+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Wycombe Wanderers

O/T:- Wycombe Wanderers

Congratulations to Curtis Thompson on success with Wycombe. Always gave 100% for Notts.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 13-07-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post
    Congratulations to Curtis Thompson on success with Wycombe. Always gave 100% for Notts.
    A Championship player!

Good on him!

Anybody with half an eye for a player who watched Curtis play central midfield in the closing part of our Great Escape season under Sean Derry should surely have realised this guy was at least good enough for League One if he played in his strongest position. Unfortunately, after Derry left, we went back to messing him around as a utility player and then inexplicably let him go. All that investment and effort from his youth team days onwards thrown away. But what's done is done, Wycombe are now a Championship club, which is great to see, and we're fighting to get back into the league, which would be equally great. But good God, we've had to learn lessons the harsh way. And I hope we have.

I notice Adebayo Akinfenwa had a little bit of an implicit dig at Neal Ardley for releasing him after AFC Wimbledon's promotion too, which is fair enough because Bayo has indeed proved he wasn't finished. Anybody can make a mistake, it's whether you learn from it that matters.
    Last edited by jackal2; 13-07-2020 at 09:24 PM.

He was a good all around player but he didn't really excel at anything in particular. His best asset at Notts was probably his work rate, he couldn't shoot or pick out a pass that well but you knew what you were getting with him in the team, whether or not he's effective probably depends who's alongside him and the system he's in, Bishop and Ravenhill in a 442 shouldn't really have worked because you've got next to no creativity or attacking attributes between them but it did because they had players like Ben Davies, Craig Westcarr and Lee Hughes getting and making the goals, Davies and probably Hughes were both Championship quality playing in League 2.

Nolan releasing him after he'd done well replacing Michael O'Connor and keeping us in the league in his first season was clearly a mistake though, I'd imagine he wasn't on crazy money but I'd also doubt he was part of Kev's drinking crew which is probably the bigger reason he was let go but not every player plays the same for every manager, there's a chance Thompson is only playing well (presuming he was as the team was succesful) because Ainsworth can get the most out of him, he didn't feature in their first 10 games of the season but he's not even really at his prime age yet, who knows whether he'd be the same player if he was still here, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Anybody with half an eye for a player who watched Curtis play central midfield in the closing part of our Great Escape season under Sean Derry should surely have realised this guy was at least good enough for League One if he played in his strongest position.
    He played 6 games in the run in that season with 4 of them at right back then made 31 appearances the next season and we were relegated so it's not like he wasn't given a fair whack after Derry went.

He was a bit part player under Moniz
    Played pretty much every game under Fullarton, in the worst team to watch in our history
    H was quickly dropped by Cooper after a few games
    Sheridan presumably didn't know he existed as he preferred Richards to him, he came in mid way through our record breaking losing streak
    Played 8/10 games for Nolan before being dropped and never seen in a Notts shirt again, not playing a game until the end of January the next season for Wycombe

In the season he played zero games for Notts we made the playoffs, so it's not like we missed him to be fair to Nolan and contrary to my other post he actually wasn't involved by Nolan in the last 10 games of 16/17 when we stayed up, in a bigger and better "great escape" than Derry's as Kiwomya has left him a very strong team and plenty of time to turn it around, we should have been nowhere near the bottom by the time the last game of the season came around

It's all about the right manager. Ainsworth is class and a brilliant man manager who galvanises squads. The list of ****e mentioned above didn't work his talent properly. Simple as. I always rated Curtis to be fair, yes he made a few mistakes on the ball at times but his hunger and passion was always there to be seen and if you have that, then all the other stuff can be worked on. Another good youth player slips through the net.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    It's all about the right manager. Ainsworth is class and a brilliant man manager who galvanises squads. The list of ****e mentioned above didn't work his talent properly. Simple as. I always rated Curtis to be fair, yes he made a few mistakes on the ball at times but his hunger and passion was always there to be seen and if you have that, then all the other stuff can be worked on. Another good youth player slips through the net.
    You cant post that good youth players slip through the net or you'll have Elite Pie demanding to see a full detailed list of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post
    Wycombe being promoted to the championship gives me hope that under our new owners we may also get to the championship one day.

As for Curtis Thompson I always liked him. He was one of our own, gave his all and I remember one season in League One he really shone. The fact Thompson is now a Championship player shows how detrimental it can be to a club when you keep changing managers because it can also have a negative impact on players as they end up in and out of the team.

Consistency, stability and the right manager are the key ingredients that have led Wycombe and Curtis Thompson to where they are today. Thankfully having fell as far as we have ever fallen we seem to be moving in the right direction under our current owners.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 14-07-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Yeah, I liked Curtis, you could certainly never fault his effort but I wouldn't be surprised to see him released from Wycombe when his contracts up. Not sure he's Championship quality, he's only ever been a sub for them in the few times I've watched them. But well done to them, one of the smaller budgets in L1 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    You cant post that good youth players slip through the net or you'll have Elite Pie demanding to see a full detailed list of them.
    That's because there aren't as many as people seem to think. In the last 5 or 6 years I can only think of Luther Wildin and Colby Bishop who were released as youth players but went on to play regularly at League 2 level or above. If I've missed any please put me right, but when I read "another good youth player slips through the net", you would think there were lots of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast