+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Day Blues

Final Day Blues

Well our season closed with a disappointing home defeat but we’ve been there so many times before in seasons past (I shall never forget that 2-7 final day mauling by already relegated Sheffield Wednesday). Disappointing because we did not set a club record Premier League points total. Doubly disappointing because Nick Pope missed out on the Golden Glove his performances this season so richly deserved. We did not however suffer alone. Master strategist Brendan Rodgers who threw away the title while at Liverpool has managed to drag Leicester City from a nailed on Champions League spot to a place in next season’s Europa League. Sad Eddie Howe suffered relegation to the Championship despite a stirring 3-1 away win at Everton. Luck and form has deserted Bournemouth at crucial times this season but the Cherries can really have no complaints about their demise. Watford will join them in the Championship and whatever you may think about the Hornets it is a tough nay impossible task not to smirk at the antics of the Pozzo family who go through managers faster than Zsa Zsa Gabor went through husbands. Nigel Pearson will doubtless be waking fully refreshed this morning after a good night’s sleep. Well as Porky Pig used to say at the end of Looney Tunes “That’s All Folks”.

I find it rather odd how we manage to completely switch off on the final game of every season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I find it rather odd how we manage to completely switch off on the final game of every season.
    Interesting fact BT, is that the only two last games that we have won in the PL ----we have been relegated!
    Had we been awarded and scored the penalty early on yesterday it would have been a different game, however, it was not to be.
    I also think that, once we had conceded from the wonder strike and Nick's chance had gone. we lost a lot of intensity because there was nothing much to play for.
    Finishing 10th has been a good reward, particularly when you consider that quite a number of fans who post on this board were all doom and gloom and insisting that we were going down! We finished 20 points above the drop zone and I am happy with that.

nothing much to play for ?

Only about £3 million in position payments

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    nothing much to play for ?

Only about £3 million in position payments
    Just goes to prove that players do not just think about the money because they get the bonuses!

For what the players personally earn (roughly £1.8 million a year), a bonus is neither here nor there, the Club has lost around £3 Million, which in the great scheme of things at Turf Moor is par for the course when you look at the money thrown away with Wells, Gibson and the rest.

For what the players personally earn (roughly £1.8 million a year), a bonus is neither here nor there, the Club has lost around £3 Million, which in the great scheme of things at Turf Moor is par for the course when you look at the money thrown away with Wells, Gibson and the rest.
    In December if you had offered me tenth place and the prize money that came with it, I would have happily bitten your hand off Alto!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    In December if you had offered me tenth place and the prize money that came with it, I would have happily bitten your hand off Alto!
    That's the difference between me and you BT, you settle for what we have (or could have) and do not look for better, hence the situation we are in with an ageing squad, which is too small, some very weak links in that squad, a Chairman who conducts things like an amataur and is seemingly unwilling to strenghten the team or prolong contracts even though we have the money.

Sub, I was one of those that said its all 'doom and gloom' just before Christmas. I saw a lot of what was hoof ball,kicked out into the open spaces,for forwards to try to do something with it,'kick and run stuff, ' schoolboys play like that! Another thing, Pope was smashing goal kicks again in hoof ball fashion up field,as well as any ball he caught. But after the Man City game,I started to notice we played the ball around with patience at the back,and .....Pope passed or rolled out the ball at least 7 times ( or more )to a defender,which meant we were in control and attacking! The match after maybe 11 times ? So did someone have a nice word in Pope's ear?Without Barnes and Wood we were playing a little differently, not the same kick and rush football.

That's the difference between me and you BT, you settle for what we have (or could have) and do not look for better, hence the situation we are in with an ageing squad, which is too small, some very weak links in that squad, a Chairman who conducts things like an amataur and is seemingly unwilling to strenghten the team or prolong contracts even though we have the money.
    I'll bet Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford would all happily change places with us Alto?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)