+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Repaying the Government!

Repaying the Government!

Not a popular company on here I know, And I don’t know enough about their company ways of working, but the Trading Statement today from Asos made for a surprise!

“Asos plans to repay the Government the money it saved by furloughing around 1,000 staff via the Job Retention Scheme as the pandemic hit.*
    Asos said: 'As a result of our expectation that we will deliver a better than initially anticipated full-year performance, we are repaying the support we received from the UK Government furlough scheme.'*
    Asos said the cost of the repayment looked set to come in at just under £2million for April.

Could Football clubs follow Suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Not a popular company on here I know, And I don’t know enough about their company ways of working, but the Trading Statement today from Asos made for a surprise!

“Asos plans to repay the Government the money it saved by furloughing around 1,000 staff via the Job Retention Scheme as the pandemic hit.*
    Asos said: 'As a result of our expectation that we will deliver a better than initially anticipated full-year performance, we are repaying the support we received from the UK Government furlough scheme.'*
    Asos said the cost of the repayment looked set to come in at just under £2million for April.

They've done a fantastic amount of business due to the pandemic and the effects of the lockdown on the high street .

It's a decent move by them and fair play .

They haven't the greatest reputation as a company to work for and this seems a decent opportunity for them to improve their image .

Maybe they have something now to hit back with after the Guardian exposed them for the way they have treated employees .

They are also under scrutiny from the recent Leicester garment industry exposure where some of their suppliers are paying workers £3 an hour and working in terrible conditions .

Seems to be a bit of damage limitation going on here and they've discovered public relations remarkably enough .

Are Direct Sports and Next going to follow suite ? Both have poor records regarding Staff ,

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post

They could , but i doubt very much they will ,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Are Direct Sports and Next going to follow suite ? Both have poor records regarding Staff ,
    I don't know how Sports Direct have done with their internet sales but I don't think Next pulled any trees up because they had to completely shut their DC's for quite a while after coming under pressure from local authorities because of the lack of social distancing in the DC's .

This garment industry in Leicester is a real scandal on many levels .

Firstly many illegal immigrants are recruited to work within it which is why they can pay them £3 and hour and not the legal minimum wage .

Secondly they've worked through the pandemic to service companies like ASOS who as I say have done a tremendous amount of business .

Lastly there's a link between Leicester having to locally lockdown again and the city's garment industry keeping the Covid - 19 infection rate at the highest in the country .

It would make sense for ASOS to pay the government back with the amount of shyte flying around them and a few more fashion retailers at the moment .

The Labour council in Leicester have a lot to answer for here because it's a well known fact the city's garment industry has operated like this for years and nobody's done anything about it other than to look the other way .

Shades of Rotherham here if a slightly different matter if you know that story with young girls , Asian taxi drivers and the council .

The liberal left !!!

Don't get me started .

I thought ASOS stayed open (could be mistaken) during the lockdown and reaped the profits from vastly increased online shopping so the amount repay could be small compared to profit made. A PR Stunt.

Don't forget it's not "the Government's money", it's our money stacked up as debt for the future generation to pay off. The question is who will take the hit--the Ordinary Joe or the finance markets ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I thought ASOS stayed open (could be mistaken) during the lockdown and reaped the profits from vastly increased online shopping so the amount repay could be small compared to profit made. A PR Stunt.

Don't forget it's not "the Government's money", it's our money stacked up as debt for the future generation to pay off. The question is who will take the hit--the Ordinary Joe or the finance markets ?
    They may have remained open but furloughed staff to implement social distancing rules SB .

This is why I'm still furloughed , my place is open for business but its impossible to implement social distancing with the full staff back on the job .

All the older end and more at risk such as myself aren't likely to return before September .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I don't know how Sports Direct have done with their internet sales but I don't think Next pulled any trees up because they had to completely shut their DC's for quite a while after coming under pressure from local authorities because of the lack of social distancing in the DC's .

This garment industry in Leicester is a real scandal on many levels .

Firstly many illegal immigrants are recruited to work within it which is why they can pay them £3 and hour and not the legal minimum wage .

Secondly they've worked through the pandemic to service companies like ASOS who as I say have done a tremendous amount of business .

Lastly there's a link between Leicester having to locally lockdown again and the city's garment industry keeping the Covid - 19 infection rate at the highest in the country .

It would make sense for ASOS to pay the government back with the amount of shyte flying around them and a few more fashion retailers at the moment .

The Labour council in Leicester have a lot to answer for here because it's a well known fact the city's garment industry has operated like this for years and nobody's done anything about it other than to look the other way .

Shades of Rotherham here if a slightly different matter if you know that story with young girls , Asian taxi drivers and the council .

The liberal left !!!

Don't get me started .

All this going on under Keith Vaz's watch as Labour MP for Leicester East
    Kier Starmer needs to act now & bring the horrible Vaz to book for his recent crimes & his 10 year Leicester East tenure whilst this was & is going on
    Get yourself some extra credibility Kier & denounce the vile Vaz
    If it costs the LP votes so be it you've got 4 years to catch up