+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020/2021 Season

2020/2021 Season

So we have a start date and the lads are back at Reaseheath. Things are progressing (for now!)

How do people think we will fare next season back in league 1.

IMO I am optimistic of a comfortable mid-table finish. We have so far kept the majority of players who did so well last season and still have a fairly young team- so the proposed salary cap should not affect us too much.

My only concern at the mo is the lack of a ball winner in midfield, although I trust DA to find a solution.

I'm up for mid-table but we really do need a bit of depth in key areas. Again CH (x2?) and as TM says a midfielder with a bit of heft. Also need to hear from Adebisi.
    Then again, with more than 9 weeks to the close of window, there's loads of time to lose key players as well.
    We need to keep our 'super six', which also means contract extensions.

Last time we were promoted, I recall we sold Powell, Westwood and Murphy very quickly. I would hope that we hang onto our key players.

I imagine that we will probably sell as many in the coming year, unfortunately. We run on a shoestring and can only survive on sales as our regular support does not cover costs. With the likelihood of 'reduced' attendances for the whole of this season, we will definitely need to sell. Besides, I think clubs will come calling that will make offers neither the players or the club can refuse.

It was ever thus. We are a developing and selling club, like a lower tier Southampton. It’s a business model that has worked for us for the best part of 30 years.

We did indeed seek Powell and Westwood after promotion - Powell went very quickly at the end of the season, Westwood in the August window. We didn’t lose Luke until the end of the following season after he scored the winner in the shinywindowsleasingthepaintpot.com trophy. The problem was we didn’t have any other young players coming through to replace them. This time we have probably got half a dozen first teamers that bigger clubs might fancy, and another half dozen in the wings. That’s why it’s great the we’ve tied down Johnson, Adebisi, Finney, Lundstram, Offord and others.

41 days to go!
    Yes, I am counting!
    Feeling starved of REAL football. It's been nearly 6 months!!!

Do we know when the fixtures will be released?

Think I heard they're waiting for result of Wigan appeal, now Macc and Wednesday are settled, in case of geographical clashes, depending who's in which division. I suspect they have a model already for what they expect to be the divisional line ups.

Helps that the Championship play off is between neighbours Brentford and Fulham, of course.

Not sure we’ve heard the last of any legal action around the Wednesday points deduction, mind you.....

Interesting to see what various predictions are saying: Someone on YouTube has the Alex 15th. The first predictable 'Crewe Alex to be relegated' forecast comes on EFL Hub. The latter go one better in the predictability stakes by placing Sunderland top!!!
    Any other reports of predicted tables (and importantly, where they put the Alex)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast