+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howe gone...

Unhappy Howe gone...

Eddie's left the Cherries by "mutual consent".

Here is a photo of the English Premier League's longest serving manager...

Attachment 16475

And long may he reign over us. God save Sean Dyche.

Over the last few years when the media has been discussing the next England manager, Eddie always got mentioned before Sean, I wonder if he's still in front of Sean in the pecking order ?

And I've said this before, although I've nothing against Eddie, I was and still am, distinctly under-whelmed by his spell at Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Over the last few years when the media has been discussing the next England manager, Eddie always got mentioned before Sean, I wonder if he's still in front of Sean in the pecking order ?

And I've said this before, although I've nothing against Eddie, I was and still am, distinctly under-whelmed by his spell at Burnley.
    So, the fact that he signed players such as Ings, Austin, Trippier, plus the current captain ,still left you underwhelmed ?

I think history will show he steadied the ship following the Coyle debacle and prepared the way for Dyche's golden era. I've nothing against Eddie whatsoever, despite him being a southern mard arse.

Eddie who was okay for Burnley and what he did at Bounemouth was nothing more than a miracle.I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    So, the fact that he signed players such as Ings, Austin, Trippier, plus the current captain ,still left you underwhelmed ?
    Nothing to do with the quality of the players he signed mal, like all managers he made some good signings and some were duds, he also signed serial waster Keith Treacy and players who were nowhere near good enough like Porter, Hines and O'Neill. But that's not my issue with him, when he arrived he said it would take a while for the players to adapt to the way he wanted them to play, when he left I was no wiser as to the way he wanted them to play, nothing much had changed, without checking the tables I think he left us more or less where he found us, we just seemed to be treading water.

I can remember one game at Birmingham, we'd lost six of the last eight and in the first half we were shocking, as he walked off at half-time the fans were singing, 'Eddie, Eddie sort it out, Eddie, sort it out', and I was thinking this isn't the way it was meant to be.

I think also his youth might have worked against him, we had a fairly experienced squad at the time, I'm sure some of the players were around the same age as him, maybe he struggled to get the dressing room on his side, maybe some of the senior players found it hard to take a manager of their own age too seriously.

I don't think he took us backwards or anything, but I couldn't see any progress either, and I was expecting, hoping, he'd have us in the play-offs at least, but it didn't seem to be happening. So yes, slightly disappointed and underwhelmed by his time here. I wish it had been otherwise.

Aye. and i remember he had issues with the death of his mother and the fact that his family didn't enjoy living up North.

So he had lots of personal issues that obviously took their toll.

I have nowt against him and I wish him all the best.

Interesting to speculate where Sean would be now if Eddie had stayed a bit longer.

Would he have made a name for himself elsewhere?

Our success has been built on Sean and the board working together on a very specific plan. After our first promotion Sean wanted to concentrate the money on the infrastructure of the club instead of strengthening the team - and The Plan worked brilliantly.

I can't think of Sean getting that level of trust and influence at any other Championship (or lower) club. I well remember after he took over, he priorities the defence - we were leaking goals under Eddie - and the matches were diabolical to watch until the team were used to his tactics. There was the thought that the club had made a mistake in employing Sean and many were calling for his head.
    The following season was superb, and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    and the fact that his family didn't enjoy living up North.
    You may be right 59 and it's my info that's wrong, but I was led to believe it was just Jason and Eddie up here, their families stayed down south.

Eddie always believed that his team would score more than the opposition and it appears that that belief never left him because Bournemouth have conceded plenty if their PL seasons, unfortunately, this last season his strikers stopped scoring and this has cost him.

Interesting thing is that, we played 77 games in the Championship under Eddie and averaged 1.37 points per game. When he came we were 10th in the league and finished that season in 8th place. The following season, his only full one with us, we finished 13th and when he left us during the following seasons we were in 16th place having picked up just 11 points from 10 matches.

When Brian Laws was sacked in December 2010 we had played 21 matches in the Championship and were in 9th place and he had an average of 1.48 points per game.

No doubt at all that Eddie worked wonders at Bournemouth and the fans will be very sad to see him leave, however, that is football.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)