+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlton next

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I think I should have suggested a much harsher punishment eh Geoff, you accepted that last one way too easily.

But seriously Derby lads, what do you all reckon about the possible punishment now, after whats happened to Sheff Wensdy.
    It wasn't the sell and lease back they got done for but completing the sale in the 18/19 accounting year but putting the sale in the 17/18 accounts. We should be OK on that charge as, according to the club, the EFL were kept in the loop all the way, never complained, even suggested that the sale price be lowered slightly, which the club did.

With regard to the amortisation charge. I'm not so sure but, according to the club, the method dcfc uses was signed off on in the 15/16 accounts and again in the 16/17 accounts. Then, without any rule changes, without the EFL telling the club they would no longer accept the methodology, they decided it was wrong when used in the 17/18 accounts. Surely, the EFL can't go moving the goalposts and not tell anyone about it, can they? Having said that, they are the EFL so, in the best possible Stingray style.......... anything can happen in the next however long it takes for the verdict to be handed down.

and the EFL refuse to approve the latest group of owners - now where?

I think I should have suggested a much harsher punishment eh Geoff, you accepted that last one way too easily.

But seriously Derby lads, what do you all reckon about the possible punishment now, after whats happened to Sheff Wensdy.
    Just my opinion, Acido...but I think it’s taking a ludicrous amount of time to resolve. Already having a negative impact on our ability to plan for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Just my opinion, Acido...but I think it’s taking a ludicrous amount of time to resolve. Already having a negative impact on our ability to plan for next season.
    Aww tahh Anag, and yes you do always give me an honest answer mate!. Whether I like or agree with it or not eh lol. And thats why I keep posting on your teams board lol.
    Long may it continue eh lol.

Err what were you saying Mr Parkystone ?.
    We ARE playing Derby & Notts Florist in the Champship again next season.

Come on Gunt, you should be celebrating.
    I am celebrating, Acido. After the Willard game, I'll be happy to see any amount of jiggery pokery that enables up us to stay up. Not that there was any jiggery pokery as Wigan going into administration sealed their fate.

This one raises and interesting question though. Would football supporters be happy to see their team promoted, let's say by winning a play off final, if it involved back handers to the ref, betting scandals, etc? Come on, lads. Truthfully.

Truthfully - no. I am genuinely not bothered about playing in the premiership, despite the obvious life changing aspects of a huge dollop of income. Maybe I am tarnished by 2007-08 when a team hopelessly inadequately set up to play in the top flight left me with no joy for an entire season and then took 4 or 5 years to recover from the experience. I'd sooner we were competitive in the championship than flounder along at the higher level with the only ambition being to finish 17th. I'd sooner we managed a 1-0 away win at Sheffield Wednesday than get tonked 5-0 at home to Liverpool with no shots on goal and one corner. Going to football is about a grim November evening away in rainswept Barnsley fighting out a goalless draw; its not about Manchester City and a pantheon full of global superstars - you can watch that on Sky and remain a £100 better of for it.

So, whilst recognising that a couple of seasons up would allow us to buy the ground back off Mel and stabilise the club finances, from an aesthetic and footballing perspective, promotion holds no attraction.

Wouldn't want to get there by cheating Acido. But going up, yes absolutely, I want us to win things, even if it means failure in the future. The game is less entertaining for me these days to be able to be happy with general competetive football.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post

This one raises and interesting question though. Would football supporters be happy to see their team promoted, let's say by winning a play off final, if it involved back handers to the ref, betting scandals, etc? Come on, lads. Truthfully.
    Absolutely not! Truthfully.
    I think Villa actually ultimately stayed up this year as a result of a totally inept piece of refereeing against Sheffield United. Both the referee and technology failed at every level. I’m not so moral that, had we been the beneficiaries, I’d have tried to overrule that outcome...but ‘back handers to the the ref’ and ‘betting scandals’...if and when we go down that route the game is finished imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Truthfully - no. I am genuinely not bothered about playing in the premiership, despite the obvious life changing aspects of a huge dollop of income. Maybe I am tarnished by 2007-08 when a team hopelessly inadequately set up to play in the top flight left me with no joy for an entire season and then took 4 or 5 years to recover from the experience. I'd sooner we were competitive in the championship than flounder along at the higher level with the only ambition being to finish 17th. I'd sooner we managed a 1-0 away win at Sheffield Wednesday than get tonked 5-0 at home to Liverpool with no shots on goal and one corner. Going to football is about a grim November evening away in rainswept Barnsley fighting out a goalless draw; its not about Manchester City and a pantheon full of global superstars - you can watch that on Sky and remain a £100 better of for it.

So, whilst recognising that a couple of seasons up would allow us to buy the ground back off Mel and stabilise the club finances, from an aesthetic and footballing perspective, promotion holds no attraction.

I think you might have misunderstood my question, GP, or maybe I didn't I express myself properly. You wouldn't want Derby to reach the PL by cheating, due to the reasons you gave, and that's fair enough. But would you be happy to ignore underhand behaviour in any league by cheating in any division. For instance, cheating your way out of football's fourrth tier to reach the third tier. There's much less difference between those two divisions than there is between the CCC and the PL. So I mean cheating per se

I believe attitudes towards cheating in footballl are slightly more complex than some people might think. During the course of a game, we condemn opposing players for diving, time wasting, kicking the ball away (and my own favourite, a goalie clinging on to the ball when a goal is scored so as to prevent the game resuming). Yet we ignore our own players doing these things, we look the other way. So in these situations, we are hypocrites even if we claim not to condone unfair tactics.

In football generally we usually take the moral high ground and try to be more fair and objective, often for some of the reasons you gave, GP. Maybe I'm wrong but I think approving and disapproving in football is more complex than we think.

Oh, and this rainy night in Barnsley nonsense. I hate being caught in rain wherever and whenever the time and place!
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 13-08-2020 at 10:38 AM.

...or fouling someone on the halfway line because you know they'll be clean through on goal otherwise... all yellow card offences we see every game, if there was enough demand the rules and punishments could be changed.

But premeditated cheating, ie brown envelope jobs, is surely illegal under bribery, and a different line to draw?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)