+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Wolves Match Preview

Burnley v Wolves Match Preview

Wind the clock back to March 2019 and I was in a packed Turf Moor with my granddaughters for Sean’s 300th game in charge. The match had barely begun when we were on our feet cheering what we thought was Chris Wood’s tidy finish from Dwight McNeil’s quick free kick. Only when we got home did we realise Wood’s shot had rebounded off the post and been bundled into his own net by Wolves skipper Conor Coady. McNeil really announced his presence with the killer second goal driving at the Wolves defence and firing low into the corner of the net. Tom Heaton was our keeper and captain. Roll on 16 months and Wolves are our opponents again. They come in fine form after a decisive 3-0 victory over Everton and seeking European football. Their route to Europe may well be determined by the outcome of Manchester City’s appeal against their two year ban. We will find out the result of that appeal later this morning. What is not in doubt is that this will be another very tough test for the Clarets as we seek our highest ever Premier League points total. Nick Pope who is still chasing the Golden Gloves award will be hoping to continue the fine form from our game at Anfield that drew some stinting praise from Jurgen Klopp. James Tarkowski will presumably continue as stand in skipper and partner Kevin Long at the heart of our defence. COYC!

In my honest opinion these are two of the best clubs operating throughout the history of the English professional game.

Both have history, heritage and a real pedigree and it is great pleasure to see both clubs doing well in the Premier League.

2-0 Burnley.

Attachment 16305

BT : did Blackburn and Everton have the same kit manufacturer in those days ?!! I also notice that there a few clubs amongst the original 12 whose kit is nothing like the modern day version.

The history of the shirts worn in 1888 and the clubs current kits would undoubtedly fill a book. Burnley we know switched to claret & blue in 1910 but I am not sure when Wolves adopted their now famous gold and black colours. Out of darkness cometh light. Like BT I have a considerable regard for Wolves. We were both Champions of England in the same era and both spiralled down through all the divisions before working their way back to the top flight. NES is one of the most likeable managers in the PL. Nevertheless I will only be truly happy with a clean sheet and a win.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    BT : did Blackburn and Everton have the same kit manufacturer in those days ?!! I also notice that there a few clubs amongst the original 12 whose kit is nothing like the modern day version.
    No idea malwayne, I feel like it sometimes, but I was not around in 1888. Best ask sinkov!

Adidas if I remember correctly.

Both Burnley and Wolves have won all the old four division titles..

I've often thought the same about Burnley. Both very similar clubs with similar histories.
    Both had great success and it was Burnley who pipped Wolves on the last day of the season to stop us doing the double a season before Spurs did it.
    Both have dropped down the leagues but are well in the mix these days.

Massive game on Wednesday for both.

Football shirts : ''BT : did Blackburn and Everton have the same kit manufacturer in those days ?!! '' See for yourself :

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Everton/Everton.htm

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Blac...urn_Rovers.htm

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Burnley/Burnley.htm

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    No idea malwayne, I feel like it sometimes, but I was not around in 1888. Best ask sinkov!
    I think you'll find BT that it was the Club Secretary responsible for the playing kit back in those days. Anything else you want to know just ask, always happy to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)