+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many are under contract for next season?

I'd get rid of most of the ex league players in the squad. Need younger energetic players that are hungry. I'm sure most could pick an 11 from the teams in the NL that could do a job, but that style wouldn't suit Ardley to have some tempo in the team.

I wouldn’t make massive changes to the squad. After all this squad was on such a role prior to lockdown that some thought we would win the league. One piss poor performance shouldn’t detract from this.
    Players like Crawford should become established starters for me. He has some quality and needs nurturing by an old pro like a Doyle or O’Brien.
    My understanding is that the National League is looking to start the new season in October when it is hoped supporters would be allowed at games?

Not going to happen.

Give the pessimistic sage farts we will be talking next Summer for the crowds to be allowed back.

The stats show hospital admissions going down, people being ventilated going down, deaths going down.

It’s weakening time to get on with it.

In a Q&A in March Ardley said there were 9 players under contract for 2020/21. I think that is definitely Wootton, Roberts, Enzio and Dennis where contract lengths have been publicly stated. Probably also Slocombe? So actually we'll need to renew / replace quite a few. Given yesterday's performances, I think that flexibility is important. I think we need more pace / younger legs in centre mid and defence. We'll also need some bottle / characters, especially if JOB and Doyle go.

Quote Originally Posted by Evesham Pie View Post
    In a Q&A in March Ardley said there were 9 players under contract for 2020/21. I think that is definitely Wootton, Roberts, Enzio and Dennis where contract lengths have been publicly stated. Probably also Slocombe? So actually we'll need to renew / replace quite a few. Given yesterday's performances, I think that flexibility is important. I think we need more pace / younger legs in centre mid and defence. We'll also need some bottle / characters, especially if JOB and Doyle go.

If Doyle goes then who's gonna pick the team?

Too slow, too predictable, too old.

Which with some lesser teams is ok.

With high energy, high press teams we are 4ked.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    I'd get rid of most of the ex league players in the squad. Need younger energetic players that are hungry. I'm sure most could pick an 11 from the teams in the NL that could do a job, but that style wouldn't suit Ardley to have some tempo in the team.
    I agree, to a point. One thing that yesterday's game showed is that 'pedigree' means bugger all. Our team was packed with players who have played several levels above - Doyle, Turner, Brindley, and Thomas to name a few. Almost all of our side have league experience. Hardly any of Harrogate's side had played in the league, but they were so much better than us.

But we've also signed non-league players who haven't had the energy or drive to make an impact (remember Shaun Shields?).

I honestly don't think we're that far off a promotion-worthy side. I wouldn't want to rip up the squad completely. If we can keep most of that team together, get rid of the deadwood, and sign a couple of energetic midfielders, I think we'll be OK. But league experience clearly shouldn't be a prerequisite.

Sorry if I’ve missed it earlier in the thread but I think we currently have the following players under contract:

Jake Kean – Player/Coach
    Tiernan Brookes – Development contract
    Zoumana Bakayogo – 30.06.21
    Callum Roberts – 30.06.22
    Enzio Boldewijn – 30.06.21
    Kristian Dennis – 30.06.21 (option for additional year)
    Kyle Wootton – 30.06.22

NA alluded to the fact in his interview that they had already identified several signing targets and that he will start talks with current out of contract squad players on Tuesday. He has a full two months to prepare for next season so some wholesale changes in the squad wouldn’t be such a bad thing if done quickly enough.

Of those not under contract I’d like to see him try and keep Slocombe, DKE, Lacey, Rawlo, JOB, Crawford, Thomas and Wilson (if he would come). I like both Booty and McCrory but staying fit has been an issue for both of them.

I’d also like to see him get Bagan and Long back on season long loans. Think that leaves about 10 squad places for new signings?

Who the hell gave Bakayogo a two year deal?!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Not going to happen.

Give the pessimistic sage farts we will be talking next Summer for the crowds to be allowed back.

The stats show hospital admissions going down, people being ventilated going down, deaths going down.

It’s weakening time to get on with it.
    Manchester doubles its infection numbers over the weekend. To the myopic, the virus is on the retreat. Buy specs, jonnyt1

Last edited by jonnyt1; 03-08-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast