+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Should he stay or should he go?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I was giving a balanced view and of course no fan should pretend it didn't happen. Anyone who lived through it won't forget it. It was a complete sh!tshow with a multitude of contributing factors.

I wasn't impressed by him in our relegation season.
    Does that mean that your desire to keep Ardley is based more on the 'constantly changing managers gets you nowhere' theory rather than a genuine belief that he is the right person to take us forward? I haven't had that belief from day one, but would love to be proved wrong.

So far though, all he's achieved is to take us down a division.

I was giving a balanced view and of course no fan should pretend it didn't happen. Anyone who lived through it won't forget it. It was a complete sh!tshow with a multitude of contributing factors.

I wasn't impressed by him in our relegation season. Wasn't impressed by any of our managers that season. Nolan the worse by far even over a short period. I was shocked about how awful we started that season after a very positive campaign that ended in the play offs. It was inexcusable and a complete surprise to all.

As in the season just gone Oct/Nov bad, Jan-Mar very good.

So you've not unimpressed by Ardley since he arrived. Fair enough.

How many past managers performances have been impressive at Notts in the last 20 seasons?

I'd suggest you can count them easily on one hand.

Yes but nearly all of them have been more impressive than Ardley ,and did you mistype should have been nolan the best of the 3 managers that season..Because of idiots wanting Nolan gone, that in part lead to the mess , and the clown Ardley being appointed

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Yes but nearly all of them have been more impressive than Ardley ,and did you mistype should have been nolan the best of the 3 managers that season..Because of idiots wanting Nolan gone, that in part lead to the mess , and the clown Ardley being appointed
    I wonder where we would have been if Ardley was sacked after relegation? Would the Danes have come in with us having no one running the ship? Did they talk to him before they bought the club?
    And if he was sacked how long before a new manager was appointed and how long before he could get a team together? Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
    Maybe because Ardley was there in place and knew the club etc. helped, who knows.

Am I right that you are very anti-Ardley but very pro-Nolan?

Perhaps with the managerial changes over the years it is better that we have owners who are gently influencing the squad composition via their business and don't need to be in the news all the time, rather than a manager who completely F***s it up all the time and leaves a train wreck for the next manager and on and on and on and on and on. I'm pretty happy even if I don't like Ardley very much now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Fair enough, I think it’s an awful decision, but we’ll see...
    Michael Doyle is much like Alan Smith, Mike Edwards (in his second spell) and Shola Ameobi were at Notts and there seems to be a mindset amongst some supporters that players that are around the squad in their mid to late 30’s are passed it and of no use. That is far from the reality.

Michael Doyle is a consummate professional and is a leader and a winner. He has had a good career and has lots of experience. To be regularly playing at 39 years old is testament to how he’s looked after himself and been self motivated through his career. This type of player are an example and set the standard for the younger players to follow.

I doubt we are not just signing him for what he can do on the field, but what he can do off the field and what he brings to the dressing room.

We only have to look back at what happens when these kinds of players and characters leave a club. I believe when we lost Smith, Edwards and Ameobi out of the dressing room after the L2 playoffs this played a part in our downfall the following season. You can’t easily replace experience and big characters. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water and repeat the same mistakes. Especially with Neil Cox leaving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Michael Doyle is much like Alan Smith, Mike Edwards (in his second spell) and Shola Ameobi were at Notts and there seems to be a mindset amongst some supporters that players that are around the squad in their mid to late 30’s are passed it and of no use. That is far from the reality.

Michael Doyle is a consummate professional and is a leader and a winner. He has had a good career and has lots of experience. To be regularly playing at 39 years old is testament to how he’s looked after himself and been self motivated through his career. This type of player are an example and set the standard for the younger players to follow.

I doubt we are not just signing him for what he can do on the field, but what he can do off the field and what he brings to the dressing room.

We only have to look back at what happens when these kinds of players and characters leave a club. I believe when we lost Smith, Edwards and Ameobi out of the dressing room after the L2 playoffs this played a part in our downfall the following season. You can’t easily replace experience and big characters. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water and repeat the same mistakes. Especially with Neil Cox leaving as well.
    Agreed.

I have always said that losing Smith, Edwards and Ameobi had a big effecf.

I am not saying it is their fault of course but rather it wasn't recognised and addressed.

How many times have we said that inexperienced managers need a D of F figure? Often been promised.

Craig Short had imo the requirements to be a good manager but a Chairman who never addressed the D of F thing and was trigger happy soon put paid to that.

No mistype.

I asked who in past 20 seasons has been an impressive manager.

The last bit you put is interesting. How many idiots on here were wanting him out, I honestly can't remember but I don't recall there being an uprising from restless locals. I assume you are including Mr Hardy as one of the idiots? As he has control of the club he's the only "idiot that mattered"

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Does that mean that your desire to keep Ardley is based more on the 'constantly changing managers gets you nowhere' theory rather than a genuine belief that he is the right person to take us forward? I haven't had that belief from day one, but would love to be proved wrong.

So far though, all he's achieved is to take us down a division.
    Yes, both are contributing factors but is certainly based more on the 'constantly changing managers gets you nowhere' theory.

Except it's no longer a theory Elite, not after 20+ years of evidence I'm confident in stating that it is now "fact". Changing managers constantly and rarely giving them a full season let alone two simply does not work.

Would love to hear the argument against that statement, ideally without quoting the Munto season for the obvious (financial long term) reasons.

Yes, both are contributing factors but is certainly based more on the 'constantly changing managers gets you nowhere' theory.

Except it's no longer a theory Elite, not after 20+ years of evidence I'm confident in stating that it is now "fact". Changing managers constantly and rarely giving them a full season let alone two simply does not work.

Would love to hear the argument against that statement, ideally without quoting the Munto season for the obvious (financial long term) reasons.
    I agree that the evidence points to a lack of success when changing managers so frequently. We need to factor in that with changes in management there is also huge changes in the squad. Every year we released large portions of our squad and then would hear the same ‘will take us 10 games or so to gel’.
    Munto season aside this will be the first season I can remember where the bulk of the squad has been retained (If those offered contracts accept) and where we will probably make 3/4 permanent signings and 2/3 loan signings. There can be no excuses for not making a solid if not fast start to next season.

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast