+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T spitfire flyby tribute to the NHS

O/T spitfire flyby tribute to the NHS

A spitfire will fly over RDGH today at 5.25pm as a tribute to the NHS staff.

Hopefully it’s not a Fokker

Our chip shop has only just recovered

Really enjoyed seeing this tonight. Never heard or seen a Spitfire live before, what an engine, what a noise and more importantly what a tribute to those STILL on the frontline fighting this atrocious disease.

Flew over Brinsworth down the side of the M1, made two passes via a circular flyover before flying across RDGH twice, very moving indeed.

About 10 years or so ago I came across a guy that had a fully working Merlin engine mounted on a stand.

He demonstrated it to us at an open day, it was awesome to see and hear close up.

I bet the sound was deafening. I was quite emotional when I saw it and immediately cast my thoughts back to WW2 and what those ace fliers of ours conjured up in the Battle of Britain.

I tried to explain to my Wife and Daughter why I was so excited to see a beautiful flying example but, it just flew over their head.

Flew over their head, boom boom

Being a complete anorak, just to be technically correct, the engine you heard might not have been a Merlin.

Depending which Spitfire was sent over by the BBMF it could have been a Packard Merlin engine or a Griffon 66, these two engines were fitted in the later Spitfire’s and sound a bit more “throaty”

Incidentally you might google “Miss Shilling’s orifice” it’s a good read.

Would love to have seen this. Bravo.

Two spitfires flew over Greasbrough, brilliant to see.