+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So why did (some of) you do it?

So why did (some of) you do it?

There's a rivalry between Newcastle and Aston Villa fans going on, leading back to when we got relegated in '09 on your premises and (some of) your fans decided to take the piss with cardboards and chants and whatnot.

Any explanation for that? Not looking for an argument, just a friendly debate.

I think its called banter but you guys took it personally. I dont any of us like or dislike your club really and to be fair, I was at the ground and did not notice it till the papers plastered it all over the back pages, it was just a clever play on words probably relating to the song done by Gazza!
    I don't think its fair to sloughter 40,000 villa fans because of the actions probably of just 1 or 2 people. Was you there, was you offended, do you want an apology? Don't think your going to get one!
    Just get over it.

I was there that day. Its inevitable fans will take the piss when a club goes down. It just happened at VP thats all and would have been the same at any club.
    Some of the Newcastle fans never forgive for some reason?
    If we had gone down at the weekend the board would have been flooded with Newcastle and Albion fans doing the same. Its football and you just take it on the chin.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    There's a rivalry between Newcastle and Aston Villa fans going on, leading back to when we got relegated in '09 on your premises and (some of) your fans decided to take the piss with cardboards and chants and whatnot.

Any explanation for that? Not looking for an argument, just a friendly debate.
    Afternoon Hughie, Well to start with, the guy who printed the bedsheets, saw himself as a bit of a hero. His first effort of note was a bedsheet aimed towards David O’leary, after said manager labeled some fans ‘Fickle’. His repost was ‘David, we’re not fickle, we just don’t like you’.

He had his moment in the sun when the press were all over him. He sprayed the sheets in his garage, with the TV crews filming him. Bit sad, but there you go.

Roll on a few years, and up he pops with, SOB ON THE TYNE and the new messiah ant & dec thingy. He didn’t raise funds, or sponsor his efforts, probably robbed his Mom’s airing cupboard, he was purely seeking the limelight.

Ok, most laughed at the time, no crime committed, just a little insensitive. Tell me, H, have you ever laughed at something insensitive? How many abusive songs do Newcastle sing towards Mackems, Leeds, Smoggies, Mancs, Scousers, Brummies or Southerners? I bet there are one or two insensitive barbs amongst all that lot?

Now, many of your cohorts are carrying on a vendetta of tears and spite for 11 years. At first, I thought fair enough, maybe it was a bit insensitive. But 11 years??? As far as I know Villa have no malice or rivalry towards your club. But when people keep crying, screaming ‘injustice’, abusing us, well, we just revert to rubbing it in.

Question for you Hughie, why are you still going on about it? Why are some so whiny about it? It’s 11 bloody years.

I remember when Eduardo broke his leg and the week after Villa played Arsenal. Our fans sung "he used to have great slinky skills. Now he runs like Heather Mills,, Eduardo Eduardo"
    Yes incentive but most British humour is based on Politically incorrect incencitive comments.

When we got relegated, a bunch of blue noses, H, thats so called fans from Birmingham City fc, Walked around VP with a Coffin drapped in a claret flag with the lettets RIP on it 👀
    Now thats just wrong which ever way you look at it but we do not go on about it.
    I'm ptetty sure the fuss some of you guys are making will result in more banter, If you were to get relegated anytime soon and the crunch game was at Villa Park, Just how easy will it be to wind you lot up, its like shooting fish in a barrel. I could just see a swave if sheets adorned, No, just one massive assortment of sheets made in to one stating 'Sob on the Tyne' can't you see your just asking for it. Just get over it.... ✌

Insensitive banter usually means abuse and I’ve never been a great fan. It only leads to hurt, anger and revenge and nothing positive. In fact, the insensitive banter of decades ago includes racism and homophobia and is quite rightly illegal today.

Personally I don’t hate anyone or any team enough to be be abusive towards them. I’m a Villa fan and am just indifferent to everyone else even that lot down the road. I’m not happy that Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford got relegated for instance, just relieved it wasn’t us.

Ironically, Newcastle and Villa are similar clubs - both large, traditional with a passionate fanbase. Also with nothing particularly much to crow about for decades and both with little chance of winning anything for a good few years yet to come.

Just support your team and respect your opponents especially when you’ve beaten them!

UTV

I wasn't at that game but ironically we were on a terrible run of I think of 1 win in 13 and the 1-0 victory rounded off the season in less than emphatic style. It was purely taking the mick, made the newspaper headlines the following day and this now seems to be a festering wound.

I bear no malice to NUFC fans at all, apart from the mouthy p***k who came on here & spoke to soon . I do however think it's pathetic to see grown men cry when their team goes down, that does make me giggle.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)