+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Second Wave On The Way

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    There's so much of this down to opinion formed on spurious "facts" - how many deaths in Wuhan, how countries around the world recorded their deaths then altered that in order to come out of lockdown, WHO changing their tune on face coverings, the list goes on and as we have seen you can only expect folk to follow the rules for so long before something else starts to dominate the agenda.

I expect the virus will continue to spread as a direct result of societal behaviour but now there is greater access to testing (accuracy however is questionable - my brother-in-law had 3 negatives and was really poorly at home but has since had a positive antibody test result) and antibody testing we will start to get a better idea of the true scale of the risk.
    WCV....a mistake commonly made by many (brought on by the death lists been published) is believing that this is just about the death rate. It isn't...its about the rate of admissions in a very tight time frame, in to the hospital ICU systems...that can not cope....
    Lockdowns have only stemmed the tide a little...which is all they were meant to do.
    Science is notorious for wanting more facts and then more facts and then more facts before coming to a consensus...This is s novel Virus.....so they are adapting to new scientific evidence that gets peer reviewed.....but this is fast moving.....

Albert Einstein made some remarkable discoveries...all the more remarkable considering HE THOUGHT THE UNIVERSE WAS STATIC!!
    Years later Edwin Hubble (yes of Hubble telescope fame) brought him evidence to prove he was in error.....nearly two decades later....
    So don't expect science to have the answers immediately...that sadly is not how science works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Quite and sadly true - obesity is really a major health issue in the western world.
    It is SB - a good looking bird though with a bit of meat on them is far better than one who looks like stick and bones. If you shagged Kate Moss you would probably come through the other side but in Football terms - with Gabby Logan you would have something to hold on to and have a memorable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    WCV....a mistake commonly made by many (brought on by the death lists been published) is believing that this is just about the death rate. It isn't...its about the rate of admissions in a very tight time frame, in to the hospital ICU systems...that can not cope....
    Lockdowns have only stemmed the tide a little...which is all they were meant to do.
    Science is notorious for wanting more facts and then more facts and then more facts before coming to a consensus...This is s novel Virus.....so they are adapting to new scientific evidence that gets peer reviewed.....but this is fast moving.....

Albert Einstein made some remarkable discoveries...all the more remarkable considering HE THOUGHT THE UNIVERSE WAS STATIC!!
    Years later Edwin Hubble (yes of Hubble telescope fame) brought him evidence to prove he was in error.....nearly two decades later....
    So don't expect science to have the answers immediately...that sadly is not how science works!!!
    Dubs......

My theory for the last three months is that if there’s no vaccine on the horizon then maybe the only answer is for countries to massively ramp up their health provision.

Economic cost to the economy is going to outweigh public health the world over in my opinion.

If I was running the country now I would be putting huge money into recruitment and training of nurses and doctors and building of new and specific respiratory centres.

I think there’s going to be no other choice because we can’t live in this way year after year as there’s going to be no economy to support anything.

Is there an argument of value in what I say?

Do we build capacity to cope with the infection rate to allow life to resume what we used to class as “normal” in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Dubs......

My theory for the last three months is that if there’s no vaccine on the horizon then maybe the only answer is for countries to massively ramp up their health provision.

Economic cost to the economy is going to outweigh public health the world over in my opinion.

If I was running the country now I would be putting huge money into recruitment and training of nurses and doctors and building of new and specific respiratory centres.

I think there’s going to be no other choice because we can’t live in this way year after year as there’s going to be no economy to support anything.

Do we build capacity to cope with the infection rate to allow life to resume what we used to class as “normal” in your opinion?
    That is exactly what I have been advocating from the very start.

However, the theory that lockdowns were necessary to buy time must also be scrutinized, since lockdowns create so much bad health.

And we (Sweden) have been hit hard and have not had a complete lockdown, and our NHS have never ever been close to collapsing - and, that can not been down to Sweden being so unique with an unparalled high capacity NHS, because that is simply not true.
    Last edited by SwedishBaggie; 03-08-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Dubs......

Well while I am no expert on infection diseases....I can only pass on what seems to be the thinking from a hospital stand point. Everything that is being done presently, is just to stall a massive over load in the system till some kind of vaccine can be brought on stream.But that may still be away in the future, so in the mean time...preventative action is the only defense against this very transmittable disease. Not sure about UK but here...thee has been a big drive over the last decade of more to get people into private health. Public health has been under invested and has been shown up all across the globe.

As with cancer...the best action to prevent or reduce ones chances of getting it...is mainly preventative action...Example... don't smoke, reduce alcohol consumption, have a balanced diet...exercise.
    So to with SARS-Cov2 until a vaccine is produced...and then there is a swell of opinion against taking vaccines....see that every year with the flu shots......all of which is grand for the virus.....

On the wider front of economics...change has to come about and fast as the world is not sustainable at the current burn through rate....there are a lot of global conditions coming to a head and not way of in the future but very soon. I don't think this is a next generation problem...it is a now generation problem. Global society is at tipping point and the fact that SAGE are talking about social breakdown.....is not to be taken lightly. All of this is happening within 10 years of a financial meltdown that wa suppose to be a once in a life time event...and barely 10 years later...and the financial situation is far far worse....
    Many backs are up against the wall now...
    There is a much much bigger picture being played out Mick......dots have to be joined up quickly or humanity will not be the better for it...

Load of bollux, a way of controlling the masses now that religion doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Load of bollux, a way of controlling the masses now that religion doesn't work.
    Is this a wind up post?
    Say this to my wife, brother in law and cousin one a nurse and two doctors.
    Makes me so angry !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Is this a wind up post?
    Say this to my wife, brother in law and cousin one a nurse and two doctors.
    Makes me so angry !!!!
    wbaliq, do you seriously believe this Government really cares about your health? The diktats emanating from Downing Street are now bordering on lunacy. Swathes of towns are put back in lockdown cus of an uptick of 14 new cases. They actually 'war gamed' in putting over 50s in quarantine, for what reason? if it's not to control ya.

Masks were said NOT to work now they are imposed on those visiting shops and NO proper scientific analysis as shown for them too work. As if a piece of soggy, sweaty piece of rag around your gob can stop a micro virus. This Government is softening you up to accept face nappies for even being outdoors soon and for working in an office. If one keeps accepting this bl0ody madness there where will be no end to it.

I don’t like wearing a mask but I am complying with the regulations, with my WBA mask! I do not understand some people, though, who I see driving, alone in their car, with a mask on! I have seen people in their gardens, at least 100 yards from the road, with a mask on. Most odd.

Given that I've read pubs may need to close for schools to re open, does this mean all the teachers are p issed up down the pub? If so it sounds as though nothing much has changed since I was at school.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)