishman and an honorary Irish man

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Anybody remember seeing Big Jack play at Meadow Lane for Leeds in the early-mid 1950s (I'm assuming he must have done). He twice came to ML as a visiting manager (Middlesbrough 1973/74 and Sheffield Wednesday 1980/81).
    There were actually three Charlton brothers, and believe it or not I saw all three of them make appearances at Meadow Lane, though only one as a player. I saw Jack as a manager in the games mentioned above, and Bobby as manager of Preston on 20 October 1973 (the game in which Stubbsy nobbled Nobby Stiles). I bet not many people know that the youngest Charlton brother - Gordon - played for Bradford Park Avenue Reserves v Notts Reserves at Meadow Lane on 8 January 1969, I was there and I've still got the one-page programme that they used to print in those days. He was rubbish (poor lad) but it didn't stop fans asking for his autograph as he left the field.

Name:  Gordon Charlton Dec69.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  83.0 KB
    Last edited by tied_up_in_notts; 13-07-2020 at 02:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast