+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dane sez

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    ....and yet we still needed six points from last two games to survive.
    We would have been in the top half of the league easily when you look at the points gained in the 20 odd games Struber was here I believe.
    Always playing catch-up though after the beginning we had

Quote Originally Posted by Olias1 View Post
    Aye and we were decent enough to gerrem
    And still finished in the bottom 3 on the field .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    We would have been in the top half of the league easily when you look at the points gained in the 20 odd games Struber was here I believe.
    Always playing catch-up though after the beginning we had
    Struber had the benefit of--

-players having had nearly half a season's experience in the Championship
    -being allowed to bring in three of his own players
    - the lockdarn break--most fans agreed we looked done after the Cardiff home defeat just before the break
    - the collapse of Hull post January after selling players
    -Wigan's new owner putting the club into administration

Decent write up. However, it's obvious that we need strengthening. The team itself gained in ability and confidence as the season went on. Those last 3 performances were as good as owt av seen in recent years. I'm optimistic but also at the same time I'm realistic enough not to get carried away about it. To continue in the same vein is a big ask, especially if we don't bring in some more quality to the squad. If we sell the crown jewels then forget it.

The lads have proven that they have the heart and fight, the board need to add to the squad now in a shrewd way (quality over quantity) and not with profit at the forefront of their minds. I have very little faith that it'll happen though, it guz wi art sayin that I hope I'm totally wrong.

I agree with ESR. Under Struber we've looked a mid table side but let's face it, after the top ten there isn't much in it. Mid table is achievable if we do the right things that are in the best interests of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Decent write up. However, it's obvious that we need strengthening. The team itself gained in ability and confidence as the season went on. Those last 3 performances were as good as owt av seen in recent years. I'm optimistic but also at the same time I'm realistic enough not to get carried away about it. To continue in the same vein is a big ask, especially if we don't bring in some more quality to the squad. If we sell the crown jewels then forget it.

The lads have proven that they have the heart and fight, the board need to add to the squad now in a shrewd way (quality over quantity) and not with profit at the forefront of their minds. I have very little faith that it'll happen though, it guz wi art sayin that I hope I'm totally wrong.

I agree with ESR. Under Struber we've looked a mid table side but let's face it, after the top ten there isn't much in it. Mid table is achievable if we do the right things that are in the best interests of the team.
    How many times in the last four or five seasons have we had solid foundations in place only to self inflict and pull the rug from under our own feet .

I take no pleasure in being Mr Negative I really don't .

However I'm guided by history and history tends support my take on things .

I'm hopeful for progression , I'm far from convinced it will happen because there are different ambitions for the club that come from the ownership and collide with my idea of ambition and many other fans too it seems .

The day Billy Beane fecks off to start his new project with his new partners will be a good day for this club , announced this week by the way .

I'm hopeful he will relinquish his stake here and go and feck some other club over playing his fantasy football .

How many baseball games did you win in late September and October Billy at the Oakland A's ? .

He seems to go remarkably quiet when he's asked that question .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    How many times in the last four or five seasons have we had solid foundations in place only to self inflict and pull the rug from under our own feet .

I take no pleasure in being Mr Negative I really don't .

However I'm guided by history and history tends support my take on things .

I'm hopeful for progression , I'm far from convinced it will happen because there are different ambitions for the club that come from the ownership and collide with my idea of ambition and many other fans too it seems .

The day Billy Beane fecks off to start his new project with his new partners will be a good day for this club , announced this week by the way .

I'm hopeful he will relinquish his stake here and go and feck some other club over playing his fantasy football .

How many baseball games did you win in late September and October Billy at the Oakland A's ? .

He seems to go remarkably quiet when he's asked that question .
    Blind optimism on my part hoping things will change but I also stated that i had very little faith that change will happen. As you've said we can only go on past history as our narrative. In reality it's an odds on certainty that our fans will gu into next season p1ssed off after losing our key players and being fed a load o corporate bullshyte

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Struber had the benefit of--

-players having had nearly half a season's experience in the Championship
    -being allowed to bring in three of his own players
    - the lockdarn break--most fans agreed we looked done after the Cardiff home defeat just before the break
    - the collapse of Hull post January after selling players
    -Wigan's new owner putting the club into administration

I’m not saying he didn’t SB I was replying to the message we didn’t look like a championship side but the stats say we did and we played well the second half of the season as a whole.

All clubs had the benefits of a transfer window, the covid break, the collapse of Hull and Wigan going into Admin which didn’t seem to affect their form much.

Struber will be gone before next season and we’ll sell a couple of our best players most probably. It’s what we always do and it becomes tedious no doubt about it

Just to finish mi chuntering on this-

a wo trying to mek the point that a dunt want Dane thinking we are a top Championship club and therefore little or no strengthening is required. Plus, on the second part of the season-
    - Struber was able to shore up the defence with Solbauer and Ludewig
    -the covid break was important to us-we looked down before it and the youngsters seemed to benefit not playing in front of crowds and had the energy to recover quickly in a crowded fixture list being early twenties in age
    - Hull and Wigan were more important to us than most clubs because they filled two relegation spots below us (hopefully, pending appeal )

(Struber has shortened to 11/10 favourite for the Watford job with Paddy Power)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12