+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20/21 Crystal Ball

20/21 Crystal Ball

Well that's done with, lets look forward

Will Cocu still be manager? I'm guessing so, IMO he's gone from 4/10 to 7/10 and rising in the midst of some difficult times

What style of play do you want to see and what do you expect to see?

Who's in the frame for a first team place and who's 'sayonara pal, it was **** while it lasted'?

Who (realistically) would you like to see in?

Cocu to stay.

Style? Not all that dissimilar to what we have now but with more of an Ajax style to it than the PSV like style of this season. We have proven we can cut teams open with rapier like moves. Trouble is we don't do it often enough. Who remembers Bird to Coldplay, deft flick on half way to Sibley who advanced to the edge of the area before putting Knight in to score. Most of the time the tempo of the ball circulation is too slow and merely allows the oppo to organise their defences. Cocu wants a possession based game. Trouble is, most of our possession is among our back 5. That is pretty much PSV. The Ajax style is, again possession based BUT they like to play in the oppo's half, preferably in and around their box and the ball circulation tempo is high. Not a million miles away from the way Citeh play.

Further I'd like more movement off the ball. Following the old adage "when not in possession, get in position". Our back 4 pass among themselves so often because our forward players are not in a position where they would have time and space to do anything so, rather than play them into trouble, the man in possession decides to go backwards again.

I'd also like to see us do what teams do to us. Press us into hurrying and making mistakes. It's exactly what both WBA and the DYS did recently. When we had the ball they were all over us like a rash. When they had it they had 3 team mates in forward positions ready and willing to take the ball in oodles of space. Pass the ball and move into a good position to get it back IN SPACE. We back off, we don't pressure and that means we make life easy, especially for the better sides. Even Birmingham put the pressure on us and forced us into mistakes. We gave them time and room. Fortunately they weren't good enough to take advantage of it.

Then, I'd like the full backs to get into positions where, when they are on the open side and play switches, having moved inside, making the pitch "smaller" they have sussed out the angle to and distance from the winger so they can a) intercept the ball or b) immediately put in a telling tackle or c) put the winger under pressure and force him to do something. Also I'd like them to cut out/stop way more crosses than they do.

Going forward I'd like to see more going down the outside and putting in a good cross.

That is what I want. I fully expect to see more of the same. Possession for possession's sake. The odd rapier like attack as described above but they will, again, be few and far between. Backing off, Standing off and little pressure on the oppo.

Players?

Keepers: Hamer has gone. I think Mitchell might follow. Roos to stay and fight for the #1 spot with the new keeper. That might frighten some of you but the keeper who ousted Carson is still in there. He lost "it" earlier this season, then Hamer had a mare and Roos was back with 2 MOTM displays and then getting a head knock after 12 minutes at Brum. Ravas to be #3, possibly out on loan with a recall clause.

RB: Wisdom 1st choice with Bogle as cover and possibly also playing a more forward role
    RCB: te Wierik with Davies, Wiz and Evans as cover
    LCB: would be great to see Clarke back permanently but any return is likely to be another loan. Failing that we have Bielik. We saw his issues with the DM role last season and I fancy him to have a run at LCD. Foz as cover.
    LB: I fancy Buchanan to get the nod. Foz as cover. Lowe on loan. Malone gone.
    RDM: Bird has made a case for keeping the role. Evans as cover
    LDM: I think we'll see Rooney there but I'd play him sparingly. His last 6 games were between 3 and 5 out of 10 performances. I can see him and Shinnie sharing the role. especially in the Sat/Tues/Sat weeks
    CM: Sibley will make that role his own. Lawro, if he's still here, can be cover as I think he'd do better there than out wide
    LM: Lawro if he's still here or Knight or maybe even JML.
    RM: Waggy, Marriott, Holmes, Whittaker
    CF: Martin, if here. Waggy and Hector-Ingram pushing each other for the shirt or,of course Jack the lad.

Ins? New keeper. Clarke? A midfield destroyer in the Seth lad mould Striker? possibly not if JHI steps up to the plate and Jack is fit and firing.

Outs? any player whose name I haven't mentioned.
    Carson
    Jozefzoon
    Bennett

We need a very good goal keeper, otherwise forget any progress. After that I'd look across the entire back 4. Wisdom has been good, so happy there, and Davies is capable, but that's not enough to build a defence around.

I think we're too easy to score against, and until that's sorted, I don't see much point in chucking money at our attacking options.

Edit - definitely keep Cocu in place, I'm fed up of us changing every year.
    Last edited by AdiSalisbury; 27-07-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Well that's done with, lets look forward

Will Cocu still be manager? I'm guessing so, IMO he's gone from 4/10 to 7/10 and rising in the midst of some difficult times

What style of play do you want to see and what do you expect to see?

Who's in the frame for a first team place and who's 'sayonara pal, it was **** while it lasted'?

Who (realistically) would you like to see in?
    Except it’s not ‘done with’ until we know if there’s a punishment and what it is.

Agree with you about Cocu...although I think he deserves 10/10 for never moaning despite all that’s been chucked our way this year.

Agree with most of what MA has said too. New keeper is essential and much may depend on which Marriott we get next season, but how much harder is it to attract the right kind of player when we don’t know for sure which ‘division’ we’ll be in or whether we’ll start next season with a ‘clean sheet’ or a penalty of between 9-21 points?

Yes stick with Cocu , hope to see play with more pace but that's not easy this squad lacks pace ,but I'm sure Cocu knows that
    Definitely new keeper with Roos number two .Right back Wisdom everyday over Bogle who has had two average seasons for me
    Centre backs hope to have Clarke back plus Bielic and De Wierk Left back we have four not one of them good enough If we buy one player get left back Robinson from Wigan best left back in the division . A winger would be a bonus and if Martin stays away I think we need a striker There's a strong possibility that Knight and Sibley may suffer a second season syndrome But a spell without to many injuries and we should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Yes stick with Cocu , hope to see play with more pace but that's not easy this squad lacks pace ,but I'm sure Cocu knows that
    Definitely new keeper with Roos number two .Right back Wisdom everyday over Bogle who has had two average seasons for me
    Centre backs hope to have Clarke back plus Bielic and De Wierk Left back we have four not one of them good enough If we buy one player get left back Robinson from Wigan best left back in the division . A winger would be a bonus and if Martin stays away I think we need a striker There's a strong possibility that Knight and Sibley may suffer a second season syndrome But a spell without to many injuries and we should be ok
    Agree with most of what you say, left back is a big problem
    To progress we need to replace Shinnie Davies Martin Lawrence Lowe Jozef Forsyth Malone and Bogel
    and a lot more pace in is needed

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    To progress we need to replace Shinnie Davies Martin Lawrence Lowe Jozef Forsyth Malone and Bogel
    As we all know we need a new ‘keeper too...that’s just the small matter of ten replacements then.

That lot won't raise much revenue, certainly not enough for replacements that would upgrade. So we sell Sibley Bird and Knight to fund replacements?? I'd suggest, financially, that we have to sell to buy, if indeed we aren't transfer embargoed shortly.

Stuck between rock and hard place I'd say....

Do we need a new #1 keeper though? I realise that will raise a smile with some of you. Roos, as he was when he ousted Carson from the starting XI was good enough. He then chose to have a bit of a disaster at Wembley. From then on, he had the crowd on his back and he got worse and, quite rightly, Hamer replaced him. Then Hamer hit a rough patch and, with 3 games to go, we had Roos back. In the first 2 I had him down as our best player. In the 3rd he lasted 12 minutes before Jutkiewicz took him out. I have confidence in the keeper that ousted Carson and in the one that replaced Hamer. IMO, he'll be fine provided the crowd doesn't get on his back. We need another keeper in of a similar standard (the I ousted Carson standard) so they can push each other all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    Eddy agree all of those can go except Shinnie (that Scottish second division player) you know the one who is full international and Captain of Aberdeen 😉😉

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)