+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rooting Guide for Final 3 Matchdays

Rooting Guide for Final 3 Matchdays

Here is how the current table stands:

1) Liverpool
    2) Manchester City
    3) Chelsea - 60
    4) Leicester City - 59
    -------------------------------
    5) Manchester United - 59
    6) Wolves - 55
    7) Sheffield United - 54
    8) Tottenham - 52
    9) Arsenal - 50
    10) Burnley - 50

Top 4 spots for Champions League, now that Man City's ban got overruled (surprise surprise). 5th and 6th will get a Europa League spot. If someone other than Arsenal win the FA Cup, 7th place will get a Europa League spot.

FA Cup
    Arsenal-Manchester City
    ManU-Chelsea

Root for Man City to beat Arsenal, so that even if we really stumble the last three matchdays, there's still a solid chance at continental play next season. After that, hope a meteor hits Wembley during the Final so none of the big clubs get another trophy.

Matchday 36
    Chelsea - Norwich
    Burnley - Wolves
    Newcastle - Tottenham
    Arsenal - Liverpool
    Leicester - Sheffield Utd
    Crystal Palace - ManU

Aside from a Wolves win, which is obvious, we want a Norwich win (unlikely), Newcastle win (somewhat unlikely), Liverpool win (probable), and a Palace win (somewhat unlikely). Obviously, if we dont get defeats from the other contending teams, a draw would be alright. The only match that I'm unsure about it Leicester-Sheffield. A Sheffield win obviously brings us closer to Champions League football. It also does the same for Sheffield United. They could also leapfrog us in the table, depending on what happens in our match. I would settle for a draw in that match.

Matchday 37
    Norwich - Burnley
    Tottenham - Leicester
    Sheffield - Everton
    Wolves - Palace
    Villa - Arsenal
    ManU - West Ham
    Liverpool - Chelsea

Hopefully we've beaten Burnley, so their match would be irrelevant. A Tottenham win over Leicester would be fine, assuming we keep winning. Definitely possible too. Hope Everton puts up a better fight against Sheffield than they did against us. Villa will hopefully still be fighting for survival, so Arsenal won't have an easy win. Same with ManU and West Ham. And let's hope the champs beat Chelsea.

Matchday 38
    Arsenal - Watford
    Burnley - Brighton
    Chelsea - Wolves
    Palace - Tottenham
    Leicester - ManU
    Southampton - Sheffield

We are a bit lucky in that there won't be fans at Stamford Bridge this year. Usually a tough place to play, but without fans, it's not quite the same. Leicester and ManU might be fighting for a spot in that match alone. Hopefully a draw in that one. Southampton won't have anything to play for. Same with Palace. Watford might need a point or three to survive, so Arsenal are not out of the woods here.

Schedule Summaries
    Chelsea - Norwich, @Liverpool, Wolves
    Leicester City - Sheffield, @Tottenham, ManU
    ManU - @Palace, West Ham, @Leicester
    Wolves - @Burnley, Palace, @Chelsea
    Sheffield - @Leicester, Everton, @Southampton
    Tottenham - @Newcastle, Leicester, @Palace
    Arsenal - Liverpool, @Villa, Watford
    Burnley - Wolves, @Norwich, Brighton

Of those schedules, I think ManU and Burnley have the easiest run ins. But Burnley will only be relevant if they beat Wolves. So if I wanted to be any team, it'd be Chelsea or ManU as they control their destiny. Leicester has the toughest remaining schedule, with us second IMO.

At the end of the day, if Wolves get 9 points, I have a hard time not seeing them with a fighting chance for the 4th spot, with 5th and Europa League group stage as a worst case scenario. If I had to predict, I think we hold our 6th place spot with a draw against Burnley and win against Palace and a loss or draw to Chelsea. Needed to win the Arsenal or Sheffield match to have a solid chance at Champions League.

Absolutely splendid summary old chap! Did you have to have a lay down in a dark room after you completed it?

I think, sadly, we will finish seventh. Man Utd's easy finish is going to do for us and I also think in the end Sheff Utd, with their current strong surge, will finish above us. Still, fingers crossed, there may be a few more surprises to come.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Absolutely splendid summary old chap! Did you have to have a lay down in a dark room after you completed it?

I think, sadly, we will finish seventh. Man Utd's easy finish is going to do for us and I also think in the end Sheff Utd, with their current strong surge, will finish above us. Still, fingers crossed, there may be a few more surprises to come.
    It’s mostly for my own gratification If I write/type something I usually remember it. Now I can stop incessantly checking the live table every match

That’s why I’m debating about whether a Sheffield win or draw against Leicester is the best result. Sheffield winning helps us for Champions League, but if we only draw or lose to Burnley, it hurts us overall. Our match is on Wednesday and theirs is on Thursday so the desired result will be made clear after ours is finished

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    It’s mostly for my own gratification If I write/type something I usually remember it. Now I can stop incessantly checking the live table every match

That’s why I’m debating about whether a Sheffield win or draw against Leicester is the best result. Sheffield winning helps us for Champions League, but if we only draw or lose to Burnley, it hurts us overall. Our match is on Wednesday and theirs is on Thursday so the desired result will be made clear after ours is finished
    Seriously though, good job and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Seriously though, good job and much appreciated.
    Bump. I’ll be happy if we get to 60 points with the remaining games, that should be enough for European football next year.

Some brilliant work there Mich. It must have taken a large amount of time. It's a bit like life, all ifs and buts.

Despite all the problems with the virus, it has been another wonderful season. Still in Europe and sixth in the table, I would have settled for that a year ago when our season started. Still loads of twists and turns to go yet me thinks.

As things stand now we are guaranteed seventh place which will mean Europa League football next year as long as Arsenal don't win the FA Cup. Alternatively we have to beat Chelsea to ensure 6th place, or if we draw and Spurs draw or lose against Palace that'll do too, or we both lose... although I can't see Spurs losing against Palace based on current form. I suppose you could look at Chelsea who are guaranteed Champions League football next season, their league position is not under threat and they have the FA Cup final six days later... they may rest a few key players and make it a tad easier for us?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    As things stand now we are guaranteed seventh place which will mean Europa League football next year as long as Arsenal don't win the FA Cup. Alternatively we have to beat Chelsea to ensure 6th place, or if we draw and Spurs draw or lose against Palace that'll do too, or we both lose... although I can't see Spurs losing against Palace based on current form. I suppose you could look at Chelsea who are guaranteed Champions League football next season, their league position is not under threat and they have the FA Cup final six days later... they may rest a few key players and make it a tad easier for us?
    Great post Mich!

I hope you are right there Norton!

COYW

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    I believe Chelsea would be jumped by Leicester if Chelsea lose and Leicester tie United as Leicester have a much better goal difference. A draw against us would only guarantee them a spot if United and Leicester draw. But if Leicester win and Chelsea draws, United will keep a Champs League place as they have a better goal difference than Chelsea. So Chelsea are in the same boat as us - win and in. Otherwise, dependent on other results.

Let’s just win!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    I believe Chelsea would be jumped by Leicester if Chelsea lose and Leicester tie United as Leicester have a much better goal difference. A draw against us would only guarantee them a spot if United and Leicester draw. But if Leicester win and Chelsea draws, United will keep a Champs League place as they have a better goal difference than Chelsea. So Chelsea are in the same boat as us - win and in. Otherwise, dependent on other results.

Let’s just win!
    Hmm, I should’ve checked the league table before I wrote my post... we both need a win as Mich says.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)