+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Downing.

Stewart Downing.

I can't cope with another season of Rovers playing all the game through him, as if he was Zidane or something. As far as I'm concerned if he stays, then..

Mowbray out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    I can't cope with another season of Rovers playing all the game through him, as if he was Zidane or something. As far as I'm concerned if he stays, then..

Mowbray out.
    Downing was never ever a great player. He was average. Good pro. But never a player who would improve a side overall.
    He never changed a game in in his career. He was a 6 or 7/10 kind of lad. Which is good, but not a game changer.
    In his first game I saw what I ended up seeing all season long. He gets the ball, 1, 2 3 4 5 touches.....then the ball is released. By that point all their defenders where back in place, and the attack normally broke down.
    Set pieces from such an experienced player, where poor. He slowed us down badly, he was played way too much, and sorry to say, he did not improve Rovers at all.
    Him, Bennett, Williams, Graham, Johnson, Samuel all added nothing.

And that is reason we did not improve this season. The season we where all told that we would look to try and push on. Not necessarily the play offs or promotion. But we would improve.
    Rovers never got into the top 6 at any point over the 46 game season.
    The same issues I raised vrs Charlton on the 1st day, where still evident on the final day.

And we played Danny Graham. Not Jack Vale, not anybody promising. But Danny Graham.

Hopefully Tm does leave, and I always felt Downing would join him as a coach back at 'their' club Boro.

We are not going anywhere.

[QUOTE=champs95;39539812]Downing was never ever a great player. He was average. Good pro. But never a player who would improve a side overall.
    He never changed a game in in his career. He was a 6 or 7/10 kind of lad. Which is good, but not a game changer.
    In his first game I saw what I ended up seeing all season long. He gets the ball, 1, 2 3 4 5 touches.....then the ball is released. By that point all their defenders where back in place, and the attack normally broke down.
    Set pieces from such an experienced player, where poor. He slowed us down badly, he was played way too much, and sorry to say, he did not improve Rovers at all.
    Him, Bennett, Williams, Graham, Johnson, Samuel all added nothing.

And that is reason we did not improve this season. The season we where all told that we would look to try and push on. Not necessarily the play offs or promotion. But we would improve.
    Rovers never got into the top 6 at any point over the 46 game season.
    The same issues I raised vrs Charlton on the 1st day, where still evident on the final day.

And we played Danny Graham. Not Jack Vale, not anybody promising. But Danny Graham.

Hopefully Tm does leave, and I always felt Downing would join him as a coach back at 'their' club Boro.

We are not going anywhere.[/QUOTE

Not under Mowbray its evident.

That is such a list of over-the-top generalisations, I can't see any point in trying to deal with them, one by one, as I usually do.
    Your minds are made up and the prejudices deeply embedded.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    That is such a list of over-the-top generalisations, I can't see any point in trying to deal with them, one by one, as I usually do.
    It's very frustrating AR.. TM seems to rate SD as the key to unlocking defences, but I feel his presence does the opposite.

I cannot imagine he is on a small wage.
    Admittedly out of all the deadwood I mentioned,he was the one I was most unsure about.
    Despite him slowing play down he also provides a calming influence brought through experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Sweeping statements? That I brought up on the first game. Specified exactly what was going wrong. Literally naming the players and detailing exactly what was wrong imo. And I was still detailing them on the final game. And every game in between. In detail.
    Other than the specific examples I used on day one (of which you disagreed with 100%) and I stated back then vrs Charlton. 12 months later, no further forward no improvement as I said 12 months ago and detailed exactly why, what sweeping generalisations did I adopt?
    I made a prediction. It was correct.
    You just go game by game and say things like ....wow that was a odd game ....whether we where poor decent.
    We see football completely differently. Always have always will. I back every single point I make with specific examples. You choose not to acknowledge or accept.

What I will say is this,yes you did make the above statement at the beginning of the season but along the way we all and i mean ALL got caught up with the excitement(before the restart)of a possible play off finish,you cant say this is how you predicted the season throughout because that just isn't true.
    I have seen you phill at your high points and the lowest points on the journey this season.
    I predicted 12th this season and we finish 11th,so not that far out.
    We are a average looking team on and off paper,so it was a fair finish.
    We need to clear the old guard out and push for the future.
    Should we do that with mowbray?I am feeling for the first few months at least.
    If the stagnating is still there,then change.
    By the way phill,I am not attacking you in anyway but you do tend to be a little bit like a rollercoaster.
    The season will have peaks and troughs rough with the smooth,like mowbray isn't a tactical genius one minute and god awful the next.
    Is the man to take us forward? Probably not but he at least deserves a little more time in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    What I will say is this,yes you did make the above statement at the beginning of the season but along the way we all and i mean ALL got caught up with the excitement(before the restart)of a possible play off finish,you cant say this is how you predicted the season throughout because that just isn't true.
    I have seen you phill at your high points and the lowest points on the journey this season.
    I predicted 12th this season and we finish 11th,so not that far out.
    We are a average looking team on and off paper,so it was a fair finish.
    We need to clear the old guard out and push for the future.
    Should we do that with mowbray?I am feeling for the first few months at least.
    If the stagnating is still there,then change.
    By the way phill,I am not attacking you in anyway but you do tend to be a little bit like a rollercoaster.
    The season will have peaks and troughs rough with the smooth,like mowbray isn't a tactical genius one minute and god awful the next.
    Is the man to take us forward? Probably not but he at least deserves a little more time in my eyes.
    I didnt want to that 'I told you so' idiot just felt a bit backed into a corner. Cheers for the message Lee. Of course you know me well. And I know what your saying. Yes at times I get caught up in the moment. I think we had a huge chance of getting in the play offs. We had spent enough. We had a good young side. I felt we ruined alot of that by slowing down and played Downing 38 times in a 46 game season. I saw what I felt where big issues in the first game. I saw them in the final game. We spent too long playing William's, Bennett (who I'm sorry is just ****e and cost us too many times) Downing, Samuel and Graham. I'd much rather have seen JRC, Davenport, Buckley, Chapman

Personally I saw too many mistakes from the manager. Some good decision along the way, but overall worrying mistakes.

This is maybe too technical but I spotted a huge problem last Wed. Young Carter was put into a side. While he is assured and big and good in the ball. He was badly exposed more than once for pace. Who is at fault? Mowbray. When Mulgrew plays, we drop back deeper. We play midfielders who protected his lack of pace. So he wasnt exposed. Had Mulgrew played on Wed, that is exactly what we would have done. The manager, a former CH should have known that about a young lad he has been watching in training. If the manager isn't responsible who is? Me? The young kid? The kit man? The tea lady? No....the bloke pulling a big wage to manage Blackburn Rovers.

But that specific example is a sweeping statement that isnt true. Young Carter is fine. He wasnt caught for pace. Didnt score an og. We didnt ship 3 goals to a poor side which had one shot all night. In 12 months if he isn't improving and is kept being exposed (which I'm saying now, he will be) it will all be down to luck. It will be the kids fault for being too slow.

I can see a few positives. We are now doing what I made such a sing and dance about 12 months ago. Getting rid of a bunch of old men who are at the end of their careers.

Sadly, we are still going to be stuck with Mulgrew, Bennett, Johnson & probably Downing. If he is kept on, then you know already it will be more of the same next season.

I do feel we are still badly run off and pitch. Still paying old players too much on long contracts. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but still wrong.

Thanks for understanding,we all have opinions and sometimes they differ from one another.
    I am most of the time a bit of a fence sitter,not always great but good when it comes to seeing both sides of a story.
    I will look at next season cautiously until the start of September,when we will know just how this squad will look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)