+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The changing face of Dumfries

The changing face of Dumfries

Amongst the businesses closing in town are the Pancake Place after almost 40 years in business, Ryman the stationers whose lease ran out and they were unable to agree terms with their landlord and Derek Laing Hairdressing at Calside Road who have been in trade in Dumfries for 50 years. Hopefully there are not more to come in these difficult times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Amongst the businesses closing in town are the Pancake Place after almost 40 years in business, Ryman the stationers whose lease ran out and they were unable to agree terms with their landlord and Derek Laing Hairdressing at Calside Road who have been in trade in Dumfries for 50 years. Hopefully there are not more to come in these difficult times.

no doubt there will be quite a few more ftivano after this corona thing is done ,i just hope we dont see more coffee shops ,pound shops and charity shops taking over these premises as there just a waste of space these places too many of them littering dumfries .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    no doubt there will be quite a few more ftivano after this corona thing is done ,i just hope we dont see more coffee shops ,pound shops and charity shops taking over these premises as there just a waste of space these places too many of them littering dumfries .
    How many pound shops does Dumfries have in the town centre these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    How many pound shops does Dumfries have in the town centre these days ?
    i think thay have dwindled away aloreburn but at one time there was about 5 of them ,coffee shops seem to be the new crap in town these days must be about 10 of them scattered around town and charity shops ,well thay seem to be popping up all over the place ,taking a walk along the highstreet you go past 4 bookies ,about 5 closed stores ,3 charity shops on highstreet alone ,4 coffee shops ,4 vape shops lol ,we only have about 5 or 6 stores to buy products in burtons ,debenams,m and s ,boots ,newlook ,shue zone ,argos ,canny think of any others tho there will be ,total nightmare dumfries for shopping these days ,only reson i go into town centre nowadays is to go to either greggs ,game shop ,or the chinease lol ,do all my shopping online as the main stores in dumfries just dont do it for me and id reckon most people ,thats the prob with this town .

Derek Lang was a old guy apparently and retirement was no surprise according to my neighbour.
    Pancake place, Dumfries was the last remaining shop having closed down Glasgow and elsewhere, again according to what I was told.
    Rymans too expensive but sad to see them go.

The Pancake Place Company is a small Scottish firm from Perth that was founded in the 1970s and has cafes in Elgin, Dunfermline and Dundee as well as Dumfries so a sad day if they have all closed.

Dumfries was the last one still open from what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Dumfries was the last one still open from what I was told.

I now see Fleshers Bar has decided it won’t reopen again due to all these government restrictions. Sadly it won’t be the first of perhaps many

Someone on Facebook saying the cafe continental is closing

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)