+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piss poor

Hey up Robin, err yes Im a bit ruff this morning mate lol.
    So dont expect me to quote Shakespeare or nothing like that eh.

I am so glad that's all over. It was pretty painful watching.
    That has pretty much finished my interest off.

I will now adopt the managers stance. Sat back 4 or 5 rows in the stand last night, cutting the figure of a uninterested man.
    He had a load of young lads playing, but didn't want to help or encourage. We had a drinks break 2nd half, he didn't bother coming down and talking to his young lads wanting some kind of encouragement. He sat back and said nothing.
    At the final whistle he was nowhere to be seen, as many many Rovers fans picked up on. Like numerous players, like the manager, I have lost interest.

No crowds in grounds is actually killing the game, and turning people off, it should never have returned. That was a decision I never agreed with. I wish I never got that game pass to let me endure those awful non performances.

I am not looking forward to next season in the slightest. I have lost all respect for football. I feel the reasons for bringing it back where sinister.

And I will be happy to disagree with anyone stating 3 points extra on last season is any kind of rational improvement. Especially when you factor in, he was allowed to keep his best players, and he was given even more money to spend.

Simply not good enough, and a disappointing end to a stuttering inconsistent season.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    That was one of the most bizarre games I have witnessed.
    Apart from anything else, I've only just seen the first 15 minutes because there was a problem with that period here, live!
    Luton did not have a single shot on target (apart from the penalty!) and scored three goals.
    I will be so glad to see the crowds back. This just doesn't feel real.
    I was reasonably happy with some of the stuff I saw.
    I thought Buckley was excellent. He turned up everywhere and showed a cool head. Obviously, he won't always get so much time on the ball.
    Davenport was good too. (Very hard to tell if he got a touch to the ball first in the penalty incident).
    Rankin-Costello grew into the game, and Brereton had a good first 20.
    Carter was patchy, but he has a decent turn of speed for a big guy.

For me, next season could see the Academy finally come to the fore.
    Not sure how good Fisher is, but the outfield should see plenty of game-time for Nyambe, Lenihan, Carter, Rankin-Costello, Travis, and Buckley.
    Vale, Butterworth, Magloire, Grayson, Wharton and Platt might all be in contention too.
    Those are all Academy graduates.
    Then we have other youngish players in Davenport, Chapman, Brereton and Gallagher.
    Add in Dack and Armstrong, and we have a very decent core.
    I would keep Rothwell too, although he is one of the most frustrating players I've seen. He has loads of skill and creates space expertly, but the final product is often woeful! I think he and Chapman are best used for half an hour when defences are tiring.
    Of the older midfielders, if I had to keep two, I would prefer Downing and Bennett to Holtby and Johnson. The latter two simply don't contribute enough.
    I'd still like to see an experienced keeper and centre-back brought in.
    The left-back position is simply up in the air. Perhaps Bell will finally come good!

So, I can see a starting XI such as:
    NEW KEEPER
    Nyambe Lenihan A.N. OTHER Bell
    Travis Buckley Rankin-Costello
    Dack Brereton Armstrong.

That would still leave plenty of quality on the bench. For example, Gallagher could do a straight swap for Brereton in the second half.
    I am NOT being critical of the young kid, who is clearly not quite ready. I do agree by playing him, you can only find out. But Carter had a bit of a mare. Lenihan since lockdown has been really out of sorts I feel. I think Carters og was down to him. I must say, I disagree with his pace. I am now very concerned about his future from here. He was slower than slow. Johnson slow. The turning circle of an arctic cruiser. They possesed no real pace up front, but he was caught out badly for pace twice in the 2nd half. That's a concern. But kudos for giving him a few games, he can only leanr and improve from that, fair enough, no complaints. Will he be good enough? I wouldn't want to play in this defence so exposed so much, leaking goals for fun, no real midfield protection. And being so young, we need to be careful not to kill him too early in his career.

What a huge disappointment Holbty has been since he returned form injury. A shadow of the potential he showed early on with us.
    I don't get disappointed with Rothwell, I expect him to have no end product. He isn't getting coached to be any better (who is?) and will always be the same. He won't wake up in Sept and suddenly be better. Without improving through coaching, he will stand still.
    JRC and Buckley are at least putting themselves about. And both look good for next season. Davenport is a neat little player. Will TM trust him over Evans/Johnson? My feeling is no.

Taking our 17 goal striker with 30 mins to play defied logic. But I gave up trying to understand a while back, and just accept it now.

I must admit I shamefully forgot Evans when I was doing my summary.
    That does mean I would be happy to lose just about everybody on Robin's list, although I'd still be tempted to keep Downing for his flexibility and experience.
    What I meant about Carter's pace, Champs, was speed over a distance. Someone his size is never going to be nippy off the mark, but when he was beaten that one time, he actually did catch the player again.
    As things stand, now, the player we MUST keep is Nyambe. In 18 months time, he could be worth 8-10 million.
    I don't think a player like Rothwell CAN be coached to be better in match-situations. Mowbray has regularly told us how often he has laboured the point about end-product with Rothwell. In fact, though, when you watch him, it is obvious why his very high skill-level has not taken him to the top. It seems he simply can't think or look ahead. His runs very rarely come to anything, and his shot-on-the-run and free kick both showed basic failings in technique.
    All the same, it seems a pity to discard that skill. He often leaves his marker for dead.

Incidentally, I totally agree that this post-COVID football was not a good idea. It just feels wrong, somehow.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 24-07-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    How is the head today acido?
    I too had a few drinks last night to blot out what was a whimper rather than finishing in style.
    I could hear my brother in law from down at my house and so glad I declined the invitation to watch the game at his,after all I had to put up with his gloating all the way back from ewood.
    We need to clear alot of deadwood out and add probably a good 7 decent players.
    Out:leutwiller
    Williams
    Mulgrew
    Smallwood
    Johnson
    Holtby
    Bennett
    Downing
    Chapman
    Samuel
    Graham

In:2 new keepers
    2 new centre backs
    Left back
    Left winger
    Right winger

Yet again another window where the defence needs looking at,let's hope for 3rd time lucky.
    Robin - I've mentioned in a post to Champs that I might linger over Downing. I think he has a future in coaching, anyway.
    The other puzzle is Chapman. It's pretty obvious that the issue with him is self-discipline, rather than lack of ability. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    What has happened to Hart?

Hart is out of contract and admittedly I forgot about him.
    Downing is an ok player and one I would only keep on if there is no other viable options available.
    Reading between the lines Graham and downing will be gone anyway.
    We need 2 proper wingers as much as we need a centre back and a keeper,the want to play forwards on the wings,needs to stop.
    Our money men brereton and Gallagher have both proved they are far more useful upfront,rather than floundering on the wing.
    Are they going to be a handful next season?yes I think they will but only if played in the correct position.

My feeling, Robin is that Rankin-Costello and Chapman can be used as wingers.
    I really can't see there will be cash for more than two players - in terms of actual transfer fees.
    Mind you, I haven't made a lot of money, so far, from betting on what Venky's will do next!

I am not that enthusiastic about Chapman,his attitude is apparently poor.
    Rankin Costello maybe so but we definitely need a couple more.
    We have struggled for proper wide men.

The problem is, though, experienced wingers who are effective (that is, not just skilful - but also able to create goals regularly) are rare and expensive.

Hopefully the scouting network who got so much fan fare will come good.
    Failing that d'amari-Philips who we had on loan from city looked brilliant for the under 18s.
    I know there is a big difference between under 18s and the championship but he had something very special about him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)