+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newcastle Takeover Off

Newcastle Takeover Off

Any chance Lai has convinced them to buy us instead ? 😀

After careful consideration of the situation I have come to the only conclusion possible: NO

Newcastle fans have been saying for weeks that this would happen.

I think with a lot of takeovers some sort of deposit has to be placed by the prospective buyer to show their intent and that they aren’t time wasters.

I’m sure BB will be more able to advise on this but as usual if it involves Ashley there’s usually an unpalatable stink about things.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Newcastle fans have been saying for weeks that this would happen.

I think with a lot of takeovers some sort of deposit has to be placed by the prospective buyer to show their intent and that they aren’t time wasters.

I’m sure BB will be more able to advise on this but as usual if it involves Ashley there’s usually an unpalatable stink about things.
    Usually you have to show proof of funds only, and that gets rid of time wasters. Those with proof of funds get access to the books and from then they either pay the asking prices or negotiate.

Think it has more to do with the premier league than Ashley this time

Something to do with the Saudis having something to do with pirate broadcasts of premier league games

I can’t believe some football supporters do not give a sh*t about who owns their club as long as they invest big time. I’d rather stay as we are than have Saudi’s funding us.

Seems the problem was that the EPL could not establish who funding would come from, and who would appoint the board. Even the premier leagues fit and proper test needs to know who owns the club.

You really have to doubt if the Saudis really wanted to get the deal done. Money certainly was not an object and as with Ashley himself when he bought the club, with Man City and others, if really rich people want something they just buy it and then let the press know, not negotiate with the press all over the deal.

Ashley also negotiated a clause that he would get a guaranteed £17 million if the deal didn’t go through don’t forget.

The reality as often is with Ashley, it isn’t always his fault and good businessman (and total prat) that he is, he at least knows business and how to make the most out of many situations.

Also the PL big clubs are protecting their own situation To remain the top 6. Would they really want another Man City type Club based in the North East. Don’t think so, they will do whatever it takes to stop anyone else sharing their gravy train if they possibly can. Money is what it is about as it always is in the PL.

The sooner they all form a European league the better, but another Covid 19 fatality I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post

Also the PL big clubs are protecting their own situation To remain the top 6. Would they really want another Man City type Club based in the North East. Don’t think so, they will do whatever it takes to stop anyone else sharing their gravy train if they possibly can. Money is what it is about as it always is in the PL.

The sooner they all form a European league the better, but another Covid 19 fatality I fear.
    Apparently Liverpool and Spurs made a lot of noise about this takeover behind the scenes with the Premier League. As you say, why would they want another one joining the club especially Spurs who's cost it is likely to be at? Agree that the sooner they all *%$* off and join a super league and play each other 4 times a year the better.

I think there are a few issues here. I lived in the Gulf for many years and only returned recently. The football rights issue is linked to a rogue Saudi broadcaster showing football in Saudi under the name BEOUTQ without having the rights. The football rights in the Gulf are owned by BEIN Sports a Qatar based company. Remember Keys and Gray - they present on BEIN Sports in a style very similar to Sky Soorts. Saudi and Qatar have had a diplomatic dispute for three years with Qatar a completely isolated country in the Gulf. Secondly there is the issue of sportswashing and the Saudis supposedly using sports to change the image of the country. So this deal was always controversial.... but there is no doubt the Saudis have the money...PIF is the largest Sovereign Wealth Fund in the world.

Regardless of the outcome here, I think you are going to see a lot more Saudi sponsorship of sport around the world. However I do know one thing with the Saudis - they don’t like being messed around and they hate bad publicity. So I would be surprised if this deal comes back on the table.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)