+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deid - legendary guitarist edition

Deid - legendary guitarist edition

Peter Green, original Fleetwood Mac guitarist. Won many a bet with folk arguing that Black Magic Woman was a Santana tune. Formidable guitarist, played Man of the World so much on the Lampie juke box must have worn it out. RIP min.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonDandy View Post
    Peter Green, original Fleetwood Mac guitarist. Won many a bet with folk arguing that Black Magic Woman was a Santana tune. Formidable guitarist, played Man of the World so much on the Lampie juke box must have worn it out. RIP min.
    Dreadful news. Head ****ed by German acid slipped into his drink, the legend says, and Fleetwood Mac, despite the efforts of the rhythm section, Kirwan and Jeremy, he was lost to us. We used to cover the Mac’s version of Little Willie John’s Need Your Love So Bad, Black Magic Woman, Oh Well (Part 1), The Green Manalishi, Man Of The World, and Albert Ross (an in-band gag) when I played with the Classics from 04-09. Songs we never tired of playing, and which were always requested by our select band of followers of Hajduk’s vintage.

When Chuck Berry died, I said that that was as big as John Lennon’s death. So is this.

Rhino Records box set of later period Proper Mannies’ Mac due out in Sept/Oct.

��

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Dreadful news. Head ****ed by German acid slipped into his drink, the legend says, and Fleetwood Mac, despite the efforts of the rhythm section, Kirwan and Jeremy, he was lost to us. We used to cover the Mac’s version of Little Willie John’s Need Your Love So Bad, Black Magic Woman, Oh Well (Part 1), The Green Manalishi, Man Of The World, and Albert Ross (an in-band gag) when I played with the Classics from 04-09. Songs we never tired of playing, and which were always requested by our select band of followers of Hajduk’s vintage.

When Chuck Berry died, I said that that was as big as John Lennon’s death. So is this.

Rhino Records box set of later period Proper Mannies’ Mac due out in Sept/Oct.

��
    There aren’t many of “Hajduk’s” vintage left but those who remain extant will shed a tear today. Although, sadly, we lost ‘Peter Green’ a long time ago
    One of the greats.
    Last edited by hajduk; 26-07-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Tautology

Looks like a tribute to our man on BBC4 tonight.

Tough on any pontificating frothing-at-the-mooth conservatives who have cancelled their TV licences, and who would never dream of tax-dodging by using any other BBC services (news and sport websites, educational resources, listen to any of the BBC radio channels etc in pursuit of principle) funded by the licence income. Your pal Rupert will have some sort of veneer-thin restrospective of Fleetwood Mac on Sky Arts or somesuch anyway, I imagine, if there’s a grubby free-market shilling to be had.

Anyway:

2130 Peter Green: Man Of The World
    2300 Fleetwood Mac - Don’t Stop (probably about the non-Proper Mannies’ Mac, unfortunately)

Vintage min - you're out of date, Murdoch doesn't own Sky TV any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Vintage min - you're out of date, Murdoch doesn't own Sky TV any more.
    Meh. One arch-capitalist media manipulator, thief of fitba and test cricket, and purveyor of online fake news and character assassination, beloved of all free marketeer ‘choice’ ‘progressive’ addicts everywhere is identical to another. I’m disappointed that Jerry hasn’t taken one for the team and offed the scrotum-faced old nazi with a vigorous stroop-pummelling.

Rules, you ask?

Anything to oblige.

Name:  532A9EB2-0529-43DE-B9B6-5533E0FC806E.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  13.8 KB

The Supernatural

The thing about Peter Green's playing was his phrasing and tone, even BB King said Green's playing gave him the cold sweats.
    If you like great guitar work listen to The Supernatural, when he was in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - phenomenal.

Wonder where Santana got his chops from? Where Fripp and Hackett got their sustain work from?

See the thing with technically gifted musicians? Their taste in music is sh1te & the songs the knock out are sh1te. Too fixated on the work involved, rather than how it sounds. Music snobbery

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    See the thing with technically gifted musicians? Their taste in music is sh1te & the songs the knock out are sh1te. Too fixated on the work involved, rather than how it sounds. Music snobbery
    That's always a possibility, and I have no interest in soulless, emotion-free fret-melting technicians beloved of nerdy geeks who talk of 'tapping techniques' ('could you gie's a tanner for a cup o tea?' is my only experience of tapping), the complexity, genius and execution of that Ab9dim13 chord in the jazz-fusion-ethnic Patagonian modal shift in the bridge, and of dull metallers shredding speed.

Peter Green, Paul Kossoff and their ilk have none of that. They are correct (ie they agree with me) that the spaces and silences are there for a purpose, and that they should remain there. So over-playing tossers like Vai, and an octave lower down, Flea, can fuuck right off.

Other opinions may be available, but mine is correct, valid and irrefutable.

Thank **** that's THAT cleared up.

Fair dos

I just think as a general rule, the greater the ability, the sh1ter the music. The guitarists in ‘Dragon Force’ play the guitar faster than anyone I’ve seen but is sounds gash. I doubt even Pacman could sit through it. To paraphrase John Lennon, ‘Bernard Sumner isn’t even the best guitarist in New Order’ but I’d rather listen to him struggle to put some chords together, than Santana’s self indulgent w@nk, every day of the week. The sound he makes is amazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast