+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Millmoor the only old ground still standing?

Is Millmoor the only old ground still standing?

All the others have been redeveloped for housing and supermarkets, or have I missed one or two?

nah..swillsborough is still standing

Sorry, to clarify, the only closed old ground still standing

(Although I know it does still get used for kids football and strongman competitions).

Technically, Third Lanark’s Cathkin Park still exists but it’s just the remains of the stands and the field. Sadly the club is long gone - dissolved in 1967 according to Wiki

Technically there is probably still part of the Cobblers playing surface left at The County Ground Northampton although from Google Earth it looks like all the old football stands have gone and have been replaced by a new cricket pavilion, open seating and car parks. The County Tavern that was at the entrance to the home cop is still there.

I’m sure I read somewhere that they are the tallest floodlights of any football ground, also Millmoor was the first ground to use the full rectangular European nets as opposed to the old sloping at the back nets.

By coincidence I've just come across some old photos I took when they were knocking down the old stand.

Would Highbury count, the stands are still there just converted into flats. The pitch is the communal gardens.

The Withdean Stadium where Brighton played is still there, but maybe that doesn't count as it was only temporary and never actually theirs?

You can add Griffin Park to the list in a few hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    The Withdean Stadium where Brighton played is still there, but maybe that doesn't count as it was only temporary and never actually theirs?

You can add Griffin Park to the list in a few hours!
    West London that's going to be some expensive housing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast