+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Season, New Beginning

Fuchs is 100% much better playing in a two than a three

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    All fine & well saying that, but if we dont play a 442 formation then it's irrelevant.

For me, upgrades required on Robson, Smith, Reynolds, Harkes, Butcher, Pawlett, Clark and if we continue to play this system I might as well add Shankland & McNulty to that because they've been hopeless this season.
    So basically the whole team then?

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    Fuchs is 100% much better playing in a two than a three
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    I had hoped you'd sense the sarcasm in my post, but anyway...

Ross County away 2-0 victory - Butcher and Fuchs played holding midfield roles with Sporle, Pawlett and McNulty playing in front of them. Butcher and Fuchs focused on winning the ball back and playing it to guys like Sporle and Pawlett who can run with the ball and create things (not too often, but sometimes).

Killie at home just before Xmas. 2-0 victory. Butcher and Fuchs played with McMullan and Bolton either side of them. Shanks and McNulty up top. Wingers.

Livi home 3-0 victory. Fuchs and Butcher played with Pawlett and Sporle either side of them and Louis up front with Shanks, we were 1-0 up within the first minute and it was one of our best performances of the season.

There are a couple of examples.
    That's fair doos actually. If only we'd seen more of that this season but having the three strikers crowbarred into the team has disrupted it far too often. I like Clark and he's our top scorer BUT we play far better when he's not in the side as a midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    So basically the whole team then?
    More or less aye. This season has been absolutely brutal. If we're going to continue playing the formations we're playing, I'd start with the full backs as they are being relied on to supply the width and create chances which neither of them do. A creative midfielder is an absolute must as well but I've been saying this for about 5 years. Then I'd look to find a striker who can play in this team as none of ours are able to. Someone like Dykes or Safranko.

I had hoped you'd sense the sarcasm in my post, but anyway...

Ross County away 2-0 victory - Butcher and Fuchs played holding midfield roles with Sporle, Pawlett and McNulty playing in front of them. Butcher and Fuchs focused on winning the ball back and playing it to guys like Sporle and Pawlett who can run with the ball and create things (not too often, but sometimes).

Killie at home just before Xmas. 2-0 victory. Butcher and Fuchs played with McMullan and Bolton either side of them. Shanks and McNulty up top. Wingers.

Livi home 3-0 victory. Fuchs and Butcher played with Pawlett and Sporle either side of them and Louis up front with Shanks, we were 1-0 up within the first minute and it was one of our best performances of the season.

There are a couple of examples.

Cheers for that Bud. That's us sorted then??!? No more signings needed. We DO have wingers then👍

I hope you sensed the sarcasm in that post👍

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Cheers for that Bud. That's us sorted then??!? No more signings needed. We DO have wingers then👍

I hope you sensed the sarcasm in that post👍
    So confused 🤣 we dont have consistent wingers. But in the few times we have played natural 'attacking players' around or beside Fuchs and Butcher, they have done well. That was the arguement here. It was nothing to do with wingers. You asked what evidence we had that showed Fuchs and Butcher work well in a 442. I gave you it.

So confused 🤣 we dont have consistent wingers. But in the few times we have played natural 'attacking players' around or beside Fuchs and Butcher, they have done well. That was the arguement here. It was nothing to do with wingers. You asked what evidence we had that showed Fuchs and Butcher work well in a 442. I gave you it.

So 3 games👍 Perfect.

If Fuchs had a decent partner in midfield I'd hope they'd be a wee bit better than those numbers. I'm sorry but Butcher's obvious lack of footballing ability has stunted us going forward. A midfield general has to be able to play a bit too and not just kick anything that moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    So 3 games👍 Perfect.

If Fuchs had a decent partner in midfield I'd hope they'd be a wee bit better than those numbers. I'm sorry but Butcher's obvious lack of footballing ability has stunted us going forward. A midfield general has to be able to play a bit too and not just kick anything that moves.
    I’d like to see Butcher step back into a central defence pairing with Edwards, leaving an opportunity for the gaffer to bring in a midfielder with a bit more flair.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    I’d like to see Butcher step back into a central defence pairing with Edwards, leaving an opportunity for the gaffer to bring in a midfielder with a bit more flair.
    Had forgotten about that ahltan, Butcher as a centre half. Maybe worth pursuing?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)