+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second signing

Second signing

OS just now - another striker!

" The Reds add another striker to their ranks for the 2020/21 season

Crewe Alexandra are delighted to announce their second summer signing, Mikael Mandron.

The 25-year-old has joined the Railwaymen on a free transfer from fellow League One side, Gillingham following the expiry of his contract this summer.

With over 100 appearances already, the French born comes with a wealth of experience having started his trade in the Premier League, with Sunderland at the time. "

5 in 23 last season, 12 in 85 for Colchester in the previous two seasons, so not prolific - a backup?

Personally, I think the search has started for the long-term replacement for Port's. He's what... 37 this year? No matter how well he watches his diet and looks after his body, it's going to be tough for him to play in every game this season. Remember, Bowery was hardly prolific until DA and his staff got a hold of him (I know he wasn't a 30 goal a season striker, but he was our top scorer at least once, if not twice). Regardless of your opinion of Bowery, his time at Crewe made him a far more accomplished goal scorer. Maybe Dave sees something similar in Mandron. In addition, despite his relatively young age, Mandron's had experience at League 1 and higher in his time. That's going to be handy too.

Now just to get a good, experienced midfielder in (who can offer some leadership in the middle of the park), and a really good right back, so Perry can play centre half. Imagine having someone with his ability on the ball playing at centre back!!!
    Last edited by Armchair General; 01-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.

That's a thought! Or a right back and a centre half if we can afford both. No Nottingham or Hunt now, so apart from Perry we have Nolan, Lancashire, Offord, and Sass-Davies - who has virtually no first team experience. As things stand I imagine our first pairing today would be Nolan and Offord.

I take it he is a Porter stand-by. But we now have three recognised strikers so what will Zanzala be used for?
    However, also good to have plenty of players to choose from. What we really need now are a CH and a commanding midfielder. AND some contract extensions.

I think the Armchair General has got his priorities slightly wrong. Top of the list must surely be a big CB in the mould of Nottingham. Whilst I agree that Perry would be an attractive ball playing CB we do, I think, need one who can win every header in the box and neither Nolan nor Offord is that player.

I wouldn’t be surprised if any midfield signings were loanees as we are well catered for there in terms of numbers, and I firmly believe that Wintle has the ability and nous to provide the leadership required. He certainly did last season lest we forget that Green barely started after Christmas and Jonah was hardly that.

Another idea ! JOhnson at RB Adebisi at LB and Pickering and NG in midfield?

No, got to be a new CH. Cannot guarantee that Ng and/or Pickering (or Wintle or Kirk) will still be here by the end of the window. We do have back-up at full-backs and there would be loans if Perry and/or Harry go. Same in midfield (unless Wintle goes)

Commanding CH a must.

5 potential CHs:

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/spor...radar-18705483

For me, if there was any chance, first choice is Sam Hughes (he's got goals) or second. the Peterborough guy (can play).
    A certain Mr Ray is a no-no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast