+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Portsmouth ready to explore different options to get McGeehan

Portsmouth ready to explore different options to get McGeehan

Portsmouth ready to explore alternative route to get Barnsley's Cameron McGeehan to Fratton

Pompey are ready to explore the possibility of a renewed loan to get Cameron McGeehan to Fratton Park next season.
    The midfielder is a wanted man by Kenny Jackett after his loan stay from Championship Barnsley came to a close.

McGeehan was under the spotlight this week as his missed penalty condemned the Blues to another season in League One, as they lost on penalties to Oxford United at the Kassam Stadium.

That brought his loan stay at Fratton Park to a disappointing close after arriving in January, but there is a desire from both player and club for McGeehan to be wearing a Pompey shirt next season.

The News revealed on Tuesday Jackett is ready to move to land the 25-year-old and remains a big fan of former Luton talent’s passing quality in the middle of the park.

There are significant obstacles in that path, however, with Pompey feeling the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic like the rest of the English game.

They are looking at a gaping hole in their budget with supporters, at best, likely to be restricted in the numbers who can attend home games for a sizeable part of the 2020-21 campaign

There is also the massive issue of the onset of a wage cap to factor in, with League One likely to be operating under a £2.5m ceiling in the new campaign.
    That could leave a loan move as a viable alternative, with McGeehan having 12 months remaining on his existing deal at Barnsley.

It remains to be seen how receptive the Oakwell hierarchy would be to such a move, however, although it appears McGeehan’s days at the club are numbered. The Londoner was out of favour under boss Gerhard Struber, following his arrival last November.

We'd do well to get a hundred grand for him in this current climate now .

Looks to me like it's going to be a case of just getting players off the books and taking a hit on the fees .

Cost in advance of £700k did Cam Mac if memory serves me right .

Not sure if we are going to get much more than what we paid for Woodrow either .

In this climate nobody is worth anything like they were pre pandemic .

But isnt he the type of player we need?

You can question his product but he will leave a foot and let the opposition know hes about. We havent got another like him. His is the fighting spirit ive been talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    But isnt he the type of player we need?

You can question his product but he will leave a foot and let the opposition know hes about. We havent got another like him. His is the fighting spirit ive been talking about.
    Well it's that old 12 months left on his deal chestnut Ethel .

He's a southern kid , Pompey are a decent sized club and he's done well for em by all accounts .

Struber's cleared out Wilks and Cam Mac who'd probably do alreight in league one and then he'll pyss off his sen once we are relegated leaving us with Ritzmaier as his legacy .

Keep him and get rid of struber and get an English H/C who knows lg 1 and the championship inside out oh well I can still keep on dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Keep him and get rid of struber and get an English H/C who knows lg 1 and the championship inside out oh well I can still keep on dreaming
    Geezer at Pompey is an English born ( capped for Wales ) manager...... He doesn’t have a lot of success lately in League one Dooali....

Keep him for now , see what happens to Snitzel Struber , if we are to get a new Coach ? Mcgeecan may be wanted back here ,

I think our owners will grasp at whatever money they can get this summer. The consequences on the pitch of selling players will be well down their list of priorities. You could almost say profit before ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I think our owners will grasp at whatever money they can get this summer. The consequences on the pitch of selling players will be well down their list of priorities. You could almost say profit before ambition.
    That med me chuckle SB, great delivery.

So a season long loan , will we get owt forrim if that happens ? Or are Pompey paying all his wages so it won't cost us paying him, leaving us to free up money to pay for anutha Jud Miller !!