+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Season

Next Season

Assuming no voluntary outgoings except loanees what should the squad looklike?

First names on the team sheet

Nyambe
    Lenihan
    Evans
    Travis
    Dack
    Armstrong

Must go
    Leutwiler
    Mulgrew
    Smallwood
    Chapman
    Bennett
    Graham
    Samuel

Areas to strengthen
    Goalkeeper x 2
    Centre Back
    Genuine wide player
    Targetman/goalscorer

Happy to keep other members of the squad but I want players who play for the shirt and a manager that insists they do.
    Therefore Mowbray simply must go.

Mowbray out, Venkys Out. Who else do you want out .. ? Saxo maybe.lol

Cannot disagree with the players bit but I am still not quite at the point of asking for the manager's head.
    I am very much stuck on the fence and if the right candidate became available,I would certainly consider the change.
    What he has done for the club cannot be taken away but I am starting to see us stagnating.

I'll always be grateful for what he did but ....

We are stagnating, no improvement on last season.
    Defence needs major investment.
    He doesn't deserve another transfer window.
    He doesn't know his best team.
    He is tactically inept.
    He is very much old school, decades out of date.
    They very rarely play for him.

There's a lot I don't agree with there, but it's all opinions. In particular, I have no idea what "They very rarely play for him..." means.

This game was a classic example of this Division, and our most fundamental failing.
    There was very little in it, but Millwall basically played as the away team, which was quite clever. Secondly, we didn't take advantage of any of our two clear-cut chances and three half-chances. [Bring back Jordan Rhodes (!!!).]
    I really do think that Dack would have been worth another eight-plus points.
    Armstrong has scored some great goals, but he's not a natural close-range finisher, and he doesn't create chances for others in the way Dack does.
    One particular puzzle: why do so many of our players find it so difficult to put two good games in a row together?
    Johnson and Armstrong are prime examples.
    Having said all that, luck did play a part. Their goal came from a block that fell kindly.

I wouldn't change the manager - not because I think Mowbray is particularly brilliant, but because our record in getting changes right has been abysmal. Which "miracle-worker" are we going to gamble on this time?
    And I simply will not accept "Anyone's better than Mowbray" as a logical answer.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 15-07-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Mowbray isn't working, he constantly repeats the same mistakes, he doesn't learn.
    Anyone else is likely to be better.

I have just lost all my enthusiasm for watching Rovers, and losing interest altogether.
    I was not behind this return, I think it is a soulless option, and one that I can't watch. You can't play football behind closed doors, it completely changes the dynamics of it all. And it will stay exactly the same into next season.
    Last night summed it up, awful spectacle. Really terrible games, slow, methodical, no real interest, crap game. No real interest from either side. 2 mid table sides nowhere near good enough to even think about going up.

I no longer care enough either way if Mowbray goes. My hunch is he won't leave. And Venkys won't rock the boat. They are skint, and will not be investing in next season or any other. If they pick up a win or get a few more points, they will improve on last season. And improving each year, is acceptable, without getting anyone excited.
    We never got into the play-offs spots once this season. And reality was, we were not good enough. Other than maybe at a push one or two players, who could leave and go play in a good side up in the Prem and go on to have a decent enough career, the rest are comfortable at this level. And will never show signs of pushing on to the next level.
    I would recommend moving on Graham, Johnson, Downing, Williams, Holtby, Chapman, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Samuel (, I just can't take this big oaf seriously, one of the worst I have ever seen, stealing a living!!!!)
    And keep with youth, JRC, Buckley, Davenport, Carter and see what they can do.

I believe the system is one of the main issues, and is a contributing factor in why we remain so inconsistent. The system does not suit the players. Players are not flexible enough to be able to do what they are being asked to do, and in several cases they look decent one and not even like a footballer the next game. Armstrong is a case in point. Too many players are not flourishing in this system. It is not getting the best out of what we have, and many are wasted.

My prediction next season, for what it's worth.
    Armstrong, Lenihan and Travis will leave in the summer. All will get better offers in the Prem, or better Champ sides, with a chance of going up.
    We will have no money to spend at all. And its pretty much nailed on that Covid-19 will still be around, therefore no crowds no income. Venky's will continue to lose money in their business. And Rovers will spend a season struggling in a relegation battle. I have no doubt about that.

Personally, I think things have gotten very stale at the club. 2 wins in 10 is relegation form. And we will take that now into next season. Little things like, he tookj Nyambe out last night, and put his mate Bennett back in, shows me excatky where we are heading. Nyambe will likely be another to leave, like Raya. Because the manager will always favour a Bennett. We are going nowhere because of that. And to not play Brereton or even bring him on last night, was criminal. Poor management, well actually, its not even that good. That's unfair on poor managers. It's actually pathetic.
    As is our current form. As is the whole set up right now.
    Its all heading nowhere.

Looking at the current team and what we need going into next season,if we dont add players to the critical positions,then I echo the relegation battle thoughts.
    We badly need 2 keepers not just 1.
    Is fisher good enough?when loaned out the teams he went to,were not exactly buzzing about him.
    Defenders aplenty are needed.
    I do hope Carter or Wharton can step up to this level as the thought of mulgrew or Williams back in the team makes me shudder.
    Also perhaps a couple of wingers would be nice,instead of playing forwards there.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Looking at the current team and what we need going into next season,if we dont add players to the critical positions,then I echo the relegation battle thoughts.
    We badly need 2 keepers not just 1.
    Is fisher good enough?when loaned out the teams he went to,were not exactly buzzing about him.
    Defenders aplenty are needed.
    I do hope Carter or Wharton can step up to this level as the thought of mulgrew or Williams back in the team makes me shudder.
    Also perhaps a couple of wingers would be nice,instead of playing forwards there.
    We will lose our best 3 players. That I have no doubts. I also feel Nyambe will leave, and will do what Raya will do.
    Mowbray likes Bennett. Not decent young players like Nyambe. Brereton may aswell go too, as the bloke has no idea how or where to play him. What we won't have is a penny to spend. Mowbray would only waste it anyway, so that could be a blessing.
    I cant help but point out, for me the Championship this season has been alot weaker than it ever has in previous seasons.
    We havent improved, we have stayed the same. The sides around us are all pretty woeful too. Millwall where ****e. But better than us. We will not have had a better chance at at least trying to get in the play-offs. And it will be a massive case of not taking the chance while we had it. From here, I feel we will now head backwards. as the team will be hugely weaker. And no money, no investment will only result in one thing.
    We had the chance of playing Davenport, Carter etc etc in these final games. Where they will only improve, and get better. Instead he doesnt bother.
    Samuel over Brereton. I cant even chat about this anymore, I am done.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)