+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peter Ramage - he's back

Peter Ramage - he's back

Been appointed the Assistant U23's coach.

Newcastle United have appointed former Magpies defender Peter Ramage as the club's Under-23s assistant coach.

Ramage, who came through the club's Academy system before making 69 first team appearances between 2004 and 2008, leaves his role as assistant coach at Phoenix Rising in the United States and returns to Tyneside ahead of the 2020/21 season.

Born in Whitley Bay, Ramage clocked up 336 senior outings during his playing career. After leaving Newcastle United in summer 2008, he went on to represent Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace, Birmingham City, Barnsley, Coventry City and Leyton Orient, as well as enjoying spells overseas with Kerala Blasters in India and Arizona United and Phoenix Rising in the United States.

After arriving back in his native North East, Ramage will work alongside lead development coach Chris Hogg. The 36-year-old replaces Liam Bramley, who has stepped down from his role.

Ramage said: "I'm really excited and grateful to be given the opportunity by the football club to come home and work at the Academy with the Under-23s.

Peter Ramage speaks after returning to Newcastle United as Under-23s assistant coach
    "I'm looking forward to working and learning from some incredible coaches and working with a talented group of players.

"My goal is to help give them the foundations to move into the first team and hopefully live the dream that I did in walking out at St. James' Park in front of 52,000 Geordies."

Joe Joyce, head of Newcastle United's Academy said: "We are delighted to bring Peter back to the club to support Chris Hogg in nurturing our Under-23s players.

"Peter knows the club extremely well and his experiences as a player and talent as a coach will be of great benefit to our young players as they continue to develop their game.

"On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank Liam Bramley for the hard work and commitment he has displayed during his time with Newcastle United. We wish him every success in his future coaching career."

- - -- - - - - - -

Don't know enough to comment on his coaching career so far but in some respects, fair play, he's gone off to a different country to learn things - who knows what he'll bring.

But good luck to him and, welcome home.

Nice to have a local lad who understands what the club means to us because it means just as much to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Nice to have a local lad who understands what the club means to us because it means just as much to him.
    Yes, good to see him coming home and bringing a bit of enthusiasm to the table.

I was surprised at the time when he was pushed out. He wasn't the greatest but a good squad player and always gave his best without shirking.

Kevin Ramage, American Dad fans will get that.
    Peter Ramage was always a good dependable pro. Welcome home son.
    Just in time for this s.h.i.t show to end. One way or another.

Decent and a lot worse than him since, Aaron Hughes as well who sold far too early. When you think how long Ameobi was here for and taking the píss and how much money he must’ve made from us, the mind boggles at some of the decisions made on transfers both in and out.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)