+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    What you mean...the EFL approving something and then discovering they shouldn’t have? Nothing at all like our case there then.
    That's my understanding of it, ramAnag. They now have to find a way out of the mess they created.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    I can't comment his threats, mistaram, childish or otherwise. But the 'poor little Barnsley, everybody is against us' attitude is not crap. It started in 1912 when Arsenal were 'promoted' to the top flight even though they finished the season lower in the table than Barnsley. Ask any Barnsley fan about the Willard game and you'll shudder to hear just how corrupt football really is.

Barnsley are treated the worst of the 92 clubs. They are mocked, reviled, scorned, ridiculed and portrayed as a bit of a joke. In the Premiership they were patronised as the other clubs 'second favourite team' (except when Barnsley beat them of course). If a manager's job is on the line then defeat to Barnsley is considered to be the last straw and marks his instant dismissal.

I'd say Barnsley have every right to feel everyone is against them, and, when push comes to shove, the EFL will take the line of least resistance and uphold Wigan's appeal. Next time you hear of 'Barnsley Bitter' you'll know why!
    I know nothing about 1912 and Arsenal being preferred to Barnsley, Gunter, and it may well be that you have a case...but it was 108 years ago!
    As for Barnsley being every other club’s ‘second favourite team’ when they were in the Premiership, I don’t think they were being ‘patronised’.
    Don’t you think it was the same for Bradford City and Oldham Athletic during their halcyon days? They’re just three relatively poor - as in lack of wealth not skill - northern sides who surpassed expectation and people wanted to see do well.
    I hope you stay up, you deserve to, but I seriously don’t think you’re ‘mocked and reviled’...well not as much as Forest and Leeds.

I personally am a big Barnsley fan (except when we play them of course).
    If you think that's patronising you then that's crap, you want patronising we have to live with eleven points in the Prem and that will last forever!!
    Anyway, even if it were true, it's better to be Barnsley and a Barnsley fan than being your ****e neighbours who are universally hated! Give me patronising any day.

I can't comment his threats, mistaram, childish or otherwise. But the 'poor little Barnsley, everybody is against us' attitude is not crap. It started in 1912 when Arsenal were 'promoted' to the top flight even though they finished the season lower in the table than Barnsley. Ask any Barnsley fan about the Willard game and you'll shudder to hear just how corrupt football really is.

Barnsley are treated the worst of the 92 clubs. They are mocked, reviled, scorned, ridiculed and portrayed as a bit of a joke. In the Premiership they were patronised as the other clubs 'second favourite team' (except when Barnsley beat them of course). If a manager's job is on the line then defeat to Barnsley is considered to be the last straw and marks his instant dismissal.

I'd say Barnsley have every right to feel everyone is against them, and, when push comes to shove, the EFL will take the line of least resistance and uphold Wigan's appeal. Next time you hear of 'Barnsley Bitter' you'll know why!
    Guntery Pretty sure a German coach has very little knowledge or concern about what went on at your club in 1912, But that is little excuse for accusing clubs he's knows absolutely nothing about of breaking rules they have not been found guilty of yet . I dare say if Barnsley had been mid table he would have little to say . As for chairman Paul Conway he has accused Derby of not paying players on time ,over pricing the sale of the stadium ,breaking FFP rules . All allegations that are yet to be proved ,that shows a man without class and who was desperate to try anything to avoid Barnsley being relegated . I didn't say I hope Wigan win there case because I want Barnsley relegated because I don't . I said because I think they were duped by the previous owner If you read any of my previous post about your club I only have good things to say about you Incidentally I think you have a very good manager now and your future looks bright some good players too .

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Don't know any dates MA but surely can't be long now . There will be the 14 day appeals possibly . Then next season's fixtures to be sorted and printed . My guess would be late next week
    Fixtures scheduled to be out on August 10th. That means the verdict has to be out there, if my Maths is correct, by tomorrow at the latest or there won't be 14 days between the decision announcement and the appeal window closing.

E.g. a decision next Tuesday would mean us or Wendy would have until the 11th to lodge any appeal. The appeal would involve hiring Lawyers, preparing a case and having time available in court or at CAS to hear the appeal and then deliberate on the outcome.......

I think it's highly likely that, as the cases are very similar, EFL signing off on everything and then changing their minds, it is eminently likely that us and Wendy have been in pretty regular contact over scenarios, maybe even agreeing to use the same lawyers to possibly reduce costs.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Fixtures scheduled to be out on August 10th. That means the verdict has to be out there, if my Maths is correct, by tomorrow at the latest or there won't be 14 days between the decision announcement and the appeal window closing.

E.g. a decision next Tuesday would mean us or Wendy would have until the 11th to lodge any appeal. The appeal would involve hiring Lawyers, preparing a case and having time available in court or at CAS to hear the appeal and then deliberate on the outcome.......

I think it's highly likely that, as the cases are very similar, EFL signing off on everything and then changing their minds, it is eminently likely that us and Wendy have been in pretty regular contact over scenarios, maybe even agreeing to use the same lawyers to possibly reduce costs.
    Yes I'm fairly certain they have both used the same lawyers Maybe the EFL dragging it out to make us take any punishment next season it would get them of the hook with fixtures and any threats of suing by other clubs Not only clubs have 14days to appeal, if the result goes against the ELF they have the right to appeal . I've still got concerns over amortation ,doesn't sit well with me ,I know they signed two years accounts of when we used it but it's certainly a loophole the ELF can use against us if we still been doing it

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know nothing about 1912 and Arsenal being preferred to Barnsley, Gunter, and it may well be that you have a case...but it was 108 years ago!
    As for Barnsley being every other club’s ‘second favourite team’ when they were in the Premiership, I don’t think they were being ‘patronised’.
    Don’t you think it was the same for Bradford City and Oldham Athletic during their halcyon days? They’re just three relatively poor - as in lack of wealth not skill - northern sides who surpassed expectation and people wanted to see do well.
    I hope you stay up, you deserve to, but I seriously don’t think you’re ‘mocked and reviled’...well not as much as Forest and Leeds.

I think much of it is down to perspective, ramAnag. Supporters tend to dig up events from the past to justify their belief they are singled out for unfair treatment. But Arsenal have never been out of the top flight since 1912 so it sticks in the throat even more. Oldham almost became part of the furniture in Division One...weren't they there for thre years? (I think it was before the PremierLeague) so they received some respect even though the town itself is the biggest ***hole you can imagine. Bradford City were looked upon as a welcome addition to the big boys (okay, Everton, Watford, etc). Dennis Wise and Mark Lawrenson regularly ridiculed Barnsley although I've never particularly valued those two's opinion anyway.

Leeds...despised? Surely not. As for Forest, I'm delighted they didn't quite make the play-offs. The way some of their fans reacted to losing at Oakwell was childish and foul-mouthed, and I hoped the club are docked enough points to ensure we stay up, Wigan or no Wigan!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Guntery nothing against Barnsley pal always enjoy my away days at Oakwell like your fans ,ground etc. Just tired of hearing your owner spouting about who he's going to use next Your manager coming we are poor little Barnsley everybody against us crap By the way there is a still a good chance Derby and Sheff could be relegated ,as for Wigan I don't think they will win their case anyway . But that wouldn't stop you over important owner from his childish threats
    No chance at all, mistaram. SW and Derby are big clubs and big clubs are never sent down to lower leagues. I'd say Wigan's appeal has a 50-50 chance of being successful. I can see the possibilty of a legal domino effect. Wigan stay up, Conway appeals, Barnsley are successful, etc. I remember the days when football was just a kickabout on Saturday afternoons. I'm really showing my age now.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 25-07-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

MA if you go onto Football law.co.uk/articles the owls and the rams. It's but heavy for me best get Geoff on it

I think much of it is down to perspective, ramAnag. Supporters tend to dig up events from the past to justify their belief they are singled out for unfair treatment. But Arsenal have never been out of the top flight since 1912 so it sticks in the throat even more. Oldham almost became part of the furniture in Division One...weren't they there for thre years? (I think it was before the PremierLeague) so they received some respect even though the town itself is the biggest ***hole you can imagine. Bradford City were looked upon as a welcome addition to the big boys (okay, Everton, Watford, etc). Dennis Wise and Mark Lawrenson regularly ridiculed Barnsley although I've never particularly valued those two's opinion anyway.

Leeds...despised? Surely not. As for Forest, I'm delighted they didn't quite make the play-offs. The way some of their fans reacted to losing at Oakwell was childish and foul-mouthed, and I hoped the club are docked enough points to ensure we stay up, Wigan or no Wigan!
    Just three seasons, Gunter...including the first two of the Premiership as I think it was then called.

Not sure you can protest about people patronising Barnsley while calling Oldham the ‘biggest ****hole you can imagine’.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)