+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Day Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    That's the difference between me and you BT, you settle for what we have (or could have) and do not look for better, hence the situation we are in with an ageing squad, which is too small, some very weak links in that squad, a Chairman who conducts things like an amataur and is seemingly unwilling to strenghten the team or prolong contracts even though we have the money.
    It is a shame that we do not have people in charge like Chelsea. How much did they pay for Kepa Arrizabalaga? Oh yes £71.6 million and now they are wanting another keeper who will cost at least £55 million and will be on £170,000 per week. Why?---because the guy they paid all that money for has let in 79 goals in 69 PL games, in spite of what he cost and what his wages are.

Whichever way you look at it, we are competing in the same league as Chelsea, Man City et al and, although you consider that we are run by amateurs, I have not seen him waste the sort of money as shown in the above example. We could also be looking at players like John Stones etc., etc. who is also an example of overpriced, overpaid and, thankfully, not at the Turf.

BT/Sub, I do not look to other teams/Clubs to asses what we should do, I look at what we have and how we conduct ourselves, we have and will never have as much as Chelsea, they have multi millions to play with, whatever they have spunked away on players is their business, I look at our own in which we have a very smaller budget, so what we lose on players bought and not played, bought but train at Middlesbro, you could say we are losing just as much as Chelsea per scale, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford would probably change places with us in a heartbeat, but I don't give a flying phuck about them, just the same as I don't give a flying phuck about your Bolt Ons, basrids, Sunderlands and all the rest, I'm Burnley through and through and always want the best for us, throwing these facts about Chelsea's lose of money and relegated teams wanting to swap with us does not change the fact about us having a small squad, an ageing squad, weak links in that squad, Chairman not backing the Manager, the seemingly shody way the Club is run in recruitment and admin, you yourself BT has said you are baffled at some of the antics that happen and are happening, you cannot change the fact if we dont strenghten and change our attitude towards things eventually our money bubble of the PL will end.

BT/Sub, I do not look to other teams/Clubs to asses what we should do, I look at what we have and how we conduct ourselves, we have and will never have as much as Chelsea, they have multi millions to play with, whatever they have spunked away on players is their business, I look at our own in which we have a very smaller budget, so what we lose on players bought and not played, bought but train at Middlesbro, you could say we are losing just as much as Chelsea per scale, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford would probably change places with us in a heartbeat, but I don't give a flying phuck about them, just the same as I don't give a flying phuck about your Bolt Ons, basrids, Sunderlands and all the rest, I'm Burnley through and through and always want the best for us, throwing these facts about Chelsea's lose of money and relegated teams wanting to swap with us does not change the fact about us having a small squad, an ageing squad, weak links in that squad, Chairman not backing the Manager, the seemingly shody way the Club is run in recruitment and admin, you yourself BT has said you are baffled at some of the antics that happen and are happening, you cannot change the fact if we dont strenghten and change our attitude towards things eventually our money bubble of the PL will end.
    alto ---I have said many times that, without outside investment, we will not remain in the PL ad infinitum because that is the nature of the beast. Neither you nor I know whether or not anyone has been interested in taking over or making any investment in the club, therefore, you have to be realistic and accept that it is what it is and none of us know exactly what the impact of recent events will have on our finances, however, we do know that it will have some impact.
    Interesting that you are only interested in what Burnley do because without looking at the wider picture how do you know what the facts are at other club? Be careful, BT will accuse you of burying your head the sand!

I do listen and watch what happens with other Clubs and take note Sub, but like I say I don't care if they over extend, leave themselves in dept, get relegated or even go out of business.

Yes I understand the well known well repeated saying's "We are fighting above our weight" and "We are a small Club" attitude, and we will never be on equal footing with the top 6.

But we are in the Money League earning more than we have ever done, yet Garlick has for the last 2/3 years been too tight with finances, and too lenient with the running of the Club, that is why IMO I see him as maybe a good businessman to have earned what he has in his prominent business ventures but very amateur in being a Chairman of a PL Club.

The impact you talk of with recent events (Covid Virus) for me is just an excuse for Garlick as he should have strenghtened earlier than February just gone, I did say over a year ago that the longer you leave rebuilding the harder it would be and more expensive, yes he has made a few signings, but too few IMO, and the way he has gone about it is again Amateurish.

So I am realistic, and to a degree accept we are more or less on the back foot most of the time in this league, but releasing the purse strings (a little more) is showing some incentive to remain in the money league and keep the monies coming in, speculate to accumulate just that little bit more is not a lot to ask is it ?

I do listen and watch what happens with other Clubs and take note Sub, but like I say I don't care if they over extend, leave themselves in dept, get relegated or even go out of business.

Yes I understand the well known well repeated saying's "We are fighting above our weight" and "We are a small Club" attitude, and we will never be on equal footing with the top 6.

But we are in the Money League earning more than we have ever done, yet Garlick has for the last 2/3 years been too tight with finances, and too lenient with the running of the Club, that is why IMO I see him as maybe a good businessman to have earned what he has in his prominent business ventures but very amateur in being a Chairman of a PL Club.

The impact you talk of with recent events (Covid Virus) for me is just an excuse for Garlick as he should have strenghtened earlier than February just gone, I did say over a year ago that the longer you leave rebuilding the harder it would be and more expensive, yes he has made a few signings, but too few IMO, and the way he has gone about it is again Amateurish.

So I am realistic, and to a degree accept we are more or less on the back foot most of the time in this league, but releasing the purse strings (a little more) is showing some incentive to remain in the money league and keep the monies coming in, speculate to accumulate just that little bit more is not a lot to ask is it ?
    alto --fair enough, however, we know only too well that, if we speculate to accumulate and it does not work out, we will be back to having a half full ground, or perhaps even less because our core support is only between 10 and 11 thousand and a lot of those are dying off! We would also then be in a position that we do not have vast amounts of money coming in either from fans or other things.

To be honest, I think that this virus will have more effect on the finances in football than any of us have considered. We can only wait and see but any drop will affect those clubs who do not have mega-rich owners.

Me and thee are old enough to know we do not exist in a bubble Alto. I admire your Burnley centric attitude, but it really is not that simple is it?
    The much maligned and vilified football agents bring into the club outside influences, promises to players with contract extensions, free transfers and percentages of sell-ons etc., etc. All to gild the lily and line their own pockets!
    We cannot define the market, we are swimming with sharks and it stands to reason Garlick is not an amateur at this malarkey.
    Yes, we have dropped a few bollox, but we have also had some tremendous dabbles in the transfer market. Pope and Tarkowski being two stand-out examples.
    Our Chairman is on record as saying we have to find and develop young players and when the time comes, sell them to inflate the dinghy or it will sink. McNeil anyone?
    To finish tenth in the EPL is admirable for a small town team, let's see what next season brings, but I will have a decent sized bet with you that we will not be relegated in season 2020/21.

Its all about the TV money with us. Not having as much fans in the ground will punish the bigger stadium clubs . About 90% of revenue is from TV money.

Quote Originally Posted by antifootball View Post
    Its all about the TV money with us. Not having as much fans in the ground will punish the bigger stadium clubs . About 90% of revenue is from TV money.
    If we speculate to accumulate and it goes wrong, not only do we lose the TV money but we lose half of our 'fans' and that is the reality. I have been on the Turf several times at league games when the attendance has been under 2000 and when we went down in 2010 it was only 3 seasons before the average gate was down by over 7500 and was under 13000.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    If we speculate to accumulate and it goes wrong, not only do we lose the TV money but we lose half of our 'fans' and that is the reality. I have been on the Turf several times at league games when the attendance has been under 2000 and when we went down in 2010 it was only 3 seasons before the average gate was down by over 7500 and was under 13000.
    I think the uncertainty for us will be purely based on how much moolah we get from the TV deals. Much of the money coming in will be from sales outside the UK, hopefully that will mean it won't be quite so bad when everyone refuses to sign up to Sky next season.

The alternative is that everyone does sign up to Sky and there's even more money in the long term, can only be a good thing for us.

I think it will hurt the bigger clubs more, especially those already in debt...but then again they can pull notes out of their asses as they please so...

Some interesting and varied views above, but imo missing the point. We are where we are because of one man, Sean Dyche, while he remains manager, we'll very likely stay in the PL and the money will continue to roll in. When he goes we'll be relegated inside two seasons, notwithstanding the business acumen or otherwise of Mr Garlick, or any outside investment however big, or players coming through the academy, or a suddenly competent recruitment team, or an experienced new manager, none of it will save us, when Sean goes, we're fecked as a PL club. And when we get on that slippery slope, who knows where it will end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)