+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Drink Drivers

O/T Drink Drivers

I'm sorry to raise this issue whilst the season is still in progress but last Thursday we had parked our car legally adjacent to the footpath where we walk the dogs. We have parked in the same place for more than ten years without any issues and one or two other dog owners park there whom we often chat to. This was 3.30 in the afternoon and children and mums were also there on the way home from school. I had switched the engine off, my wife was half way out of the car (she sits there with the dogs and had just released their harnesses). I had opened my door and had turned to get out (it takes me a second or two longer due to arthritis etc) when, for some reason (instinct maybe), I saw this vehicle bearing down on us at some speed! This gave me a split second to brace myself before the inevitable impact took place. Out car was pushed back about seven yards before coming too rest, .unfortunately my wife was thrown out of the car but with her leg trapped causing her to be dragged backwards with the car!! The other vehicle spun round and ended up on its side!
    We were attended by seven police vehicles plus an unmarked police car, two ambulances, paramedic, two fire engines and a film crew. The road had to be closed both ways. We had nasty injuries but not serious which was very fortunate. My wife was the most badly hurt with multiple bruising, grazing all over and one leg with a massive hemotoma. We stayed in hospital until midnight. The dogs bolted but my son managed to find them. They both had minor injuries to the face. The other driver suffered minor injuries and didn't need to attend hospital.
    Our car is a write off and we are in the process of sorting out insurance, underwriters, a courtesy car and a personal claim and we want to retrieve personal items from the car. Do you get any support, sympathy or help from these people, no ducking way! They are about as helpful as an angry wasp! Under normal circumstances one exchanges details with the other driver but that was, obviously, impossible. What do they all say 'can't progress without the other drivers details, ask the police for the info'. What do the police say 'can't give personal details under data protection'! Can we speak to the arresting officer? Yes, but it's his days off! WTF.
    So, now we are without a car and have to rely on my son but he's away with work. We can't get the courtesy car, our belongings, the insurance claim can't progress and we are supposed to be the victims. Joke!! We were sympathetic towards the other driver believing there was a genuine reason for the accident. Maybe mechanical failure or a health issue but no, the driver was FIVE TIMES over the legal limit! This at 3-30 in the frigging afternoon!
    So, here we are four days after the accident, still in pain, my wife basically immobile, no car, no sign of any progress and pissed off! Ducking drink drivers! Gggrrrrrrrrr......
    Sorry!

Bloody hell...that’s dreadful. Seems to me that if there’s anyone who shouldn’t be saying ‘sorry’...it’s you.
    Don’t know if it’s yet another example, but the behaviour of some people during the current crisis has been appalling and unforgivable.
    Sure you’ve got plenty of mates, but if you’re stuck and need to get to the shops, the ‘cop shop’ or anywhere else, and your son is away at work, then just ‘pm’ me...busy Friday and next week but quiet for the next three days.
    Hope you, your wife and the dogs are soon recovered.

Thanks rA, that is much appreciated.
    The dogs seem to be OK again. My good lady is in a lot of pain and more and more multi-coloured bruises are appearing. I've just got a few aches and pains now but we are both still quite stressed out, hopefully if we can get everything sorted then that will help. Not looking forward to going through the process of searching for a replacement vehicle.
    As they say, could have been worse!
    Once again, thanks.

Best wishes Mac, hope you get sorted.
    You are both alive, that's the main thing, items can be replaced.

Drink drivers? Don't get me started, MR will have a heart attack if I go into rant mode.

Glad you are ok though Mac, nothing else really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I'm sorry to raise this issue whilst the season is still in progress but last Thursday we had parked our car legally adjacent to the footpath where we walk the dogs. We have parked in the same place for more than ten years without any issues and one or two other dog owners park there whom we often chat to. This was 3.30 in the afternoon and children and mums were also there on the way home from school. I had switched the engine off, my wife was half way out of the car (she sits there with the dogs and had just released their harnesses). I had opened my door and had turned to get out (it takes me a second or two longer due to arthritis etc) when, for some reason (instinct maybe), I saw this vehicle bearing down on us at some speed! This gave me a split second to brace myself before the inevitable impact took place. Out car was pushed back about seven yards before coming too rest, .unfortunately my wife was thrown out of the car but with her leg trapped causing her to be dragged backwards with the car!! The other vehicle spun round and ended up on its side!
    We were attended by seven police vehicles plus an unmarked police car, two ambulances, paramedic, two fire engines and a film crew. The road had to be closed both ways. We had nasty injuries but not serious which was very fortunate. My wife was the most badly hurt with multiple bruising, grazing all over and one leg with a massive hemotoma. We stayed in hospital until midnight. The dogs bolted but my son managed to find them. They both had minor injuries to the face. The other driver suffered minor injuries and didn't need to attend hospital.
    Our car is a write off and we are in the process of sorting out insurance, underwriters, a courtesy car and a personal claim and we want to retrieve personal items from the car. Do you get any support, sympathy or help from these people, no ducking way! They are about as helpful as an angry wasp! Under normal circumstances one exchanges details with the other driver but that was, obviously, impossible. What do they all say 'can't progress without the other drivers details, ask the police for the info'. What do the police say 'can't give personal details under data protection'! Can we speak to the arresting officer? Yes, but it's his days off! WTF.
    So, now we are without a car and have to rely on my son but he's away with work. We can't get the courtesy car, our belongings, the insurance claim can't progress and we are supposed to be the victims. Joke!! We were sympathetic towards the other driver believing there was a genuine reason for the accident. Maybe mechanical failure or a health issue but no, the driver was FIVE TIMES over the legal limit! This at 3-30 in the frigging afternoon!
    So, here we are four days after the accident, still in pain, my wife basically immobile, no car, no sign of any progress and pissed off! Ducking drink drivers! Gggrrrrrrrrr......
    Sorry!
    The guy should face a lengthy ban and/or sentence for dangerous or wreckless....

Mac Lives Matter

Name:  maclivesmatter.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  9.2 KB

Could have turned out a lot worse. Thankfully it didn't. I hope you and Mrs Mac are soon up and around and over it. One thing is certain, at 5 times the limit, the other driver will be jailed.

Questions that pop up are....... how can you get the guy's name and address if the police can't give it to you because of data protection? Who will recompense you as, if I remember correctly, his being drunk at the wheel negates his insurance (I do so hope I'm wrong) ?

You probably already are aware, but I'll post it anyway, just in case, be watchful for signs of shock in either of you. With any luck you won't have it rear its ugly head at some point in the future but it can happen so be on your guard.

Again, get well soon.

Being drunk will result in the exclusion of the first party claim by the drunk driver, ie his loss. Insurers should however still pay the third party claim - ie yours Mac, as the whole idea of mandatory insurance is to protect the innocent from the **** with the car.

However there may be different policy wordings impacting this claim, and also it might fall into a knock for knock arrangement. The insurer, having paid out, can also then subrogate their claim against the driver in respect of the third party payout.

Be careful though as Ive seen situations where your no claims bonus could be impacted by this sort of hing - unless you have bought no claims bonus insurance to protect it.

You will also be pleased to know that, in addition to fines, bans and custodial sentences the drunkard will find it extremely difficult to get insurance in the future and, even if he can, he will face a massive rise in premium even if he has reimbursed the insurer for your loss.

PS don't forget the whiplash claims for the two of you and the canine victims - or have they got whippet claims?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Best wishes Mac, hope you get sorted.
    You are both alive, that's the main thing, items can be replaced.

Drink drivers? Don't get me started, MR will have a heart attack if I go into rant mode.
    No I won't you no very well what my feelings are about drink drivers ,especially when I visit the cemetery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)