+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Saint-Quentin

I've been.

Churches in the towns are similar.

That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    They're also twinned with Kaiserslautern and a town 30 miles outside Madrid so I'm guessing Rotherham is not top choice for their exchange students now, especially since the grooming scandal, French parents won't want to send their children here.
    Only in rubber dinghies

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    It didn’t happen until 1990. I’d left school a year by then.
    Im sure Rotherham was twinned with Saint Quentin before 1990 Scum. I left school in 88 and it was before then if my memory serves me.

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Im sure Rotherham was twinned with Saint Quentin before 1990 Scum. I left school in 88 and it was before then if my memory serves me.
    You could be right mate. I’m sure I read it somewhere yesterday but I can’t find it this morning.

I did see it. Bottom of the 5th paragraph in this link.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/top...ith-rotherham/

The modern concept of town twinning, conceived after the Second World War in 1947, was intended to foster friendship and understanding among different cultures and between former foes as an act of peace and reconciliation, and to encourage trade and tourism.

1990 when the two were twinned
    Apparently they were not happy with the child abuse scandal (no I wasn’t either) which saw their name when ever the Rotherham sign was used in media

Don’t take my word on any of that though

Interestingly enough most English towns are twinned with a single foreign town, most French towns have multiple twins, some are twinned with as many as ten other European towns

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    You could be right mate. I’m sure I read it somewhere yesterday but I can’t find it this morning.
    Wow I could have sworn it was earlier than that but 1990 it was pal.

St Quentin (pronounce San Kantan) is a lovely town in the Picardy region of France, a two-hour drive from Calais. They are twinned with Rotherham and others as already stated. In 2007, a running club ACPI) from St Quentin approached Rotherham council with a view to inviting over a running club in Rotherham. Maltby Running club accepted the invite and visited the town in 2008 to run in their organised event called Courir pour le Plaisir (Running for Pleasure).
    We arrived at a civic reception, the French take twinning very seriously and were fed accommodated for 3 days. I can confirm that a lot of our stereotypical thoughts of the French were vanquished that trip. They were wonderful. Since then, apart from a couple of occasions we have swapped visits with our friends. They were due to visit Maltby in June, but this bloody virus put an end to that. Hopefully, they will be with us next year.
    St Quentin is a really nice place with a beautiful park called the Parc de Isle which has a lake, Go Ape tree walk and a zoo. The town centre has a lovely square, typical of many French towns. The people are great and we have made many friends. Worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    St Quentin (pronounce San Kantan) is a lovely town in the Picardy region of France, a two-hour drive from Calais. They are twinned with Rotherham and others as already stated. In 2007, a running club ACPI) from St Quentin approached Rotherham council with a view to inviting over a running club in Rotherham. Maltby Running club accepted the invite and visited the town in 2008 to run in their organised event called Courir pour le Plaisir (Running for Pleasure).
    We arrived at a civic reception, the French take twinning very seriously and were fed accommodated for 3 days. I can confirm that a lot of our stereotypical thoughts of the French were vanquished that trip. They were wonderful. Since then, apart from a couple of occasions we have swapped visits with our friends. They were due to visit Maltby in June, but this bloody virus put an end to that. Hopefully, they will be with us next year.
    St Quentin is a really nice place with a beautiful park called the Parc de Isle which has a lake, Go Ape tree walk and a zoo. The town centre has a lovely square, typical of many French towns. The people are great and we have made many friends. Worth a visit.
    Thank you for that.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in and around Nice. Great people as you say.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast