+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Wave On The Way

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    What sort of items do you sell then Phil?
    I'm mainly an antiquarian book trader dealing in first editions both old and contemporary. I travel to most areas to buy good material, my main interest is buying books, maps, manuscripts but also other media items of rarity such as photographs and albums, diaries and archives, fashion and music memorabilia, postcards, stamp albums and so on.If it’s on paper I'm interested, most contacts give me a call. I'll travel anywhere within reason to buy good quality collections. So during lockdown most calls and contacts vanished, things are picking up a bit now but no where near pre lockdown.

I haven't been to work since mid March, but it's okay, Boris has been looking after me. Due to go back on the 10th. I'm very wary of doing so. I'm going to pop into work on Wednesday and see if they are happy with me returning.
    I will practice sneezing and coughing at will on Tuesday

So, there has been a spike in cases over the last 3 weeks or so. Any coincidence or correlation to the July 4th decision to reopen, ‘Places of Worship’?

The areas being put back in lockdown have a significant number of people who frequent places of mass worship. If a person’s God is with them 24/7, why is there a need to congregate, at a certain time of the week/day, in front of some bloke/woman, claiming to be their God’s spokesperson?

Also, social distancing in a popular pub at the weekends is impossible, especially after a few sherberts have been downed. House parties are very popular over here (the non food pubs don’t reopen until Aug 10), utter madness. COVID is an anti-social virus, it thrives in social gatherings!

Are we really surprised?

There won’t be a 2nd national lockdown, money talks. Hence the Capital is staying open, despite the ‘Flash Raves’, riots and pro/anti BLM protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledvillan View Post
    So, there has been a spike in cases over the last 3 weeks or so. Any coincidence or correlation to the July 4th decision to reopen, ‘Places of Worship’?

The areas being put back in lockdown have a significant number of people who frequent places of mass worship. If a person’s God is with them 24/7, why is there a need to congregate, at a certain time of the week/day, in front of some bloke/woman, claiming to be their God’s spokesperson?

Also, social distancing in a popular pub at the weekends is impossible, especially after a few sherberts have been downed. House parties are very popular over here (the non food pubs don’t reopen until Aug 10), utter madness. COVID is an anti-social virus, it thrives in social gatherings!

Are we really surprised?

There won’t be a 2nd national lockdown, money talks. Hence the Capital is staying open, despite the ‘Flash Raves’, riots and pro/anti BLM protests.

Very true Exiled! All gatherings should be banned with huge fines! On the news last night some were angry as it was affecting Eid - WTF!!! All places of worship of any religion should be closed - is it necessary? Does it contribute to the economy? The whole thing is a complete joke!

I went into M & S yesterday with a mask and there were about eight young employees packing shelves without masks. Can’t they get Corona? Do they have magic powers that they can’t pass the virus on? Thought it was such a joke I pulled my mask off as couldn’t breathe.

Some pubs are not even bothering to take names and people can stand up. This was always going to happen so why don’t they restrict drinking to beer gardens only! No beer garden then tough!

I honestly think the restriction of travel to places like Spain is bollox! There are fewer cases in Spain for example - it’s safer - more people abide by the rules. It’s a strategy to keep U.K. people to stay at home and boost the economy.

Well, as we all know opinions vary, and should of course be allowed to do so, and I have earlier expressed my thoughts about this. I am very anti-lockdown and anti similar measures since I believe they create more misery, death and bad health than the virus itself (there is a 63 % higher risk of mortality when unemployed for instance).

These measures do not only create bad health, they also limit human rights and freedom in a very dangerous way (look at how certain leaders play their cards during the pandemic, Orban in Hungary eg). These are rights that generations before us have fought and died for!

Of course there will be a rise in the number of infected and so on when you open up after a lockdown - you see that in many countries now. And then you impose a new, maybe partial, lockdown, and then open up, and then numbers will rise... It’s a vicious circle you don’t want to be in.

Remember - the vast majority of people who catch the virus won’t even notice it. 84% of all 90 years old and older who get it, survive etc, etc.

The real pandemic, imo, is the panic, the doomsday preachers and the whole ”Coronaphobia”. Media sadly play an important role here.

Sweden, as the UK, have been hit pretty hard therefore I think one can make some comparisons. Even though Sweden have been hit hard by Corona, some 5700 have died, more people in total have NOT died the first six months than other years. Is it the same in the UK?

And of course, every death is a tragedy and should try to be avoided - but, death is also a part of life, and how many of the dead have died (directly) from Corona, and how many have died with Corona (and could/would have died from a cold, seasonal flu, gastric flu, heat wave etc)?

To prevent casualties you should have good and well-operating NHS and care homes for the elderly (good working conditions, good capacity, good stock of medicines and PPE, well trained staff etc).

Friends in Cornwall I met have to leave their homes and move elsewhere due to Corona measures (no tourists), and Cornwall have hardly had any Corona cases... (they do not belong to the ”the selfish generation”, whatever that is, and me neither btw).

That a major change in our lives is required due to this, Nature fighting back etc, that’s doomsday preaching in my book. Pandemics with far worse consequences have been around in modern times.

Take care everyone out there, and here is one hoping for return to ”normal” asap.

Oh its a pandemic, lets have fun!.......I will NEVER understand that mentality. Why would anyone even entertain going abroad? It seems we now have a "My pleasure at all costs" mentality. Totally selfish.

I’ve changed my opinion on Covid.

The numbers of people dying from it are minuscule........a large number of these people would’ve died last winter if there had been a normal flu epidemic.

I think this should come down to simple common sense from now on.

Back in February I went to the Albion v Newcastle FA Cup tie with much trepidation because I felt I was ahead of the curve on Covid and I stood in the old Woodman Corner area rather than sit next to anyone.

I covered my face when I walked on the concourse.

Personal responsibility.

If you’re suffering from asthma or other illnesses then take all the precautions you feel you need to.

If your healthy then live life as you wish to whilst taking on board issues anyone close to you has such as in your family BaggieAl.

It’s impossible to live like this over a long period.

5 million unemployed will see a shift in government attitude towards this.

I see that only around 2% of Civil Servants have returned to their offices and less than 10% are back at HMRC.

Good to be a bit of good old fashioned backbone in our Public Servants.

As usual it’s the white van man ( excluding Chris😆 ) and the lower paid level of our workers who are taking the strain.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve changed my opinion on Covid.

The numbers of people dying from it are minuscule........a large number of these people would’ve died last winter if there had been a normal flu epidemic.

I think this should come down to simple common sense from now on.

Back in February I went to the Albion v Newcastle FA Cup tie with much trepidation because I felt I was ahead of the curve on Covid and I stood in the old Woodman Corner area rather than sit next to anyone.

I covered my face when I walked on the concourse.

Personal responsibility.

If you’re suffering from asthma or other illnesses then take all the precautions you feel you need to.

If your healthy then live life as you wish to whilst taking on board issues anyone close to you has such as in your family BaggieAl.

It’s impossible to live like this over a long period.

5 million unemployed will see a shift in government attitude towards this.

I see that only around 2% of Civil Servants have returned to their offices and less than 10% are back at HMRC.

Good to be a bit of good old fashioned backbone in our Public Servants.

As usual it’s the white van man ( excluding Chris😆 ) and the lower paid level of our workers who are taking the strain.
    Bang on Mick!

17 000 people protesting against Corona restrictions in Berlin, about time. When will everyone wake up?
    Last edited by SwedishBaggie; 01-08-2020 at 07:09 PM.

This non conservative government has let it be known it is prepared to react suddenly just for a small uptick in Covid-19 infection rates. It doesn't seem to have the slightest concern about the ever more dramatic unemployment numbers which i'm fairly sure will be through the roof by Christmas.

Just to be clear about SARS-Covid2......I'm really not that concerned who gets it or who doesn't get it.. Life is life and most live it in a way that suits them. Weather you thing C-19 is fake news or not, doesn't in the slightest concern me or bother me...and I tell people that daily.

But some things are fact.....hospitals across the globe are reaching breaking point due to the nature of this virus, compared to most previous years.....Hospitals across the globe were shown up to be woefully inadequately prepared for this little virus. Many countries almost ran out of basic ventilator parts, such was the increase in demand.
    Take Texas for an example...many of the counties in that state are at of near capacity in terms of ICU beds...unprecedented. India, Iran Brazil Mexico,Italy France Spain...the list is endless. Now these are people who need treatment in an ICU environment. The only reason why it has eased off...is because people had the shyte scared out of them over this little virus....

As for now?
    Well...people have had enough.
    Fine by me.

And incidentally, I don't think the virus gives a flying Fcuk that people are fed up...It's a virus..it doesn't think.
    The lockdown was always about buying time to get prepared and not get stuffed and over run at the start.
    Be under no illusions......ICU capacity came close to topping out...were it not for the slowing down of the transmission in the community. That could only have been achieved by the draconian measures taken the world over.....but the world wants to move on....fine by me....but I can tell you there are many hospital staff who will not hang around if and when this starts kicking off again...

Here in Ireland they median age of infection is now below 40 and falling...so younger people...I now know of at least two mid 20 years old who are currently close to ventilator treatment. Both are healthy enough...but both have asthma...No anybody with asthma?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)