+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T 48,000 illegal immigrants housed in mainly 4 star UK hotels

I've been asked where would I send them back to, wherever they come from, if its Iraq Iran Sudan Ethiopia where ever. They want a slice of our cake and our cake is only so big. Most of them are single young men who have surposidly lift their loved ones behind and travelled half way round the world. Would any of you leave Yr loved ones behind, I wouldn't. We don't know anything about these people, their morals are they willing to integrate? Have any of these got criminal records. We don't know. While I have sympathy for these people it's not up to us to fund their better life.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I didn't answer on behalf of Bill at all. Wanchai's post isn't accurate in my opinion but don't let that get in the way.

You can throw as many numbers around as you like but all you are doing is making comparisons. What you deem as robust could justifiably be soft in someone else's opinion. Do you think it's all sweetness and light in France and Germany? I speak to people regularly, in both countries. Some of the stuff I read on here is tame by comparison to some of bile they come out with..

Immigration sways a lot of votes.

What do you think the consensus is about immigration? Do you you think all the recent protests have hardened views or softened them? Not every UK citizen who has concerns about the subject is a fruitcake.

I think a large section of the population do think we're soft. I also believe a significant % of these people are most likely to change the X on their ballot papers. Should we patronise them or respectfully educate them? There's far too much blame apportioned to people who have brought up all their lives with certain beliefs and ideals. It seems we can make massive concessions for certain groups (who are just as bigoted) but for others it's zero acceptance and constant baiting.

In the last 5 years, 40/50% of people recruited in companies I've managed don't have UK passports. They are people who have come to this country to work and make a better life for themselves. Two in particular, don't have a good word for their fellow countrymen and believe a large proportion of legal/illegal immigrants are coming here to commit crime, exploit vulnerable people and abuse the system.

I'll tell them that Ragingpup knows better and I have advised them who to contact, if they need any answers to any questions.
    I actually agree with you that significant numbers of the population think we are soft and yes I also agree that this was a big sway in the election. But do you think that these concerned voters are aware that we are the only the 16th highest receiver of asylum seekers in the the EU? You are probably right also if you argued that even if they did know they may not care, and want us to send our share of AS to other countries for them to shoulder the burden for us. But I personally don't think that is fair on the people in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    So that's it then , Send all the asylum seekers back and this country can prosper again. Wow! It was as simple as that...but then who will we scapegoat then if we don't? I could guess though...
    the illegal ones roly.

Dublin III does allow us to send asylum seekers back to the first country where they can apply for asylum.

It does however depend on us sending a request to that country first and they have to agree to it.

Which of course they don't, usually citing that they have enough doctors, engineers and brain surgeons of their own so they don't need any more.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I have done and you are.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Dublin III does allow us to send asylum seekers back to the first country where they can apply for asylum.

It does however depend on us sending a request to that country first and they have to agree to it.

Which of course they don't, usually citing that they have enough doctors, engineers and brain surgeons of their own so they don't need any more.
    Ah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    I've been asked where would I send them back to, wherever they come from, if its Iraq Iran Sudan Ethiopia where ever. They want a slice of our cake and our cake is only so big. Most of them are single young men who have surposidly lift their loved ones behind and travelled half way round the world. Would any of you leave Yr loved ones behind, I wouldn't. We don't know anything about these people, their morals are they willing to integrate? Have any of these got criminal records. We don't know. While I have sympathy for these people it's not up to us to fund their better life.
    And what are you going to do if you don't know where they came from or those countries won't take them back?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Ah ok.
    As Grist hints at, Dublin is a disaster.

Dublin creates a 'hierarchy' to determine which EU country is responsible for considering a person's asylum claim.

At the risk of giving you a nosebleed/migraine, I have to tell you that Dublin is an example of what the EU does best - fudging and dodging difficult issues by creating an endlessly bureaucratic process. In practice it delays or prevents decisions on asylum claims, leaving applicants in limbo.

If you think retaining Dublin is a reason for remaining in the EU, it shows a complete lack of objectivity/ judgement on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    And what are you going to do if you don't know where they came from or those countries won't take them back?
    that's a very good reason for not letting illegal migrants in in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    that's a very good reason for not letting illegal migrants in in the first place.
    Does a person getting into the UK via a dinghy or sneaking into a HGV constitute letting them in?

Assuming that we realistically won't put up a fortress around every coast line and search every single vehicle that enters the country I think we can expect that there will continue to be a flow of people who will, in some cases, go as far as risk their lives to enter the country. So Kerr's question is a good one - where are you going to send them back to?

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast