+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire Day - Led by OUR ROTHERHAM

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Right up your alley then?
    A girl at our school liked it up the gennel

This subject seems to to have caught the attention previously

http://languagehat.com/gennelsnicket/

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    I was a bit confused about the see you in 2023 thing though
    Maybe partially explained by grumpy, with his post about the Yorkshire Day celebrations, does Rotherham get another crack at it in 2023 then?
    In the video description on youtube it says 'Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council confirm their hosting of Yorkshire Day 2023 Official Civic Celebration.'

My second wife was from Manchester and said Ginnel with a hard G (Like gate), as a young un in Dinnington we would say Ginnel but with a soft G (Like gentle)

Never occurred to me they were different words, just the same one with 2 ways of saying it. there's thousands of regional examples of this.

Don't hear it said by adults though, I thought it was a kids saying (Remember children's hands being Dannies)

Anyway, I thought the video was sh1te. I'd rather have seen the ****agers at ARMC on advanc engineering apprenticeships that dancing in front of a fountain over and over.

Passage way isn't used anymore I take it

I once drove to Glasgow with a client to look at a job.
    The caretaker of the building met us and showed us around. We asked where the passage way went and he looked at us with a puzzled look on his face. We describe what we were talking about and he called it a dunny.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post

The caretaker of the building met us and showed us around. We asked where the passage way went and he looked at us with a puzzled look on his face. We describe what we were talking about and he called it a dunny.
    Which is a toilet in Australia

A Scottish dunny is usually underground rather than our ginnel/jennel which is in daylight.
    Last edited by Grist_To_The_Mill; 03-08-2020 at 10:22 PM.

They use “close” in Glasgow but that’s more of indoor way through a block of flats.

The 1st Mrs CA was from Smethwick and it always amused me when my mother-in-law referenced the back passage. I never asked her if she liked it up the .........

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    In the video description on youtube it says 'Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council confirm their hosting of Yorkshire Day 2023 Official Civic Celebration.'
    I'd not noticed that Masbrough, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    I'd not noticed that Masbrough, thanks.
    In these troubled times I wonder how much the video cost to produce and how much it will cost to do the reception ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast