+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Jack Charlton

R.I.P. Jack Charlton

R.I.P. Jack Charlton . A great defender and a member of the World Cup wining side in 1966.

RIP Jack, I wonder if he'll take his little Black Book to the grave with him, or will we now get to peep inside ? Good lad was Jack, I liked him, even if he did play for dirty Leeds.

Good at man management, but played for one of the most disliked , dirty football teams this country has ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Good at man management, but played for one of the most disliked , dirty football teams this country has ever known.
    He was a centre-half, it made no difference that he played for Leeds imo, he just did what all centre-halves did at the time, which was kick people. If you played against John Talbot, Dave Merrington or Colin Blant, you'd have come off just as black and blue as if you'd played against Jack Charlton. And if you were playing against Colin Blant, you were lucky if you weren't carried off.

The difference was that Leeds had 10 outfield players just the same and a crooked manager to go with it. Fortunately , Burnley were never in that category.

A tough, uncompromising centre half who was part of the team that I was lucky enough to see lift the World Cup in an era when football was worth watching.
    He was always approachable and enjoyed a chat if ever you met him in the Northumberland countryside. He was proud of his heritage and was well respected in Ashington. RIP Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    The difference was that Leeds had 10 outfield players just the same and a crooked manager to go with it. Fortunately , Burnley were never in that category.
    That may be the case Mal, but you can't blame Jack Charlton for the fact that his manager was a ****. When he played for England he was magnificent, a credit to his country. And I don't doubt for one minute that he would NOT have done to Frank Casper what Norman Hunter did. There were hard players and there were evil b@stards like Hunter, Jack was one of the former imo.

The man is revered in Eire. My favourite "Jack" moment was when he wanted to kill Nobby Stiles for disobeying his "orders" in the 1966 World Cup Final.

R.I.P. Big fella. God's speed.

Lineker on MOTD had to apologise for saying Jack managed Sheffield United, we pay that toe-rag a lot of money to talk out of his arse, but that's the BBC for you.

I would always listen to Jack Charlton on any interview he did, a gentle well read man.

R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)