+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So What's Needed For Next Season

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Main issue is the manager really needs to not be overpowered by the senior players, or at least grasp how to get the most from them, which doesn’t necessarily mean rolling them out to play every minute, as Harrogate and other teams have shown how the lack of legs can be brutally exploited.

Even at 39, with the levels of fitness he has Doyle could still be a great asset with his professionalism and leadership abilities. But he’s never even been subbed in a game this season, such is his influence. At his age that is absolutely crazy. Yesterday demonstrated in stark terms what happens when all our ‘experience’ comes up against a team with high energy so even if younger midfield reinforcements come in, they’re only going to be useful if they actually get on the pitch. For example, Crawford was brilliant pre-lockdown but wasn’t even given a shot late in the game yesterday.

Similarly, Turner - along with JOB the other most vocal pro in the dressing room - was brought straight back in ahead of arguably our player of the season, and wasn’t even subbed yesterday despite one of the worst individual displays any of our players have produced all season. Turner is one who’s definitely under contract next season and I worry about the state of our defence if he’s guaranteed to play 90 minutes no matter what.

Until Ardley gets control back and isn’t afraid to use these senior pros selectively (when they would undoubtedly be assets), I can’t see us kicking on and pushing for the title next season.
    Great post, spot on
    The point you make about Doyle never being subbed tells you all you need to know about how things are working with NA and the squad. And we all know the Turner over Rawlinson selection was wrong, especially given Rawlo's role in getting us to 3rd in the first place.
    Player power can creep in when a club's as desperate as we were last summer. But as you say, time to switch to MERIT now if we're to stand any chance

We're looking to be a dominant team like Barrow, right?

Even at times when we were picking up points, were we dominant? I didn't see the season like that. Apart from the patch at the end when Roberts ignited us, the season was pretty much a war of attrition. That suggests more changes might be needed than we imagine...
    a minimum of 4 new players in the first 11.

A midfield 2 of O'Brien/Rose and Crawford won't cut it, nor would a 3 of those guys...
    I also think we need a new pair of full-backs
    We have to aim for more than being competitive, but that would mean a bigger overhaul of the team

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Main issue is the manager really needs to not be overpowered by the senior players, or at least grasp how to get the most from them, which doesn’t necessarily mean rolling them out to play every minute, as Harrogate and other teams have shown how the lack of legs can be brutally exploited.

Even at 39, with the levels of fitness he has Doyle could still be a great asset with his professionalism and leadership abilities. But he’s never even been subbed in a game this season, such is his influence. At his age that is absolutely crazy. Yesterday demonstrated in stark terms what happens when all our ‘experience’ comes up against a team with high energy so even if younger midfield reinforcements come in, they’re only going to be useful if they actually get on the pitch. For example, Crawford was brilliant pre-lockdown but wasn’t even given a shot late in the game yesterday.

Similarly, Turner - along with JOB the other most vocal pro in the dressing room - was brought straight back in ahead of arguably our player of the season, and wasn’t even subbed yesterday despite one of the worst individual displays any of our players have produced all season. Turner is one who’s definitely under contract next season and I worry about the state of our defence if he’s guaranteed to play 90 minutes no matter what.

Until Ardley gets control back and isn’t afraid to use these senior pros selectively (when they would undoubtedly be assets), I can’t see us kicking on and pushing for the title next season.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post

Even at times when we were picking up points, were we dominant? I didn't see the season like that. Apart from the patch at the end when Roberts ignited us, the season was pretty much a war of attrition. That suggests more changes might be needed than we imagine...

A midfield 2 of O'Brien/Rose and Crawford won't cut it, nor would a 3 of those guys...
    We have to aim for more than being competitive, but that would mean a bigger overhaul of the team
    It's not Ardley's style though, is it? He appears to prefer experience over competence. Sometimes his team selections are baffling, he never seems to start a game with the players who finished and won the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Another Daft Lad Alert.
    How can anyone defend Ardley. Record so far:-
    1. Got us relegated with a team that continued to be poor after his arrival
    2. Biggest and most expensive squad in the division.
    3. Yes finished 3rd with a slow start but you would expect any half competent manager to achieve that with his resources.
    4. The slow start is no excuse for abject failure at Wembley
    5. Ardleys focus was on what Harrogate would do not on how Notts would win the game
    6. Side looked disorganised and clueless to counter Harrogate therefore the preparation was wrong
    7. After the game Ardley said he did not have a go at the players. What a weak insipid attitude, they needed blasting I would have fined some of them for lack of effort.
    8. Senior professionals clearly took no notice of Ardleys preparation and thought all they had to do was turn up. Almost certainly due to lack of motivation, planning and leadership on Ardleys part and the knowledge that he would let poor performances pass without searching examination of why the player(s) failed

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post

Completely agree.
    More energy and pace needed.

With only one automatic place up for grabs, that team has to dominate the league.

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    Completely agree.
    More energy and pace needed.

With only one automatic place up for grabs, that team has to dominate the league.
    Agree totally. With only one automatic promotion place, the only way to be sure of promotion is by dominating the league, much like Allerdyce's title winning team. The playoffs are always a bit of a lottery. You only need one bad performance and you don't go up. Much safer to build week in week out consistency and win the title.

I'd like to see a flair central midfielder in the Draper style.

What is needed?

Time...patience....and a slightly different plan! After the debacle of last year we had to start pretty much of scratch, and this will take time but it’s worth it....look at Luton, and Harrogate! Stability and slow progress is king, I understand the emotional posts since Sunday but now is the time for us to keep the toys in the pram and get behind the slow building process currently being undertaken at the club. Even the owners said they didn’t expect promotion this year.

On the pitch I think things need tinkering with. Sunday aside we have a solid back line and if we can persuade Lacey to stay and get McCrory back fit we’ll be strong again. I would move Rose into the RB position and move Brindley on and keep Bakayogo as backup for left back.

Midfield is the main problem, and I remember saying this back in December. What formation are we going to play and who are we going to move on? If we’re going to play a 4-4-2 then we must surely move Doyle and O’Brien on....maybe in a coaching role?

In a 4-4-3 we have much better options and could use Doyle or O’Brien much more effectively and try and bring in some energy/muscle/creativity through good old football radar. Maybe two CM’s of two differing styles along with Crawford could see us through and with the options of Enzio, Roberts, Dennis and Thomas we are looking good.

Oh....and let’s start games properly from the off with real intent and desire to dominate teams!

Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It's not Ardley's style though, is it? He appears to prefer experience over competence. Sometimes his team selections are baffling, he never seems to start a game with the players who finished and won the last one.
    He did on Sunday and got hammered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    In a 4-4-3 we have much better options and could use Doyle or O’Brien much more effectively and try and bring in some energy/muscle/creativity through good old football radar. Maybe two CM’s of two differing styles along with Crawford could see us through and with the options of Enzio, Roberts, Dennis and Thomas we are looking good.

Oh....and let’s start games properly from the off with real intent and desire to dominate teams!

Simple.
    To be honest TSANHO, I've always thought playing a 4-4-3 was quite unfair on the opposing team, although it may help with the dominating bit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast