+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Squad

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Absolutely agree. Then again we have Augustin who is that sort of striker. Not sure what Bielsa's problem is with him. I thought he was injured for most of his time at Leeds.
    Conspiracy theory is that it is another angle for negotiating the transfer fee down further...

I think we will end up with maybe 3 or 4 additions to the first team squad and they wont be any names that we predict ( if recent transfer windows are anything to go by).

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Welcome back Clive. Good to have you back.

some thoughts....FWIW

all depends on MB staying. Please make that happen.

1) a lot (21 million) rides on whether we have to buy KJA. If so then I think that might lock up a chunk of money and change the dynamics on a striker signing. However, could be offset by new investor money. Might be a little more money to sign players.

2) we are set at Keep. I'd keep Meslier as our first choice and find a cheaper option as backup. Kiko is way overpriced to be a second stringer and there are clubs very interested in him supposedly. Offload that expense.

3) would be worth breaking the bank to sign White. You'll probably have to adjust KP's wages as well.

4) need a backup for Pablo. He's getting a little old. However, I thought Shack, Povda and Strujik looked very handy. They could play at the prem level if MB wants them to.

I think our squad this season was a mid table prem team. If we had a striker we'd have more likely been top half of the table. Bamford does lots of useful things but can't score regularly. Those chance s are much fewer in the prem.

Not sure what the clubs expectations are if they get a big cash infusion. club could be a top 10 team the first year. Really don't beleive we'll be a relegation candidate if they keep MB

" I think our squad this season was a mid table Prem team". What are you basing this on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    " I think our squad this season was a mid table Prem team". What are you basing this on ?
    Have to agree with Wardy, i don't think we were good enough to survive the prem if we'd been there with this squad.

There was a good deal of panic at times in several games this season when we were overrun on the break, despite the fantastic attacking play that got us promoted.

Quite a few teams were able to soak up that constant attacking, because either we weren't 'tricky' enough to unpick their very solid defending, or we missed a hatful of chances.

So IMO there are three areas to work on to be a premier league quality team that doesn't get picked off like Norwich did: better quality defending (starting in midfield and through the defensive zone), at least one striker with a much better strike ratio to chances, and more consistent quality on the ball in the advanced attacking areas (to replace Costa/Bamford/Harrison when he's not 'on it'). This latter one was fine for the championship, but these players don't seem to have the quality to unlock very good PL level defences - as someone else pointed out, even Pablo struggled a bit at that at Swansea in the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Have to agree with Wardy, i don't think we were good enough to survive the prem if we'd been there with this squad.

There was a good deal of panic at times in several games this season when we were overrun on the break, despite the fantastic attacking play that got us promoted.

Quite a few teams were able to soak up that constant attacking, because either we weren't 'tricky' enough to unpick their very solid defending, or we missed a hatful of chances.

So IMO there are three areas to work on to be a premier league quality team that doesn't get picked off like Norwich did: better quality defending (starting in midfield and through the defensive zone), at least one striker with a much better strike ratio to chances, and more consistent quality on the ball in the advanced attacking areas (to replace Costa/Bamford/Harrison when he's not 'on it'). This latter one was fine for the championship, but these players don't seem to have the quality to unlock very good PL level defences - as someone else pointed out, even Pablo struggled a bit at that at Swansea in the PL.

hopefully we will get a promotion bounce from the confidence of going up. Striker and Ben White the priorities for me.

interesting Phil Hay piece where he was saying Costa played more defensively last season as he was adapting to what MB wanted but towards the end was showing his quality.

i really hope 3 or 4 of the youngsters make the transition too. Snacks and Struijk looked ready and 2 more from the rest of the talent would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    hopefully we will get a promotion bounce from the confidence of going up. Striker and Ben White the priorities for me.

interesting Phil Hay piece where he was saying Costa played more defensively last season as he was adapting to what MB wanted but towards the end was showing his quality.

i really hope 3 or 4 of the youngsters make the transition too. Snacks and Struijk looked ready and 2 more from the rest of the talent would be nice.
    That Snacks was tasty

That Snacks was tasty
    Yes he did dip in and out a bit at times but was very crisp on the ball.

Sorry, I just couldn't leave it. 😔

That Snacks was tasty
    his crisp passing must have distracted me.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    his crisp passing must have distracted me.
    Are you nuts?

This is all starting to get a bit cheesy now.

Bielsa signed on for 1 year. Meslier signed on for 3 years. Augustin no transfer/transfer now in hands of lawyers. Linked to so many different players. Difficult to predict what will happen. History shows that Bielsa stubbornly sticks to positions he feels need to be strengthened. He wanted Daniel James to strengthen the right wing. When that fell through he got Helda Costa. He needed a striker after Roofe left, so we got Nketiah and then Augustin. We needed centre back after Pontus left so we got White. I think the same thing might happen. If White leaves we get a replacement. If Augustin leaves we get a replacement. I think that's all the business we are going to do. That's my guess.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)