+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Should he stay or should he go?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    That could have easily and very probably happened under any new manager. The main contributors to that success were the Danes, not Ardley. He hung on with his fingernails because no one else wanted him after he managed to get our club relegated, why would they? Get a jumbo sized bag in.
    Could have, might have?? We could have finished bottom under a new manager.
    You seem to know a lot about Ardley and who did and didn't want him? Hell of a lot of guessing and speculation there Gumpy

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Could have, might have?? We could have finished bottom under a new manager.
    You seem to know a lot about Ardley and who did and didn't want him? Hell of a lot of guessing and speculation there Gumpy
    Not really. Would you have wanted to employ a manager who just got a club relegated from the FL? Would we still have a football club without the Danes, no. Would we still have a football club without Ardley, yes. The only speculation is whether a new manager might have had an equal amount of success with the money the Danes have put in, my guess would be, most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Yeah I wish he had instead said "I told the boys to start slowly, and had no idea how Harrogate would play against us".

That would have gone down well on here. Managers tactically get it wrong, players don't carry out pre match instructions, sometimes players who played really well the previous game have a poor game the next weekend.

Nothing new, just football.
    Hmm,,the strawiest of straw men.

What actually happened was that Ardley told the players how Harrogate played, apparently prepared the players for how Harrogate played, and when the defence in particular couldn’t put any of that preparation into practice, he didn’t change a single thing until the 87th minute. This was despite having some really good subs, some of whom had been more impressive than those who started.

My main point wasn’t about what happened on Sunday though, it was about how keeping the manager after a failed playoff campaign has very often not worked, either for Notts or for clubs in this league. I don’t think the owners will get rid, but I presume we’re all allowed an opinion on whether they should or not?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... you're deluded Davy. Nolan was finished. His team of cronies were finished. He built nothing ...
    Its You thats deluded, its NA that has built nothing, just releagted us to the national league, and now for another season, all because of his negative tactics

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Davy you've answered the question in a roundabout way.

As you said Hardy made bad decisions, very bad decisions. You then go onto give details of some of these hugely costly had decisions. The last time I checked the chairman/owners hold the purse strings they sanction the transfers, and hire and fire managers.

There is your answer. Sacking Nolan wasn't Ardley's fault , appointing Kewell and wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds wasn't the current managers fault. He actually benefited as you suggest as the then chairman didn't have the cash to sack a 3rd manager that season.

You can't highlight all those bad mistakes by the Chairman and then almost entirely blame Ardley and say it's not Hardy's fault. Huge contradiction.

Alas none of this matters now as thankfully we have new owners and Hardy's now infamous involvement is consigned to the history books. Black footballing humour at its finest , sadly.
    NA job is winning matches on the football field, Hardys is financially running the club
    When NA arrived we were outside the bottom 2, and then Hardy backed NA heavily in the january transfer window , thats why i blame NA

You are right, that thankfully we have new owners, that seem much more stable. However i am sure their patience won,t last forever

As i said before until NA can stop teams with a high press, and busy midfield, and Start games fast we are going no where

The arragance of some Notts supporters ( not you) in saying we will be champions next year amazes me. If we do all the better. I predict paly offs again- where NA will be asked the same questions again, can he get them right next time?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Not really. Would you have wanted to employ a manager who just got a club relegated from the FL? Would we still have a football club without the Danes, no. Would we still have a football club without Ardley, yes. The only speculation is whether a new manager might have had an equal amount of success with the money the Danes have put in, my guess would be, most probably.
    Exactly, your guess? Getting back to your original statement, you saying we haven't progressed when obviously we have from where the season started.
    And if you want to guess or speculate maybe the Danes might have relied on Ardley for help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Exactly, your guess? Getting back to your original statement, you saying we haven't progressed when obviously we have from where the season started.
    And if you want to guess or speculate maybe the Danes might have relied on Ardley for help and advice.
    Strictly speaking from a league position, you could argue we have not progressed. Was In the national league at the start of the season, still in the national league next season ...

"NA job is winning matches on the football field, Hardys is financially running the club"

That has to be one of my favourite things I've read on here.

So NA did a really poor job of winning football matches last season. No doubt about it.
    How did Hardy do with his job of financially running the club? What word(s) describe how he did his job?

As the pundit said before the game of Sunday, if your club is a mess of the pitch it's very often a mess on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Hmm,,the strawiest of straw men.

What actually happened was that Ardley told the players how Harrogate played, apparently prepared the players for how Harrogate played, and when the defence in particular couldn’t put any of that preparation into practice, he didn’t change a single thing until the 87th minute. This was despite having some really good subs, some of whom had been more impressive than those who started.

My main point wasn’t about what happened on Sunday though, it was about how keeping the manager after a failed playoff campaign has very often not worked, either for Notts or for clubs in this league. I don’t think the owners will get rid, but I presume we’re all allowed an opinion on whether they should or not?
    Huh? When did Thomas and Enzio come on? Half time right? So he did make two changes to the side when 2-0 down.

Imagine at half time if the two changes had been DKE and Rawlinson for Brindley and Turner. Makes sense , that will improve the defence. We are 2-0 down , we need goals, we need to create something. It worked for the first 15 mins of 2nd half.

It's really easy for all us fans to play Hindsight manager, we'd hardly ever make a mistake.

If the record after a playoff defeat is as bad as you say. What's your plan? New manager, who?

As someone else said , we have a history of sacking managers with nobody in mind and just see who puts in an application, invite 3/4 for interviews. Appoint one, sack him and repeat.

Our record of that is impressive lol

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Strictly speaking from a league position, you could argue we have not progressed. Was In the national league at the start of the season, still in the national league next season ...
    Bit of a silly statement that? Plenty of teams in all divisions have finished in the same league where they started but in your eyes not one of them as progressed?
    And how many teams were in the same position as Notts in August 2019?

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast