+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On this day 30 years ago…….

On this day 30 years ago…….

Still feels like yesterday. What.A. Day.

The most perfect of days and weekends, what a cup run, the performance to a man in the final, brilliant

Still for me the most epic day as an Arab, to this day get goosebumps everytime I watch the end of goal and glory showing the highlights with lovely day

Being a youngster at the time have hazy memories of the whole day, same with the Well final of 91.
    The thing that I'll always remember was this difference in buildup to both finals. 91 was a bit of a tense affair, but going round the pubs with my father before the 94 final there were so many extremely confident Arabs. Maybe it was because of all the finals we should have won that made it out destiny to beat double-treble chasing Rangers (R.I.P) in some strange way and the team delivered.
    The sheer delight, relief and tears of joy flowing after that game and the next day in the square was something else.

Outside of Europe this probably ranks as one of our best ever team performances. OK we only scored once but the overall team performance was unbelievable. Absolutely incredible.
    On paper we had no chance but as Brian Clough once said thankfully football isn't played on paper. Ivan definitely took the tension away from the players pre match and they played without any fear.
    The work rate and desire from the players was fantastic. You look at the value of the players that lined up for the tax cheats and see how our players denied them space, closed them down and restricted their opportunities.
    I remember quite a bit about it, some things especially clear like the goosebumps as we belted out Dignity before kick off.
    Everyone worked their heart out especially in a second half that seemed to last 70 minutes.

Then it was over. Final whistle. Such a mixture of emotions. Grown men in tears.
    League Cups ✅
    Premier League Winners ✅
    Scottish Cup Winners ✅

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect my team to win any major trophy, never mind all 3.

It was quite ironic watching all these great United teams not win at Hampden all through the 80s then a much weaker United team do it against the odds.

Oh Ivan Golacs magic, he wears a magic hat.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)