+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Favourite type of face mask

Favourite type of face mask

I never ever thought I would be starting a thread using this title but in these very strange times, here goes!

I've got a few different ones - a couple of home made cloth ones my mum made for and sent to me, a couple of pretty floral ones, I bought online and a pack of disposable ones to carry round in my bag for just in case I forget to take mine out with me.

The simple home made ones are actually by far the most breathable/comfortable. I've tried the others but I'm forever pulling them down out of my eyes which I know is not good!

What about you?
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 17-07-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Tricky one, Tinker-Bell. I’ve tried most if not all, and they all make my face sweat.

I tried a ‘Snood” the other day, but when worn with shades, I just looked like an unfit Derek Chisora lookalike, at a weigh-in. Not a great look, in the Bank either, security were sh1tting themselves when I reached for my wallet

The face shields are ok, but you feel a bit daft. I suppose you have to be alive to feel a bit daft, so I’ll probably continue with that.
    Last edited by Exiledvillan; 19-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.

The Derek Chisora comparison made me laugh! I think we all feel a bit daft looking at the moment!

It's funny, after a visit to the bank the other day, I was reflecting that the way we are being asked to cover our faces now, would be a bank robbers paradise - security won't be able to tell the robbers from the conscientious mask wearing citizens!

I don't mind them too much, but quite a few people are complaining to me about them being too hot and glasses wearers are also complaining that they now steam up! I haven't tried a visor - they look like they would be more comfortable if you were having to wear them for hours at a time. Feel so much for the medics having to wear full PPE all day every day, so think a mask isn't too much of an ask at the moment but I know many are really resenting them, mainly because there have been so many mixed messages about their efficacy ...

Are they compulsory in Eire at the moment, Exiled? In England, they are only mandatory on public transport right now, and you have to wear them if you are going into a hospital/medical surgery. They're being made mandatory in shops in England from next Friday ...
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 19-07-2020 at 09:37 PM.

By the way, I forgot to say, I spotted that you can now get Villa face coverings. All proceeds to Acorns, Birmingham Children's Hospital and the AVFC foundation, which is a nice gesture ...

Hi Win. Yeah mandatory in shops and enclosed spaces where SD is not possible, kicks in today (Monday). The Young Villan and I have Villa Snoods, but I'm too old for them really, and struggle with the soaking face after 5 mins. As for the specs/sunglasses, rest the specs over the top of the wire bit on the mask and problem solved.

You're not too old for snoods! I get the hot face though - I've got a couple of snoods I wear when it's freezing, but couldn't wear them right now! Great tip re the sunglasses! I've not worn them yet with a mask but will definitely try that and suggest it to others when they moan about their glasses A few days until they are mandatory in shops but hardly anyone near me seems to be wearing them unless they absolutely have to at the moment - just goody gumdrops here, and a few elderly (in snoods )

Btw... Is the young Villan back at school yet? I thought of him the other day as my cousin was telling me her young son had done a few days back at school, before the long hols started, which he loved, which he said was partly due to being able to see his friends again, and partly because he didn't have to do nearly as much work as his mum makes him do at home! (It made me think of your wife home schooling your son ) She's been working him hard, but thought she might have got a bit over enthusiastic about the home schooling, when her son brought down the duvets for himself and his little sister telling her "You go watch tv, now Mummy, we're tired. We need rest." (He's 5 xx) No veggie Tinkerbell nonsense from my cous!
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 21-07-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Ah, the Cous must be an Elf then, Tinkerbell . Tough, meat eating, Stella drinking, buggers them Elves.

The Young Villan will hopefully be back in school in September, been off since March 13th.

The mask thing is not too bad, most are wearing them in shops. There are quite a few ‘COVID deniers’ over here, walking around in T-shirts that mock those who wear masks. Not sure if they’re locals, as the Tourists returned to Kilkenny in droves on Monday.

Whilst some may respect their choice and free speech, they have no right to put innocent people at risk. This low life should realise that the mask is not ‘all about them’, it is to protect others from breathing other people’s airborne mucus,

Why are militant ‘COVID deniers’ any different to drink drivers? Both stick the finger up to the safety of others.

We are a very selfish society

Ha ha, her father, my uncle, whom I call my "caveman Uncle" as he gives me so much of a hard time for being what he calls a "lefty greenie bleeding heart veggie", (I stick my nose up in the air and say I am just evolved and that he still belongs in a cave) will be delighted that you think that he created an Elf not a Tinkerbell like me! Giggles! You two would get on well.

I fully agree re people protesting about the mask wearing. I can understand people's scepticism re efficacy, given we were given different advice at the beginning of this, and think we do need a better education on how to wear a mask properly (ie washing hands/using gel before and after putting them, on, using the ear loops, trying to avoid touching the face etc, so we don't inadvertently contaminate ourselves wearing them etc), BUT for people who complain about it being some kind of an infringement of their human rights, I have absolutely no sympathy.

As you say, it is not about us, it is about protecting other people - and coming together as a society to look after each other. Do they not care about the rights of people not to die before their time, alone on a ventilator (as was the case at the peak of this) and the rights of loved ones who were denied the opportunity to visit them and say goodbye (as happened to 2 friends of mine). There has been so much kindness by some, shopping for elderly neighbours etc, and the humbling job that medics and care workers etc have been doing, at great risk to themselves, and then there are the me me me's. You are quite right - totally selfish in attitude and behaviour.
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 23-07-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)