+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: This insanity is endless...

The insanity continues and the BBC is well up in these stakes.
    I just read that Claudia Winkleman is taking over a Radio 2 programme from Graham Norton who is going to Virgin ---it doesn't say how much she is being paid, however, last year she was paid (not earned) £375,000 ---that is £7211.50 per week ------for what?

Graham Norton was paid over £750,000 last year for his BBC work ----almost £14,500 per week!

With money like that, surely they should be running the country because they must be important and know much more than any politician!

The Chief of the Air Staff was paid £190,000 ---mind you he doesn't have any responsibility so doesn't warrant being paid more than BBC presenters. All bloody insane!

Super
    It’s much worse than that.
    Norton’s BBC salary only pays for his BBC Radio show and Eurovision.
    His Friday show gets him an extra £92k per episode x 31 episodes pa paid via the Production company.
    He’s written books too

Claudia also earns an undisclosed amount as an ambassador for Head & Shoulders.

Boris runs the country for £150k

Sir Keir gets £137k for doing little but opposing him.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Super
    It’s much worse than that.
    Norton’s BBC salary only pays for his BBC Radio show and Eurovision.
    His Friday show gets him an extra £92k per episode x 31 episodes pa paid via the Production company.
    He’s written books too

Claudia also earns an undisclosed amount as an ambassador for Head & Shoulders.

Boris runs the country for £150k

Sir Keir gets £137k for doing little but opposing him.
    Aye, when you think of insanity and this sort of thing you realise that you would not like to be in a tight spot and relying on any of these people to step up to the plate --they would want to know what was in it for them before doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    My time was from 1957 to 1964 and I never experienced any of that, in fact, I had a great time playing lots of sport and following my musical ambtions and learning languages. Perhpas I was just lucky.

I'm curious 59, which school are you talking about ? I can confirm what Sub says about Accy Grammer, he was there 7 years, I was there for five years, it wasn't a holiday camp, you were expected to work, but there were no brutal teachers. Some were stricter than others, one or two it was wise to be wary of, but only if you didn't want to be writing lines in detention after school, you were in no physical danger.

It's my honest opinion that if every town in England had a school like Accy Grammar as me and Sub knew it, this country would be be far better educated, with all the benefits that brings, than it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm curious 59, which school are you talking about ? I can confirm what Sub says about Accy Grammer, he was there 7 years, I was there for five years, it wasn't a holiday camp, you were expected to work, but there were no brutal teachers. Some were stricter than others, one or two it was wise to be wary of, but only if you didn't want to be writing lines in detention after school, you were in no physical danger.

It's my honest opinion that if every town in England had a school like Accy Grammar as me and Sub knew it, this country would be be far better educated, with all the benefits that brings, than it is today.
    sinkov-- I totally agree, because if they could achieve what they did with you and me and also countless others of humble means, then many others would have followed, in fact my cousin was another who benefited from Accy Grammar and that was several years after me.
    It was a good experience without doubt.

In my day, there were a few verbally bullying teachers, a few who were laid back, the cane, belt, strap, rubber tubing or plimsoll awaited for those stepping out of line and one teacher hit you on the head with a piece of wood hitting you gently as every word came out of his or your mouth. “You are a stupid boy what are you?” A stupid boy sir.”

I wouldn’t say any were brutal and these things were fairly rare, done once for effect to lay down the law.
    Gradually teachers became friends for most of us. A few recidivists may feel differently. One laid out the headmaster in his office!

Haslingden Grammar was mine.

We all got lucky and passed our 11 plus on a certain day in the early 60's. All my best mates failed, and I knew no one on my first day.

I soon realised that I was below the rest of my class in social status. The teachers made us feel superior to the thickos who were in the Secondary Modern School, including my mates. Social division right there, age 11.

I still mated out with my original friends and didn't meet my classmates outside of school. Two of the teachers in particular had it in for me. Perhaps they were trying to "better" me in their own way - the school had standards to keep up as being superior to the non-grammar schools, and I was a black sheep, Academically, I was good, very good in certain subjects, but I never fitted in with socially superior ethos of the school. And they really loved beating us if we made any transgressions. I left school with zero qualifications.
    When I left school I blossomed at Accy College of Knowledge and ended up at uni, very rare for a working class lad in those days.

If you believe in a two tier education system for young people then I strongly disagree. Eleven is far too young to decide their future based on a single days testing.

You obviously had a better experience than I did at Accy.

we had a History teacher....Miss Worthington, she'd make the kids sit on the floor and recite the lords prayer backwards....another, Mr Brownley (chemistry) chewed gum....but liked it soft, so made one of the girls chew it squishy for him - then there was Pickton (Physics) he'd stick chalk in your ears then'd make you write the names of beatles songs on the blackboard as he called them out - and if the chalk fell out, would make you eat it.

Sick Bastuds.

as sinkov says :
    '' It's my honest opinion that if every town in England had a school like Accy Grammar as me and Sub knew it, this country would be be far better educated, with all the benefits that brings, than it is today.

Then I have to ask ,''what is education?''

Now some of these teachers that we can read about here......
    '' In my day, there were a few verbally bullying teachers, a few who were laid back, the cane, belt, strap, rubber tubing or plimsoll awaited for those stepping out of line ,etc''

''she'd make the kids sit on the floor and recite the lords prayer backwards....another, Mr Brownley (chemistry) chewed gum....but liked it soft, so made one of the girls chew it squishy for him - then there was Pickton (Physics) ,etc etc .........''Sick Bastuds!!!''

Are these examples of a teachers ,who have had a higher, so called higher education? So what is education?

.....and if we take it a step higher to colleges ,universities ,private schools etc ? Some of these 'elite ' are governing ,nay, running your country! .....and what a shambles that is ? This insanity is endless...

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post

I think it's simply the ability to appear on The Chase without looking a complete numpty, something which many of today's snowflakes find way beyond them.

Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)