+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season

I was about to add that Barnsley were one of the form teams in the Championship after Christmas. The couple of times I watched them on Sky they played attractive attacking football but were a bit dodgy at the back - sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I was about to add that Barnsley were one of the form teams in the Championship after Christmas. The couple of times I watched them on Sky they played attractive attacking football but were a bit dodgy at the back - sound familiar?
    Based on the second half of the season , 23 games we finished 12th in the Championship .

The reason for our troubles was the one win in the first 18 games caused by a huge number of young players arriving last summer and bedding them in .

The club's in a far far better place than it was 12 months ago and we are hopeful of a mid table finish .

Good Luck to Alex for the new season and I hope you lads can kick on .

Some big clubs in league one this season but it can be done because we face the same difficulties in the Championship .

Best of luck to you too, animal. A few years since you were the Yorkshire Brazil, but it’s always good to see relatively poorly financed clubs taking on the big boys (no offence) by playing attractive football rather than kick them up in the air. That’s why it was fun watching Brentford being more successful than Stoke - watch out for Wycombe next season though; extra thick shin pads, hurdling practice and reminding your young lads not to get wound up by pushing, pulling and time wasting!!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Best of luck to you too, animal. A few years since you were the Yorkshire Brazil, but it’s always good to see relatively poorly financed clubs taking on the big boys (no offence) by playing attractive football rather than kick them up in the air. That’s why it was fun watching Brentford being more successful than Stoke - watch out for Wycombe next season though; extra thick shin pads, hurdling practice and reminding your young lads not to get wound up by pushing, pulling and time wasting!!
    Oh we know all about Wycombe Aston from League One in 2018/19 .

They'll need more than that to survive in this mental league .

Thanks for your kind words , I wouldn't go as far as to say it was like watching Brazil but it weren't half a good song .

It doesn't seem that long since you lads came to Oakwell on the last day of the season needing the win to stay in the Championship and accomplished it too .

Young striker Rodney Jack gave us a torrid time that day .

Good solid mid table will do you this season I reckon , all the best with that .

I go along with lukcour in that we need that strong box to box midfielder. All too clear that Barnsley cut through our midfield with quick crisp passing. They were also a lot more mobile than we were. Difficult to know what to make of Mandron as he received little service - too big a gap between him and the rest of the team.
    Only 2 weeks left. One of those features 3 warm up games. We need those two positions (CH + CM) to fit in soon!

I have to ask if there is any intent, or is it fingers crossed for a young loanee?
    Last edited by gazan; 24-08-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

I felt sorry for Ng, Lancaster, Nolan, Pickering and Wintle. They were placed in a dreadful position by the complete failure of Ainley and Lowery throughout the whole game. Why the were not both subbed after 20 minutes is beyond me.

For me changes should be made for the next three games. Either Ng or Pickering should be moved into midfield to support Wintle. Possibly give Ainley 45 minutes to see if he can improve. Lowery is not currently 1st team material and at best a late sub.

Alternatively give priority to signing or loanee midfielder. Only then can we assess how good our CB`s are,

We need a replacement for Paul Green, and to be honest Luke Murphy is a very good upgrade option (imo).
    The Barnsley highlights are well worth watching (as per lukcour's earlier post).

I'm sure it was Finney playing and not Lowery

If I am wrong I of course apologise, but is not 8 Lowery`s squad number this season?

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    If I am wrong I of course apologise, but is not 8 Lowery`s squad number this season?
    It is, but they weren't in squad numbers for the game - STARTING XI: Richards, Ng, Sass-Davies, Nolan, Pickering, Wintle, Finney, Ainley, Powell, Kirk & Mandron. Mandron wore #9 for instance. Those in the XI who have a number from 1 - 11 wore it, but the other starters filled the gaps.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast