+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Is the WHO value for money?

O/T Is the WHO value for money?

Donald Trump has indicated the US will stop funding the WHO over its clear inadequacies, and its clear bias towards China.

Look at the table below to see who are the main contributing countries as a percentage (countries only)

US 15%
    UK 9%
    Germany 7%
    Japan 2.5%
    EU 6%
    China 1%
    France 1%
    Canada 1%
    Italy 1%
    Russia 1%
    Australia 1%

Don't know much about what they do tbh. I didn't know they existed before covid. If USA pull out funding. Is there much point in keeping it going unless someone is going to take up the slack?

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Don't know much about what they do tbh. I didn't know they existed before covid. If USA pull out funding. Is there much point in keeping it going unless someone is going to take up the slack?
    So far as I am aware the shortfall in funding was made up almost immediately by other countries increasing contributions.

Will they keep doing that though?.

I’m sure the world is a better place for their existence. Whether or not they are value for money is rather more difficult to answer. Suppose it depends on how much you contribute. It’s clear that some countries pay a lot more than others. Some rich countries on that list pay very little. Missing from that list is the BIll and Malinda gates foundation who contribute almost as much as the UK.
    People are happy to take USA money and seem shocked when the largest donor asks for reforms.
    He WHO pays the piper!

Theres a much bigger picture (in my opinion). This is clearly a political move by Trump. Covid came in the midst of Trump trade war with China. Trump is trying to force countries to take sides. Hes using WHO as a political pawn.

Its not 'clear' WHO is favouring China. Although Trumps propaganda machine wants us to believe that. In cold light of day what evidence is there (although some will make the argument - but not really my point)?

The real interesting part in this is how the modern political machine works and its use of social media to deliver their message. GM on the surface of it makes a fairly innocent post. But there is much deeper meaning. Trump has been able to engineer a local debate on a UK football message board). The reach into the community is incredible.

Through his many tweets and posts, Trump and his team have alligned WHO with China (the China Virus and Kung Fu Flu). And attack on WHO implicates China as the enermy.* Post like this about WHO which creates a local coversation on social media platforms and building anti China rheteric.

Got to give credit, it's outstanding politics.

The problems for Britain are stark. During the Brexit referendum the mantra was we needed to break free from shackles of the EU to forge trading relationship with the rest if the World, China and USA in particular.

During the Brexit debate I warned against a trade deal with China. I said 1. It is not desirable and 2. Would not be as easy as some suggested. I have experience of working there. Experience meant nothing in the brexit debate and I was shouted down by posters like Big Lad.

Arch Brexiteer Duncan Smith has this to say: "In a race for trade and investment over the past decade, “the free world has marched somewhat blindly into the embrace of [the] Chinese Communist party”. Unfortunately, it was now clear that China was intent on “complete dominance” globally. Speaking to the BBC last month, he went so far as to suggest that revolution was afoot: “While China is a great nation, it’s posing a threat to the natural order.”

Why didnt he warn of this threat before the Brexit referendum?

The key is what he means by 'threat to the natural order'. I think he means the shift of wealth from the West to the East (which Ive posted about before).

The problem we face (in Britain) is who to side with. We are compelled to leave the EU (Get Brexit Done* - drives a wedge between our natural trading allies in Europe - chasing a bigger pot of gold - make Britain Great Again). There is* growing resentment against China (the Brexiteer right wing of the Tory are lining up against Beijing so it seems increasingly unlikely). It appears to forces us straight into an alliance with Trump (and posts like gms helps with that process).

Be careful of what we wish for my friends. The World is at a crossroad.

China wants to be "the only superpower", I don't think that's a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Theres a much bigger picture (in my opinion). This is clearly a political move by Trump. Covid came in the midst of Trump trade war with China. Trump is trying to force countries to take sides. Hes using WHO as a political pawn.

Its not 'clear' WHO is favouring China. Although Trumps propaganda machine wants us to believe that. In cold light of day what evidence is there (although some will make the argument - but not really my point)?

The real interesting part in this is how the modern political machine works and its use of social media to deliver their message. GM on the surface of it makes a fairly innocent post. But there is much deeper meaning. Trump has been able to engineer a local debate on a UK football message board). The reach into the community is incredible.

Through his many tweets and posts, Trump and his team have alligned WHO with China (the China Virus and Kung Fu Flu). And attack on WHO implicates China as the enermy.* Post like this about WHO which creates a local coversation on social media platforms and building anti China rheteric.

Got to give credit, it's outstanding politics.

The problems for Britain are stark. During the Brexit referendum the mantra was we needed to break free from shackles of the EU to forge trading relationship with the rest if the World, China and USA in particular.

During the Brexit debate I warned against a trade deal with China. I said 1. It is not desirable and 2. Would not be as easy as some suggested. I have experience of working there. Experience meant nothing in the brexit debate and I was shouted down by posters like Big Lad.

Arch Brexiteer Duncan Smith has this to say: "In a race for trade and investment over the past decade, “the free world has marched somewhat blindly into the embrace of [the] Chinese Communist party”. Unfortunately, it was now clear that China was intent on “complete dominance” globally. Speaking to the BBC last month, he went so far as to suggest that revolution was afoot: “While China is a great nation, it’s posing a threat to the natural order.”

Why didnt he warn of this threat before the Brexit referendum?

The key is what he means by 'threat to the natural order'. I think he means the shift of wealth from the West to the East (which Ive posted about before).

The problem we face (in Britain) is who to side with. We are compelled to leave the EU (Get Brexit Done* - drives a wedge between our natural trading allies in Europe - chasing a bigger pot of gold - make Britain Great Again). There is* growing resentment against China (the Brexiteer right wing of the Tory are lining up against Beijing so it seems increasingly unlikely). It appears to forces us straight into an alliance with Trump (and posts like gms helps with that process).

Be careful of what we wish for my friends. The World is at a crossroad.
    Wow, I didnt realise the weight and gravitas of this post would shake the world so much.

In terms of contribution to GDP it seems out of kilter, China are not paying their way

If Trump said grass was green and the sky was blue, I'd ask for second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Wow, I didnt realise the weight and gravitas of this post would shake the world so much.

In terms of contribution to GDP it seems out of kilter, China are not paying their way
    Could it be that China does pay more than it fair share...how how do you quantify contributions that don’t show up in published accounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast