+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Should he stay or should he go?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    As the biggest part of costs is starting including players, the only way in your world would be to make them redundant. Where would that leave us?
    By redundant you mean agreeing to terminate contracts? If that’s the case then it’s pointless as you would essentially pay them what they are owed for the next 1, 2 or 3 years which wouldn’t achieve financial stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    By redundant you mean agreeing to terminate contracts? If that’s the case then it’s pointless as you would essentially pay them what they are owed for the next 1, 2 or 3 years which wouldn’t achieve financial stability.
    Exactly, so what are clubs supposed to do?

As the biggest part of costs is starting including players, the only way in your world would be to make them redundant. Where would that leave us?
    In my world?

Not spending more than you can earn is a pretty basic rule in the world of anyone who's solvent. Of course in the world of gamblers and bankrupts you just keep on spending, believing that if you speculate to accumulate, salvation is just around the corner. But it usually isn't. I think we've had enough lessons to that effect over the past 20 years.

As for making players redundant, that's unlikely. But it could mean signing fewer players than normal to replace those who have left, or signing players on lesser wages.

Where will that leave us? Well, given that other clubs are having to do the same thing and perhaps to a greater degree, it leaves us with every chance of still being competitive, but also not in administration.
    Last edited by jackal2; 10-08-2020 at 09:10 PM.

If we (UK sport) don't open up by October clubs are going to go through. No income stream, no business. The furlough money drops down then and businesses that can't trade are just going to collapse.
    I normally agree Jackal but we're beyond trimming staff and paying less, we're reaching a point of unviability.
    Neil Black, owner of the Panthers is nobody's fool and he's quite clear that Panthers need to open up properly, not at 20% capacity to be viable. I don't think the owner of Dover or Barnet are bluffing either, they're right on the edge of the abyss.

In what circumstances should a manager be sacked?

I would say if a manger relegates a club, that is a pretty big shout they should be sacked

As as of now this is the second season we will be in the national league, if we had sacked Ardley after relegation, we could of had a new manager who could have promoted us back to the football league
    Barring a new mangager relegating us from NL , we would have ended up no worse
    ( owners probably stuck with Ardley, because they didnt want to pay of his 2 year contract)

We really aren't the fanbase to answer your opening question

Could + could = promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post

I would say if a manger relegates a club, that is a pretty big shout they should be sacked

As as of now this is the second season we will be in the national league, if we had sacked Ardley after relegation, we could of had a new manager who could have promoted us back to the football league
    ( owners probably stuck with Ardley, because they didnt want to pay of his 2 year contract)

I don't really blame Neal Ardley for our relegation. I don't completely absolve him either, but I think Kevin Nolan lost focus and prepared us really badly for the season, and Alan Hardy then compounded the problem with erratic decision-making, whether you think he was wrong to hire Kewell or wrong to sack him. Either way, a lot of things were done impulsively and badly before and during the first half of the relegation season which played a big part in the outcome.

Could a different manager have saved us? Possibly. I could accept the argument that a Neil Warnock or Martin Allen-type manager might have had a more immediate impact than Ardley, whose managerial career at Wimbledon showed he could steadily build and improve a club and get them to a point where they are hitting considerably above their weight, but did not suggest he's the type who inspires an overnight turnaround in results. So yes, you could question whether Hardy picked the right manager for that particular moment, given that Ardley didn't save us.

But I think there were plenty of signs over the past few months that Ardley is starting to build something more positive at Notts. We were fairly flying when we got to 3rd place before the lockdown, and one poor performance in the play-off final, albeit a costly one, doesn't mean we should overlook the positives and progress from a season that began in hugely difficult circumstances.

I've got a few gripes with Ardley's approach at times, but I'm happy with the calm, patient approach of the new owners, giving the manager time to build something more solid and long-term. We've tried the "chop and change" "hire and fire" approach to managers long enough now to know it increases our chances of failure, not success.

Let's wait and see how we start next season and take things from there. I certainly don't think there will be any rash, impulsive decisions coming from these owners. Even if they ultimately dispense with Ardley at some point, I think it would be after careful deliberation and analysis, and having given him plenty of time. Right now, I think they are broadly happy with the job he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post

Well you managed a post without mentioning how wonderful Nolan is.

Could of, could have ...... guarantees nothing.

I am happier to have owners and a manager with good ethos than I ever was with Martin Allen, no matter what league we are in.

I do think though promotion is almost a must this season. I say almost as another play-off final, where we lose by a dodgy ref decision would be acceptable.

Well you managed a post without mentioning how wonderful Nolan is.

Could of, could have ...... guarantees nothing.

I am happier to have owners and a manager with good ethos than I ever was with Martin Allen, no matter what league we are in.

I do think though promotion is almost a must this season. I say almost as another play-off final, where we lose by a dodgy ref decision would be acceptable.
    LOl I do not want to dissapoint you. We would still be in league 2 if we had stayed with Nolan. Nolan stats still remain better than Ardley,s , and at least he was swindled out of the play offs by shocking referee decisions, what excuse did Ardley have? Even Stallard said this after the harragate horror show

Moving on. Ardley learnt nothing, he still can not stop teams with a high press, eg Harrogate, Barrow, and remember Cheltenham last season ( and most from league 2) - starts slow and the defense crumbles when teams come at us

This season is a big chance , Ardleys contract expires next May, so its in his own interests to get promotion, and he gets a new 2 or 3 year contract , if not its all over for him

We've got to really go for it next season. If backed by the owners the manager has no excuses if he fails to get promotion.

So far he and the owners have started the close season very well with some impressive signatures. Let's see what the rest of close/pre season brings.

Excellent post jackal , some good points well made. I echo the overall sentiment

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast