+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT - to mask or not to mask........

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I don't remember going to schools where people are drunk and are standing shoulder to shoulder, having lost all sense of reasoning.
    But that’s the whole point Ram. That isn’t happening now because preventative steps have been taken.
    I’ve been in two pubs in the last fortnight. In the first, as MA describes in the Neptune, everyone had to be seated at socially distanced tables. In the second we were only allowed to sit in semi enclosed ‘pods’ in the garden. Owners know that if they break the rules or there’s an outbreak traced back to them they’ll be shut again.
    Social distancing was happening in schools before the summer holidays, but the requirement for all children to return to school is unrealistic.
    Class sizes of 20-30+ and social distancing are incompatible...simple as that. Add in the number of contacts each child makes with parents, siblings and grandparents etc and the possible consequences just haven’t been thought through.
    The problem has, as ever, just been ‘kicked down the road’ until it rears its ugly head again in September.

Here's an article from the Dutch RIVM explaining that children can indeed, pass CV19 on to other children and also to adults. It is less common than adults passing it on but it does happen.

The 2nd link says that U5s have way more "units" of the virus than 6 to 18 year olds and way, way more than adults.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronav...n-and-covid-19

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/ki...udy-2020-07-31

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I don't remember going to schools where people are drunk and are standing shoulder to shoulder, having lost all sense of reasoning.
    Youve clearly never been to a Nottingham school Ram!

I’ve been looking at the numbers after someone make a point on radio yesterday and no-one followed the point up. We are pretty high up on the deaths per capita table, but way down on the cases per capita, and that’s despite a testing regime that is ‘ok’ if by no means perfect. Does this mean a) as a nation we have a genetic or lifestyle-driven weakness, or God forbid the NHS are doing something wrong? It’s a genuine question, not sure if my calcs are right and there’s nothing I can find on the web about it

The idea that the beatified NHS could be doing something wrong is more than the happy clappers of Thursdays past could and would accept. So even if they were, our esteemed and open government would need to cover it up. Its an interesting question though, Not so many get it, but those that do are more likely to die. I'm thinking its probably that more have got it than we are aware of............

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I’ve been looking at the numbers after someone make a point on radio yesterday and no-one followed the point up. We are pretty high up on the deaths per capita table, but way down on the cases per capita, and that’s despite a testing regime that is ‘ok’ if by no means perfect. Does this mean a) as a nation we have a genetic or lifestyle-driven weakness, or God forbid the NHS are doing something wrong? It’s a genuine question, not sure if my calcs are right and there’s nothing I can find on the web about it
    Have you seen "that" interview with Trump, where the interviewer and Trump were only interested in the opposing stat for deaths per capita vs cases per capita?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yes, I've noticed this. New cases are far higher in much of the EU, Including Germany, especially when you consider that the UK are now leading the way on testing. But our death figures continue to be the highest.

There may be many reasons, poor UK treatment, vulnerable UK citizens contracting covid, UK not testing the right people, UK over reporting deaths linked to covid. The EU could be the opposite of the previous reasons. No doubt countless inquiries may reveal some of the truth over the next few months or years.

One interesting statement that I read the other day was that covid deaths in care homes were reported by the care home operator WITHOUT the requirement of a either a positive test, medical examination or even covid being mentioned on the death certificate.

For those faint hearts who get so tetchy at any criticism of the current government I’ll pass on any comment about their performance.

It would seem however, judging from this morning’s announcement in relation to France, Malta and MA’s adopted homeland, that the truth is...we are all screwed until a vaccine is found.

What seems to have happened is that lockdown has proved an effective way of controlling the spread of the virus, but very shortly after any attempts at returning to normality (shops, pubs, restaurants, resorts etc reopening) have been attempted the virus has returned with a vengeance...in all countries, not just ours.

The implications from the point of view of schools (crucially important) and sports stadiums (important to those on this forum) are obvious.

Depressingly I really can no longer see how it’s going to be possible to reopen sports stadia before a safe and effective vaccine has been discovered and implemented. The consequences for education, society and the economy are obviously infinitely more important but, as this is a DCFC/Football forum, what are the implications for our club and for the dozens of smaller clubs as the reintroduction of paying spectators seems ever less imminent?

P.S. Curious that Italy, which six months ago was Europe’s Coronavirus hotpot, seems to be doing relatively well. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-08-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    For those faint hearts who get so tetchy at any criticism of the current government I’ll pass on any comment about their performance.

It would seem however, judging from this morning’s announcement in relation to France, Malta and MA’s adopted homeland, that the truth is...we are all screwed until a vaccine is found.

What seems to have happened is that lockdown has proved an effective way of controlling the spread of the virus, but very shortly after any attempts at returning to normality (shops, pubs, restaurants, resorts etc reopening) have been attempted the virus has returned with a vengeance...in all countries, not just ours.

The implications from the point of view of schools (crucially important) and sports stadiums (important to those on this forum) are obvious.

Depressingly I really can no longer see how it’s going to be possible to reopen sports stadia before a safe and effective vaccine has been discovered and implemented. The consequences for education, society and the economy are obviously infinitely more important but, as this is a DCFC/Football forum, what are the implications for our club and for the dozens of smaller clubs as the reintroduction of paying spectators seems ever less imminent?
    Well thats fine IF an effective vaccine is found. Although lets put matters into perspective, its estimated less than 6% of the UK population has been infected, the infection rates reported are tiny percentages of a nations population, cases requiring hospital treatment are very low.

So we are back to if your a person vulnerable if you catch Corvid-19 then you take your own precautions and protect yourself according to your own judgement. If your not then just act sensible and get on with life.

The fact is that for the next 18 months or very possibly longer we are going to have to live with the virus, in reality we probably are going to have to live with it for ever and the impact on not getting on with life will be much worse.

Once people understand that and accept it, then we shall be returning to the new normal.

That first paragraph is very true Swale...but to what extent is that 6% figure a direct consequence of the lockdown measures that have been put in place?

I completely understand and accept your concerns about the economic consequences...but again, how much higher would that % figure be if steps hadn’t been taken in relation to schools, public transport, theatres, shops, pubs, air travel, sports stadia, doctors, dentists etc.
    My admittedly relatively inexpert opinion is...very considerably.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)