+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Cricket

O/T:- Cricket

Great game, bad result. Well done to the West Indies though and a big thank for coming over ( and Pakistan ) at this difficult time. Showed real bravery, leaving your families behind to live in a bubble.ps. Any chance you could let us win the next 2 tests?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Great game, bad result. Well done to the West Indies though and a big thank for coming over ( and Pakistan ) at this difficult time. Showed real bravery, leaving your families behind to live in a bubble.ps. Any chance you could let us win the next 2 tests?
    Great to see cricket back, but a disappointing result. We just didn't bat well enough in our first innings or bowl well enough in their first innings. We made a fight of it, but they were always in the driving seat and deserved the win.

It seems we might get a mini-season of county cricket in both the red and white ball format. Hope so, because it always offers an interest when there is usually no football.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Great to see cricket back, but a disappointing result. We just didn't bat well enough in our first innings or bowl well enough in their first innings. We made a fight of it, but they were always in the driving seat and deserved the win.

It seems we might get a mini-season of county cricket in both the red and white ball format. Hope so, because it always offers an interest when there is usually no football.
    Not batting well enough in the first innings can be attributed to winning the toss and batting in bowler friendly conditions. A poor decision that gave the WIndies the impetus. We have not played any meaningful cricket for months and asking the batters to go out in those conditions was daft. We should have put them to the sword instead decided to pile the pressure on ourselves.
    Well played WIndies.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Not batting well enough in the first innings can be attributed to winning the toss and batting in bowler friendly conditions. A poor decision that gave the WIndies the impetus. We have not played any meaningful cricket for months and asking the batters to go out in those conditions was daft. We should have put them to the sword instead decided to pile the pressure on ourselves.
    Well played WIndies.
    Looking at those conditions on the first day, it did seem a strange decision to bat but I think we can forgive Ben Stokes a little!

ps. Not played it for years but great to hear club cricket is back as well. I remember being asked to umpire once and I gave the opposition captain out......run out. None of them would talk to me in the pub after the game!
    Last edited by navypie; 12-07-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Looking at those conditions on the first day, it did seem a strange decision to bat but I think we can forgive Ben Stokes a little!

ps. Not played it for years but great to hear club cricket is back as well. I remember being asked to umpire once and I gave the opposition captain out......run out. None of them would talk to me in the pub after the game!
    100 runs short..

Just goes to show what I know about cricket, I was all for nudging Stuart Broad towards the door.

Just goes to show what I know about cricket, I was all for nudging Stuart Broad towards the door.
    He keeps proving people wrong with superb performances - if only he would change his football team he would be the complete sportsman.

I think the age thing is just as overrated in cricket as it is in football. You are only too old when the younger option is better, and how many younger options in the pace bowler department do England have that are more likely to take wickets than Stuart Broad and Jimmy Anderson?

He has been England’s best bowler the last two years and as much everyone loves Stokes he made a bad call picking his mate Wood in the first test.

Stokes is never going to be a captain with that judgment who picks Wood/Archer over a bloke who has got nearly 500 wickets ? An idiot that’s who and I was fuming when he did it.

The bloke is only 34 he probably has a few years left yet if he stays fit.