Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Thankyou danny

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,160
    Many unanswered questions with that squad.
    Would fisher be good enough as back up?
    Much of that defence is unproven,would they be good enough to step up?
    Will Chapman ever reach his early promise?
    I feel going forward we are definitely up there at the top end but defensively is where I am concerned greatly.
    Too much expectation on at least 2 academy players being able to step up.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,522
    Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Difficult question.
    Yes - I suppose I'd have to say half full. The reason I find it tricky is that I don't really think "expectations" count for much.
    In fact, the unpredictability is part of the fun.
    I reckon we might do all right even after a massive clear-out, as long as an experienced keeper and centre-back are signed.
    That would mean something like:

    GK: A.N. Other/Fisher
    DEFENCE: Nyambe/Lenihan/A.N.Other/Bell/Wharton/Carter (and one more from Grayson/Magloire/Platt/Thompson)
    MIDFIELD and WINGERS: Evans/Travis/Downing/Buckley/Rankin-Costello/Davenport/Rothwell/Chapman
    FORWARDS: Dack/Armstrong/Gallagher/Brereton/Butterworth/Vale.

    Now, I don't think for a minute that all those I've missed out will leave. I'm just saying things wouldn't look too bad if they did.
    Ideally, we'd get a new left-back as well, but I'm sceptical about the funding, and I'm hoping that Bell finally comes good!
    In particular, we do seem to have a lot of flexibility there, in midfield and up front.
    I've seen talk of us buying a Tugay type. Where the hell from - and at what cost?!
    I'd rather rely on our own youngsters. The core group of Travis, Buckley, Rankin-Costello and Davenport looks pretty decent to me, and we have to be realistic about signings.

    How would we go with that squad? No idea, although I'd again guess at about tenth. Money doesn't always talk, anyway. Look at the 50 million Stoke spent!
    If ....and it still is very much in the balance, we had no money at at all to spend and lost even 2 of Armstrong, Lenihan and Travis we would imo ...be in trouble.
    We went into this season feeling optimistic. Like some will go into this one feeling the same. Especially if you listen to what is being said.
    The stark reality is, we didn't improve. And he was given a fair bit to spend, and allowed to get a very good centre half from Man City.
    The way things are now, they will be shopping in the bargin basement section. Meaning they will be unlikely to improve.
    It's not a disaster no. Far from it.
    But TM wasn't saying at the start of this season, prepare for a disaster. He was saying we are in year 3 of a cycle that he planned. And last season was the one we where told (bull****ted) that we would push on. We didn't.
    I am clear about this, it simply wasn't a disaster. I never said it was. I just feel this is as far as his ability will take us. And it could be worth a change.
    In hindsight, with no money, it will be worth not making a change manager wise.

    I watched Norwich last season a few times in the prem. They were awful.
    In the Champ they looked better than we could ever imagine. They played us twice, looked stronger, physically better, better tactics, better side. Better football, better players. They spent nothing over the 2 seasons. Less than us.
    So I take your point about Stoke. Thats fair. But Norwich where better than we could even imagine. On a complete budget.
    If we where showing any signs of improving, I would now be renewing my season ticket. 8 thousand like me did last season.
    Its thought only 3, maybe 4 thousand will renew this season (when crowds return) and crowds of under 9k will be at Ewood net season. Believe me, I am not the only one who has lost interest. Its expensive, we are being lied to. And we aren't improving.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,160
    We cannot lose any of the key players and must at least improve to be even safe.
    Defensively we are poor and to be honest tosin was a quick fix.
    This area is one we need to desperately need to improve on.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,522
    Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    We cannot lose any of the key players and must at least improve to be even safe.
    Defensively we are poor and to be honest tosin was a quick fix.
    This area is one we need to desperately need to improve on.
    I agree. He was a quick fix. And even then, we still didnt improve. I think my comments are getting confused. I'm not suggesting that last season was a disaster. Just very disappointing. In the next few years we could look back at this side and wonder how and why they didnt improve and push on. I'll be shocked if they managed to hold on to all our best players, and strengthen.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,117
    Champs, I can't see where you've got "We are being lied to" from.
    Whatever other faults people find with Mowbray, I can't say I have ever seen a manager who is more "up-front" with the supporters.
    In fact, he has received quite a bit of stick for some of the things he has said openly.
    All managers are trying to improve things. The improvements don't always materialise, but that doesn't imply lies have been told.
    I don't even know what progress would look like for different clubs. It has taken Leeds 16 years to return to the PL! Sunderland are still stuck in the third tier. (Speaking of which, I see there's a rumour that DG might go there).
    The fact is, only three Championship clubs get promoted every year.
    Does that mean all the others have "failed"?
    To be honest, I followed Rovers (in person!) through some much lower "lows" than this! I just can't share your absolute doom and gloom.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,522
    Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs, I can't see where you've got "We are being lied to" from.
    Whatever other faults people find with Mowbray, I can't say I have ever seen a manager who is more "up-front" with the supporters.
    In fact, he has received quite a bit of stick for some of the things he has said openly.
    All managers are trying to improve things. The improvements don't always materialise, but that doesn't imply lies have been told.
    I don't even know what progress would look like for different clubs. It has taken Leeds 16 years to return to the PL! Sunderland are still stuck in the third tier. (Speaking of which, I see there's a rumour that DG might go there).
    The fact is, only three Championship clubs get promoted every year.
    Does that mean all the others have "failed"?
    To be honest, I followed Rovers (in person!) through some much lower "lows" than this! I just can't share your absolute doom and gloom.
    It's maybe a personal thing. But I do feel lied to. Maybe its my age catching up with me. Maybe I have got too cynical. This is the first time since I was 18 (I'm now 43) I will not be renewing my season ticket. I have started falling out of love with football quite a while ago now. Which makes me sad, as it was one of the last remaining things in life I actually enjoyed.

    This maybe more than what is going on with rovers, and general life than specifically Rovers.
    And that is not something I should be bringing to a football site.

    This is more because I am a lonely sad person who isn't very nice than anything else.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,117
    Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    It's maybe a personal thing. But I do feel lied to. Maybe its my age catching up with me. Maybe I have got too cynical. This is the first time since I was 18 (I'm now 43) I will not be renewing my season ticket. I have started falling out of love with football quite a while ago now. Which makes me sad, as it was one of the last remaining things in life I actually enjoyed.

    This maybe more than what is going on with rovers, and general life than specifically Rovers.
    And that is not something I should be bringing to a football site.

    This is more because I am a lonely sad person who isn't very nice than anything else.
    Jesus, Champs - that sounds a bit serious!
    I'm very sorry to hear it's a wider issue than just football.
    I have to say, I feel quite privileged to be in NZ at the moment. There are still loads of things we miss about the UK, but we just seem so protected down here. Of course, one thing is that life hes been just about normal in NZ for two months now. The only COVID cases are 23 incomers in quarantine.
    I have always loved sport - as much as a means of escape as anything else - but I find it easy to shrug off the disappointments. I suppose one reason for that is, I have never been ambitious in any aspect of my life.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,522
    Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Jesus, Champs - that sounds a bit serious!
    I'm very sorry to hear it's a wider issue than just football.
    I have to say, I feel quite privileged to be in NZ at the moment. There are still loads of things we miss about the UK, but we just seem so protected down here. Of course, one thing is that life hes been just about normal in NZ for two months now. The only COVID cases are 23 incomers in quarantine.
    I have always loved sport - as much as a means of escape as anything else - but I find it easy to shrug off the disappointments. I suppose one reason for that is, I have never been ambitious in any aspect of my life.
    This has taken a serious toll on my mental health. And it's all a real mess over here. And things will get worse.
    I'm not in a good place & unsure where to turn

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    This has taken a serious toll on my mental health. And it's all a real mess over here. And things will get worse.
    I'm not in a good place & unsure where to turn
    I wish I could advise the mental health services, but they've been useless with my nephew until recently, when he badly need their care. He has big problems with rage and can be quite scary. He's an tall imposing young man.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,117
    Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    This has taken a serious toll on my mental health. And it's all a real mess over here. And things will get worse.
    I'm not in a good place & unsure where to turn
    Champs - my daughter has extensive experience in the mental health sector.
    She says the one thing you mustn't do is NOTHING!
    As Saxo points out, the Mental Health Service can be hit-and-miss. They are always overstretched and a lot depends on the individual you first have contact with.
    Luckily, these days there are lots of non-official groups using various techniques that might help.
    My daughter had severe problems herself (bi-polar), but in the end, she took herself off the medication and switched to meditation and mindfulness.
    I'm a bit old-fashioned, so I was very sceptical, but I've had to eat my words. It has transformed her life, and - as I said - she's now helping others with similar problems as her work.
    I'm not saying the "drugs don't work"! For some people, they ARE a brilliant solution, but she felt they had dulled other aspects of her character.
    Why not think about the possibility, if you're really low?
    My wife also does two 15-minute "mindfulness" exercises every day now, and the anxiety problem she developed - out of the blue - a couple of years ago has all but disappeared.
    One thing you ought to do first, though. is get a diagnosis. Depression and anxiety are actually different conditions, very often, and you probably need professional help to identify the issue. Of course, stress is frequently behind the problem.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 30-07-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •