+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to look at youth

The fact you have said Mowbray has already started the process of playing youth has made me lose any respect I had for you Aucks.
    We had a game the other night we needed to win. He started with Downing, Graham, Johnson and Samuel.
    And left any youth (including £12m of youth HE wasted money on) on the bench.

No way, you are not on the same planet as being correct on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    If a player misses a penalty it's because they haven't practised their technique enough.
    That is 100% down to the manager.
    Total tosh.
    Shearer missed 11 of the 67 penalties he took.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    The fact you have said Mowbray has already started the process of playing youth has made me lose any respect I had for you Aucks.
    We had a game the other night we needed to win. He started with Downing, Graham, Johnson and Samuel.
    And left any youth (including £12m of youth HE wasted money on) on the bench.

No way, you are not on the same planet as being correct on that one.
    Champs - I was talking about the whole season. We have seen the introduction of a number of new faces. This is undeniable!

Champs, where I fall out with you is that you go to such extremes.
    After the Cardiff game, you were very positive again!
    It is has been an up-and-down season - for us and the vast majority of Championship teams.
    We are finishing about where I expected.
    This is realistic for OUR club.
    Mowbray is no star. He's not particularly bad, either.
    He is the type of manager we see very commonly outside the elite PL clubs.
    I don't agree at all that he is a dinosaur. If anything, he has tried to experiment with tactics a little too much.
    It was ME who wanted to revert to an old-fashioned 4-4-2 with Graham as a target-man, and you told me off for that too!
    I simply refuse to guess about next season. I don't know WHY you just make the assumption it will be a relegation-battle.
    Right since last August, I have made the point that we look like a win-one/draw-one/lose-one team. With Dack out, a play-off place became even less likely.
    I see no cause for elation or despair!
    What I have never bought into - as you know - is this automatic, knee-jerk response of "time for a change"!

Accurate process and training eliminates mistakes.
    How else do we manage our airlines, perform operations etc.
    You don't seem to have much experience of the modern world. Are you related to Rees-Mogg?

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs, where I fall out with you is that you go to such extremes.
    After the Cardiff game, you were very positive again!
    It is has been an up-and-down season - for us and the vast majority of Championship teams.
    We are finishing about where I expected.
    This is realistic for OUR club.
    Mowbray is no star. He's not particularly bad, either.
    He is the type of manager we see very commonly outside the elite PL clubs.
    I don't agree at all that he is a dinosaur. If anything, he has tried to experiment with tactics a little too much.
    It was ME who wanted to revert to an old-fashioned 4-4-2 with Graham as a target-man, and you told me off for that too!
    I simply refuse to guess about next season. I don't know WHY you just make the assumption it will be a relegation-battle.
    Right since last August, I have made the point that we look like a win-one/draw-one/lose-one team. With Dack out, a play-off place became even less likely.
    I see no cause for elation or despair!
    What I have never bought into - as you know - is this automatic, knee-jerk response of "time for a change"!
    Ok, fine. I'll make my point another way. If my car has 4 wheels, do I expect it to drive ok? Is that fair? Are you with me?

If my car goes down to 2 wheels, is it fair to expect it not to perform as it did with 4 wheels?

Next season we have lost 2 wheels. Are you with me? Do you understand?

What are you disagreeing or failing to see? Are you aware Tosin is going back to City? And Walton back to Brighton?

Are you aware we have no money?

Is it fair to assume if we lose 2 players, and cant replace them with anyone as good, because we have no money, we would be weaker?

Ok, fine. I'll make my point another way. If my car has 4 wheels, do I expect it to drive ok? Is that fair? Are you with me?

If my car goes down to 2 wheels, is it fair to expect it not to perform as it did with 4 wheels?

Next season we have lost 2 wheels. Are you with me? Do you understand?

What are you disagreeing or failing to see? Are you aware Tosin is going back to City? And Walton back to Brighton?

Are you aware we have no money?

Is it fair to assume if we lose 2 players, and cant replace them with anyone as good, because we have no money, we would be weaker?
    No - this is where you and I differ most, Champs.
    I take part in the predictions-league because it's fun, but if I can't get a result right from one week to another, why would I think I can make a meaningful prediction about a whole season.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Reading game, but it was like the whole of the past season in miniature.
    And if I was forced to make a forecast, I'd say, "More of the same."
    But here's the key issue that you always seem to overlook:
    It's not just us!
    The Reading manager said that game was also typical of their season!
    This week, already, two of the top three have lost to teams at the bottom.
    I've actually watched Barnsley three times this season, and they look no worse, to me, than the teams in about sixth to tenth places!
    None of the teams going up look guaranteed to survive.
    We have lost to some of the "weaker" teams. It's damned frustrating. But look at the way we've played against Bristol City, Cardiff and WBA since the restart.
    I just don't know how you find it so easy to generalize.
    If Mowbray goes, so be it.
    I like and respect the guy, but I support the Club - not him!
    Whatever you say, though, I do not think he is anywhere near as clueless and old-fashioned as you make out.

Next season?
    Really looking forward to it. Perhaps today's squad was the shape of things to come.

No - this is where you and I differ most, Champs.
    I take part in the predictions-league because it's fun, but if I can't get a result right from one week to another, why would I think I can make a meaningful prediction about a whole season.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Reading game, but it was like the whole of the past season in miniature.
    And if I was forced to make a forecast, I'd say, "More of the same."
    But here's the key issue that you always seem to overlook:
    It's not just us!
    The Reading manager said that game was also typical of their season!
    This week, already, two of the top three have lost to teams at the bottom.
    I've actually watched Barnsley three times this season, and they look no worse, to me, than the teams in about sixth to tenth places!
    None of the teams going up look guaranteed to survive.
    We have lost to some of the "weaker" teams. It's damned frustrating. But look at the way we've played against Bristol City, Cardiff and WBA since the restart.
    I just don't know how you find it so easy to generalize.
    If Mowbray goes, so be it.
    I like and respect the guy, but I support the Club - not him!
    Whatever you say, though, I do not think he is anywhere near as clueless and old-fashioned as you make out.

Next season?
    Really looking forward to it. Perhaps today's squad was the shape of things to come.
    I look back on the season, look at Armstrings 15 league goals. The side we had. And feel we will never had as good a chance to get in the play offs. It's been a poor league standard wise. Very poor. Close from top to bottom tells me just how average it was. If we where half decent,, we'd have got into the play offs and started to build from there. Instead we played Bennett & Graham etc too much. And went long periods without winning, changing the side too much. Messing about putting players in wrong positions. And overall, didnt improve on last season.

I look back on the season, look at Armstrings 15 league goals. The side we had. And feel we will never had as good a chance to get in the play offs. It's been a poor league standard wise. Very poor. Close from top to bottom tells me just how average it was. If we where half decent,, we'd have got into the play offs and started to build from there. Instead we played Bennett & Graham etc too much. And went long periods without winning, changing the side too much. Messing about putting players in wrong positions. And overall, didnt improve on last season.
    Same for ten teams, though!
    I bet fans of every club outside the play-offs are saying the same thing.

Same for ten teams, though!
    I bet fans of every club outside the play-offs are saying the same thing.
    Be the same next season, or if we don't find a keeper, and a centre half to replace the ones we have now lost we will finish lower.
    Onl this season, we will have no money to invest in the first team. Lookinf around at the 10 other sides you mention, not many have a 15 goal season striker in their side. Imagine if we had no money, and had to sell him? That could make us weaker aswell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)