+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Notts CCC and The Bob Willis Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Nash averages 38
    Hameed 30
    Duckett 38
    Clark 38
    Mullaney 33
    Trego 33
    Moores 20
    Patel 36

If those averages constitute a good batting line God help us. Most of those are heading the wrong way too. As a team wanting to be competitive you would want 2 or 3 players minimum to be averaging well over 40.
    Maybe going back through the years our batting has been helped out with the overseas players.
    Poor group poorly coached. Another season of nothing more than complete disappointment.

It seems strange that you can throw the book at players of NCFC for not being good enough or after those a final pay cheque, yet the above are getting away with impersonating village cricketers.
    You say that the batting line up has been awful for years, but you try to back it up with this year's team.

The batting line up was really good, as Elite says it is attitude. I agree that it went wrong when Read stopped playing, replaced by Moores who is inferior imo.

Nash averages 38
    Hameed 30
    Duckett 38
    Clark 38
    Mullaney 33
    Trego 33
    Moores 20
    Patel 36

If those averages constitute a good batting line God help us. Most of those are heading the wrong way too. As a team wanting to be competitive you would want 2 or 3 players minimum to be averaging well over 40.
    You certainly would, but the stats you have kindly provided only serve to prove the point I was making, which simply stated "the players are definitely good enough if they play anywhere close to their potential". If the players you have quoted only matched their average, it would leave us at 266/8. Taking the Yorkshire match as a benchmark, that would mean that numbers 9, 10 and 11 would only need to contribute 11 runs between them over two innings to claim victory. Even in the latest debacle they contributed 77 runs over both innings, so I'm sure you would agree that 11 runs between six batsmen (3x2) is a very, very small ask.

Don't get me wrong, we are a very long way from being a good side, but we don't need to be a good side to win the occasional game. Given the squad we have, being average would suffice as often as not.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 11-08-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You certainly would, but the stats you have kindly provided only serve to prove the point I was making, which simply stated "the players are definitely good enough if they play anywhere close to their potential". If the players you have quoted only matched their average, it would leave us at 266/8. Taking the Yorkshire match as a benchmark, that would mean that numbers 9, 10 and 11 would only need to contribute 11 runs between them over two innings to claim victory. Even in the latest debacle they contributed 77 runs over both innings, so I'm sure you would agree that 3 runs between six batsmen (3x2) is a very, very small ask.

Don't get me wrong, we are a very long way from being a good side, but we don't need to be a good side to win the occasional game. Given the squad we have, being average would suffice as often as not.
    Fair cop. I just don’t think the players are any good. We have let marginally better players go. Look at how Libby is performing this summer. He showed glimpses for Notts but ultimately, like this batting line up, there were too many bad displays and only the odd good one.
    The collapse we witnessed today is more the norm for this squad and it’s been evident for a few years. I would like to see Newell and Moores replaced and see if a new coach can bring about an improvement from the players, and if not, those players need replacing.
    As a club are we struggling financially that we can not attract half decent players?

Fair cop. I just don’t think the players are any good.
    I don't think it's a great bunch of players, but it's nowhere near as bad as the way they have been performing for the last couple of seasons.

As you said, I've probably typed that a few times before about the other Notts!

Well we celebrated our Relegation from the Championship by giving Peter Moores a new contract for for his failure, sadly this is what you get for offering Rewards for Failure. The man is totally not up to the job, he should return to coaching Schoolboys.

When Notts remove him from his role, what ever that maybe, I will renew my season tickets once more.

We must be one of the few Cricket Clubs that reward failure with a new contract, amazing !!

Moores must be relieved of his Duties sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Bridg4d_Pie_; 12-08-2020 at 08:39 AM.

I think the problems are higher up than Moores the bloke did fail last year but has won titles with Lancashire and Sus*** so he must know what he is doing at this level.

He also won us a one day trophy I believe.

Our structure is stale and has been for years but it makes me wonder if we really care about 4 day cricket as this squad should have won one if not both games so far.

For me, the problem starts with Newell, he was parachuted into a newly created position when we started to do badly (another reward for failure) and popular opinion has it that he's bullet proof due to his domestic arrangements.

Looking good for an excellent first inning score of 250 @ 218 for 1 👍

In red ball cricket the batting has been under performing for an awful long time. Even in seasons when we have done well it has generally been due to Read pulling us out of the crap. Unfortunately it’s now a few years since he’s been gone. I think it’s unfair to pick on Moore’s junior for not being up to Read’s standard. The top 6 simply need to perform more regularly.

I think it’s telling that so few of our batting academy players make it through to be regulars and that averages of other batsmen who join tend to decline....

Some of that will be batting at TB, which can be a challenge, but for me it points directly at the whole set up and in particular the batting coaching.

The only consistent element during this tenure is Newell.

Not sure if Cricinfo is broke it says Notts didn't lose ?!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast